How often do you really crack your Jars??

• Thread starter 30roll
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If the RH is in the 60-65%, do you really need to crack everyday??
Depends on the stage. I usually seal em up once they are steady 60-63% for at least few weeks and longer if I can to cure. Then open em up and lower to 52-58% for a nice burn. 60-63% good for dry flower vape but a nicer burn for joints, pipes or bongs at 52-55% even up to 58%.

You will prob find a lot of different opinions but that what I like and works for me.

30roll

30roll

Yes, there seems to be differing opinions.. But on average, would you all agree that you should cure for at least 4 weeks??

I'm in the 1st week of cure and they are in the zone. You think it's fine to just forget about them for a few weeks??

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes, there seems to be differing opinions.. But on average, would you all agree that you should cure for at least 4 weeks??

I'm in the 1st week of cure and they are in the zone. You think it's fine to just forget about them for a few weeks??
Personal choice bro. Try some of each and see what you like. Just make sure they are not to moist or sweat after.

I should add I use pails... I know that's a whole other conversation. I don't fill mine more than 1/3 to 1/2 full.

If I was doing jars full I would lean more towards what @growsince79 does and burping more often.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Every strain, plant, bud, location, climate and grower and even container size can be different.

And the rh of the air around the buds is somewhat meaningless to what is left inside.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Every strain, plant, bud, location, climate and grower and even container size can be different.

And the rh of the air around the buds is somewhat meaningless to what is left inside.
100% agree

Rh of the air does indicate moisture of the bud but does have an effect on it. If the moisture content of the air is equal to the bud the moisture in the bud will stay the same. Lower it will lower the moisture of the bud over time as they equalize. Higher... you want to avoid at all costs and why we burp unless you like bacteria and mold.

RookieBuds

RookieBuds

My opinion, I base it mostly on looks and smell. Here's what I mean: during cure, I notice a sort of "buttery green" quality dissipate as time goes on. I also tumble the jars to see how much the buds are still clumping; if after 12 hours or so sitting, if I turn the jar upside down and the whole of buds just stays one big clump, I tumble the jar and burp it. After, say 2 weeks of doing that, I will notice the buds want to more freely fall when I turn the jar over, yet there will still be SOME clumping because they're still resinous buds pressed together.

I honestly stopped worrying about stuff like RH inside the jar, because quite frankly I don't want to "split hairs" throughout my grow, or use or rely on any equipment if I don't have to. Curing can be learned "manually" same as you learned to drive stick, or tune your guitar by ear. Just keep doing it. I mean hell, I don't even monitor PPM or EC (yet) and I'm growing danker dank than I thought I would by now.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Cannabis processors are already comfortable with the concept of water activity (aw)—they just know it as relative humidity (RH). Relative humidity is measured in air and expressed on a scale from 0-100%. Water activity is the same concept applied to a porous medium like food, pharmaceuticals, or cannabis, and it’s expressed on a scale from 0-1.00. When cannabis flower is in equilibrium with the air around it, the relative humidity of the air will be equal to the water activity of the cannabis x 100 and expressed as a percentage.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You sure you read this?

Read the first paragraph here in the article

5B4C65CB 2494 41C8 92AA 8CA93E073761

“None offers a truly objective measurement”

And read the second paragraph here about the wood moisture meter needed for his even better guesstimate. Lol

1C684BAD 049F 489E 97FD 66177E085257

this is a silly pitch to sell his book. Not science at all.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

You sure you read this?

View attachment 1114791

And read the second paragraph here about the wood moisture meter needed for his even better guesstimate. Lol

View attachment 1114792

Numbers are science!

I have 100 grams sitting out that was pulled at 62% to dry out to do some dry sifting. It should be dry enough to crumble in the morning.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You sure you read this?

View attachment 1114791

View attachment 1114792

I mean it's best guess scenario... a tool to get ya in the ballpark. Just like how I used RH after it's stable a few days. Just a form of measurement to give me something to compare to until I found what works well for me. But like plants the more familiar you get with the buds the less you need to rely on guidelines... again guidelines not rules and better than nothing when you are completely unfamiliar.

I agree for those who have done this for long enough it probably seems ridiculous but helpful for those who haven't got there yet.

Explaining texture and smells of varying strains, bud sizes and density is much harder to do and understand and definitely less accurate to translate for learning purposes.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

62% is mold cultivating territory. It is not a safe storage humidity at all.

Drying is an art because all the buds are different. You have to dry by feel and smell or you can’t be sure. 58% would be a safe humidity for mold. Under 60%.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

the reason I grow is because ever since I had been using “legal” or “medical” weed I was coughing up black shit from my lungs. Rarely happened in all my years with the black market. Although with the wrong connection it sure could. It went away when I started only smoking my own. When I looked with a microscope there are often tiny black mold dots on perfectly good looking and smelling buds. When I asked my caregiver how he dried his weed and others they all told me the same shit as you guys are. Hygrometers and boveda packs. And now there is evidence that most of the weed tested in Michigan had some mold.

it’s why I called out someone here for selling still wet weed even if he thought it felt dry “enough”. Takes 2-4 weeks in my experience to be sure buds have expelled enough moisture to be safe. Doesn’t matter if burped in jars or containers or even in a humidor room. Takes time to dry properly.

Those packs are repurposed for the uneducated weed industry from specific cigar and tobacco conditions. That’s just leaves. Buds hold internal moisture. You aren’t reading that with the air around the bud. And those packs were only designed for long term storage of already fully dry weed.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If 62% is prime mold territory, then why are there 62 packs for storage? IMO that's only true if conditions for mold were present prior to jarring.

I agree. I just commented about this. I’m saying using the hygrometer at 62% to know if and when to burp out is not safe or accurate.

And don’t forget. The 62% packs are made to store dry tobacco leaves. Not buds with possible internal moisture.

Latest posts

Top Bottom