How often should I change my DWC nutritions?

• Thread starter AnubisQQ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnubisQQ

AnubisQQ

This would be my first grow and I’m on week 3 and I’m growing 2 plants in a 5 gallon DWC changing nutritious every week. Should I wait a bit longer? I want the most you can get out of the nutritions. Right now they are smaller then I think they should be. Any advice would be helpful.
BB6324C6-85C9-428F-8D35-F8C7545286D7.jpeg
E12CB6AD-CFA7-45AF-8F3C-99076D767A4C.jpeg
7A17AAB4-35DE-4E35-AD02-83B371720B06.jpeg

1 week in germination and 2 weeks today in DWC.
Any tips or anything you think might be useful feel free to comment.
And I turn off the lights for 4 hours and then on for 20 hours. Not sure if I have the right light cycle at this stage.
LED 900w on Vegetation setting.

Last edited:
chemistry

chemistry

Look fine to me, keep going as you are. Changing your nuits depends on how heavy your feeding, and how much salt builds up. Or you can change it every week, two weeks, or a monthy. I would if I were you being new, I would change every two weeks at the most until you can pick out plant signs that it needs changing.

Last edited:
AnubisQQ

AnubisQQ

Look fine to me, keep going as you are. Changing your nuits depends on how heavy your feeding, and how much salt builds up. Or you can change it every week, two weeks, or a monthy. I would if I were you being new, I would change every two weeks at the most until you can pick out plant signs that it needs changing.
Light cycles okay? One of the big things that’s been bothering me.

AnubisQQ

AnubisQQ

19876863 AC7F 4B68 A24C A2804BB63F34

Not exactly sure what the problem is. PPM is around 490 and the pH is at 5.8

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

How do the roots look. Where is your watering at? What are your water temps?

AnubisQQ

AnubisQQ

How do the roots look. Where is your watering at? What are your water temps?
6C5BA0F8 135C 4120 B70A E1B02DF5B4F7
F56799EA 15A8 45CD 9175 427D19864FFD

Front and back side of the roots. Temp is at 70 and the water level is about 3 inches from the top of the bucket. Not exactly sure what the problem is. Already swapped out the water/new nutritions and still running into problems.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 914410View attachment 914411
Front and back side of the roots. Temp is at 70 and the water level is about 3 inches from the top of the bucket. Not exactly sure what the problem is. Already swapped out the water/new nutritions and still running into problems.
Lower the water to 1" below the bottom of the net pot. Having that rockwool sit in the water is not good. The bubbles breaking the surface will be enough to keep the roots moist untill they reach the water.

FourthCity

FourthCity

View attachment 914330
In addition to what aquaman said about the water level I would also change your rockwool placement for the next grow. I see your rockwool is sitting at the very top of the net pot, this keeps it out of the optimal moisture zone. I think you would see faster early growth if you started with a layer of hydroton one pebble high, placed the rockwool on top of that, and completely fill it in around the edges so you can only see the plant sticking out. This allows the roots a shorter path to the reservoir and a better environment for them to thrive which will improve topside growth as well. Might want to also dial the nutes back a little too. See pictures of my plant below for an example, like yours it had a one week germination and is at two weeks in the dwc as shown, nutes between 350-400ppm with hardwater.
20191125 194641 HDR

20191125 194620 HDR

Slight brown color in the roots is from product called Great White, not rot I promise.

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
View attachment 914330

looks to be PH fluctuation by the spotting on the leafs. DWC are bastards at keeping PH correct. are making all your water at the same time? example i use a 20 gal tub and add all my nuts and stuff then let it sit with a stone in it blasting full bore all the while i will keep checking the PH and PPM till they are stable, then i will divide the water to each bucket cleaning each one as i go. makes it simple and straightforward for me. i also use ACCR and just add it to tap water. BOL to you sir and take everything i said with a grain of salt. also i'm staying away from powder products as i feel they cause salt build up on the roots. if you see any while cleaning buckets changing water, just rinse the roots with prepared water and go. man i'm stoned...

OG
om namah shivaya

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
In addition to what aquaman said about the water level I would also change your rockwool placement for the next grow. I see your rockwool is sitting at the very top of the net pot, this keeps it out of the optimal moisture zone. I think you would see faster early growth if you started with a layer of hydroton one pebble high, placed the rockwool on top of that, and completely fill it in around the edges so you can only see the plant sticking out. This allows the roots a shorter path to the reservoir and a better environment for them to thrive which will improve topside growth as well. Might want to also dial the nutes back a little too. See pictures of my plant below for an example, like yours it had a one week germination and is at two weeks in the dwc as shown, nutes between 350-400ppm with hardwater.
View attachment 914425
View attachment 914424
Slight brown color in the roots is from product called Great White, not rot I promise.

what he said ^^ man i bought those bubble brother buckets off the jungle and i hate the insides!! they have a raised center they claim helps the roots grow around and not straight down or some such horse shit they speak on some coast. point being it keep the rockwool up to high. in their defense the roots do spread out once they take hold/

OG

om namah shivaya

FourthCity

FourthCity

what he said ^^ man i bought those bubble brother buckets off the jungle and i hate the insides!! they have a raised center they claim helps the roots grow around and not straight down or some such horse shit they speak on some coast. point being it keep the rockwool up to high. in their defense the roots do spread out once they take hold/

OG

om namah shivaya
The Bubble Brothers lids are a little gimmicky but that raised platform is hollow and perforated which is better than sitting the rockwool on top of a bunch of hydroton. I agree traditional 6" net pots/lids are the way to go. As my plants get older the roots usually fill in outwards from the center of the netpot eventually climbing up the sides.

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
i agree, cool concept and it works well more or less but more gimmick than innovation. i wish they offered a choice when you ordered. but one month in and i'm buying pumps
and hose on amazon along with 6" trad nets. buckets and the rest at lowes. hey @FourthCity remember these ? hahah how fast a stoner can get his right when properly motivated . i got a long ways to go but feeling good about my 1st grow so far. i hate that stupid growbox i bought!!! but i have a second tent and cheap purple light coming friday so i can set up a flower tent. once again and i know i said this but thanks for your kindness and wisdom. hope we can meet up one day and i get you so high you just start pouring out the knowledge !!! have a great day and happy thanksgiving

OG
in the garden on the farm always medicated

img_4134-jpg.914633

AnubisQQ

AnubisQQ

*1 week later*
7663D396 A3FE 492B AB6E 669FF4642F4A
84E4227A 0866 438C 85BB 3A73D2BD084A
73D1366B 75AB 477A B37E BFCB699ECA1E
2816D032 0628 4BC4 A27E 844BA5CB15DE

Toke everything you guys said and got results. Another thing, when’s a good time to start trimming the bottom? I heard the bottom leafs don’t contribute and only absorb nutritions. Thanks for all the help.

FourthCity

FourthCity

*1 week later*
View attachment 916257View attachment 916258View attachment 916259View attachment 916260
Toke everything you guys said and got results. Another thing, when’s a good time to start trimming the bottom? I heard the bottom leafs don’t contribute and only absorb nutritions. Thanks for all the help.
Looks like they are making a nice recovery, good job! I don't usually start any serious defoliation until 2-3 weeks into flower, I like to be able to do it all in one go and not have to keep coming back for more.

AnubisQQ

AnubisQQ

How are you’re guys plants going so far? I been thinking of stress training my plants. Have you guys done this before? And what stage is best for it? I just wanna know everything about everything. You could only be new once.

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Grow an extra plant and screw with it after seedling stage (5 nodes) until a few weeks after the light flip. Best way to learn. Taught myself how to Top, FIMM and supercrop from following this amazing forum. Best successes can come from hands on mistakes.

Top Bottom