How often do you really crack your Jars??

• Thread starter 30roll
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

62% was not formulated for storing tobacco
Screenshot 20210419 060457 Chrome

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

T
lol. Sorry. It’s for moist flower. Moist doesn’t sound too good. 58% for dry flower it says.
I'm going to just call you Richard.

1997 hard early frost made the corn not mature. Harvested in feb because if it wasn't frozen it made mush and plugged up the shives.

Bushel of corn weights 56lbs

At an ag meetings with the ocpmb and omaf on how to deal with the high moisture tests 40+ it was decided by authorities that a representative weighed sample was to be drawn from the load and microwaved, weighed again do the math and then take the moisture sample.

Delivered 2 gravity wagons to the elevator to be dried and stored and Richard told the driver he wasn't going to weight every load of corn and wouldn't accept it.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

62% is mold cultivating territory. It is not a safe storage humidity at all.

Drying is an art because all the buds are different. You have to dry by feel and smell or you can’t be sure. 58% would be a safe humidity for mold. Under 60%.
Numbers are science!

I have 100 grams sitting out that was pulled at 62% to dry out to do some dry sifting. It should be dry enough to crumble in the morning.
Sample #1. 100 gms of bud at 62% from a vault.

Dried at 80 degrees

97 gms dry

100 ÷ 97 = 1.03

Highest acceptable moisture reading in nevada is 15%......

That sample passed.

Sample #2.
28 gms weighed @ 62%

Dried at 80 degrees

27.2 gms dry

38 ÷ 27.2 = 1.03

growsince79

growsince79

Dried at 80 degrees

97 gms dry

100 ÷ 97 = 1.03

That sample passed.

Sample #2.
28 gms weighed @ 62%

Dried at 80 degrees

27.2 gms dry

38 ÷ 27.2 = 1.03
That's not the way the math works. 100-97= 3. 3/100= 3%

HeathenFarmer

HeathenFarmer

I'm confused. I thought that putting herb in a sealed jar would eventually equalize the internal moisture content of the flower with the ambient humidity in the jar, so a hygrometer in the jar would tell you the moisture content of the flower as well? If not then it's really just a guessing game unless you want to do maths. More art than science?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm confused. I thought that putting herb in a sealed jar would eventually equalize the internal moisture content of the flower with the ambient humidity in the jar, so a hygrometer in the jar would tell you the moisture content of the flower as well? If not then it's really just a guessing game unless you want to do maths. More art than science?
It does but you are using 2 different calculations. 1 moisture content of the bud and 2 moisture content in the air relative to temperature.

So moisture content is always the same relative humidity changes based on temp with the same moisture content.

Eg say a room has 1 cup of water in the air... you raise the temperature and the RH will change but the moisture content stays the same. By raising the temperature the humidity will go down because warmer air holds more moisture so the saturation point rises and this means the 1 cup of water is not only say 40% of the saturation point. Then lower the temos and because colder air holds less water it becomes 60% of the saturation point.

All when the moisture content has stayed the same.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Dried at 80 degrees

97 gms dry

100 ÷ 97 = 1.03

That sample passed.

Sample #2.
28 gms weighed @ 62%

Dried at 80 degrees

27.2 gms dry

38 ÷ 27.2 = 1.03

I have no doubt it was dry at 80 degrees in Nevada. Shame you have it dry so fast. I am not the drying police. Lol. I just saw something I knew wasn’t right. And I have seen a lot of moldy bud out here. So I’m mold paranoid. I am highly allergic.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I am positive it is more of a guessing game after harvesting hundreds of different plants all in a row every week or two for years. The bud structure causes different drying times and so does the environment. The jar needs to open to let out building up moisture at different time and frequency for best results. I have 5 different weeds jarred right now. They are kept in the same room in the same container. They all need different drying tactics. I would never trust the humidity in the jar over my sense of smell and touch.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It does but you are using 2 different calculations. 1 moisture content of the bud and 2 moisture content in the air relative to temperature.

So moisture content is always the same relative humidity changes based on temp with the same moisture content.

Eg say a room has 1 cup of water in the air... you raise the temperature and the RH will change but the moisture content stays the same. By raising the temperature the humidity will go down because warmer air holds more moisture so the saturation point rises and this means the 1 cup of water is not only say 40% of the saturation point. Then lower the temos and because colder air holds less water it becomes 60% of the saturation point.

agreed. And also different plant matter dries or holds moisture differently from density and structure. Also how wet the weed was when started drying. That is also a variable.

Moshmen

Moshmen

U a weatherman on the side? Lol u just described how the dew point works as as well

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

agreed. And also different plant matter dries or holds moisture differently from density and structure. Also how wet the weed was when started drying. That is also a variable.
Yes 100% as can be seen in the moisture meters. They are a best guess based on density. The best way is to weigh when 100% then dry completely and weigh again. That's just not very feasible in cannabis yet. So we rely on best guess technology. I would also agree to an earlier point that an experienced person can likely be as or more accurate than almost any method we use as home growers.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

U a weatherman on the side? Lol u just described how the dew point works as as well
Haha yes that's exactly right. This is why temp is a fine balance.

The way I see it through all I have learned is that we want a slow constant travel of moisture from the middle outward and drawn out of the bud. If this is happening we have little to no risk of mold or bacteria infection.

Imo if you have conditions even for a relatively short period where the bud is drawing moisture from the air then that creates a real risk of infection as it draws in contamination.

Also if you have a surface that's wet or having condensate say drying in high RH with no air movement.

Equal is ok but never more moisture in the air than the buds.

Just my opinion based on what I consider a fair bit of research. But understand that opinion is also based on my interpretation of that research so take it for what ya will.

HeathenFarmer

HeathenFarmer

Wow great responses. I love learning new things. As with all great things, it's as much art as science.
And I'm a totally process based personality. I enjoy the process of anything too much to take shortcuts.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes 100% as can be seen in the moisture meters. They are a best guess based on density. The best way is to weigh when 100% then dry completely and weigh again. That's just not very feasible in cannabis yet. So we rely on best guess technology. I would also agree to an earlier point that an experienced person can likely be as or more accurate than almost any method we use as home growers.

growers have been measuring the wet weed and then weighing till 20-25% remains as long as I have been smoking. The 25% dry weight number is in all the old grow books. It’s still the only way to be sure. And you still have to check to find individual wetter buds.

Now how could you do that with a massive modern commercial grow? Unless you have a trailer scale I guess you can never be sure. Someone always gets too dry or moldy weed from massive harvests. Quality is variable the bigger you go.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I have no doubt it was dry at 80 degrees in Nevada. Shame you have it dry so fast. I am not the drying police. Lol. I just saw something I knew wasn’t right. And I have seen a lot of moldy bud out here. So I’m mold paranoid. I am highly allergic.
Missed my point. Im in montana.

Not all Legal states require testing for moisture and Nevada being one says if its over 15% moisture its rejected.

Michigan also tests for moisture but couldn't find it so i used Nevada

Top Bottom