How to avoid the popcorn nugs?

• Thread starter Green Giant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MitchyNugz

MitchyNugz

What size pots you using as well those look like some big tall ladies in pretty small pots......bigger pots= bigger roots=bigger buds!

ralphy

ralphy

Remove any small buds, leave the main buds, strip the bottom leaves which don't get much light and train. Should result in nice, fat buds every time.

T

tedsprogz

people have been giving GREAT advice but are missing a very critical variable: Inter-node spacing.
OGK is good for keeping short node spacing. This is achieved in a combination of things that all work together to get you solid buds from node #1 and up.

TEMP:
If you run c02, then you can be mid-high 80's even low 90's.
Here's the key...the difference between the night/day temps needs to be minimal to keep nodes tightly packed.

Quote from cannabis culture:
"Plant internodal length is directly related to the difference between day and night temperatures – the warmer your day cycle is as compared to your night cycle, the greater your internode length will be. The opposite also holds true; the closer your day and night temperatures, the shorter your internodes will be."

LIGHT: YOUR PLANTS NEED INTENSE LIGHT!
They will run for the light if enough intense light is not present. This actually gets worse if there is an intense light, but too far away. This is very important at the start of flower.(not saying to burn your fresh new growth, but don't be scared to beam the light on em).
Veg under MH bulbs! KEEP IT ON ALONGSIDE THE HPS FOR FIRST 2 WEEKS OF FLOWER AND LAST 1-2 WEEKS OF FLOWER!
Try an keep light out during the dark cycle.

TRAINING:
I don't top or fimm...If you bend the top you were going to top or pinch, the new chutes that grow when you top/fimm still grow...the key to LST'ing is knowing why it works. Plants use the intensity of the light received at the different parts of itself to determine which top is the "TOP". This is called apical dominance. Tops receiving the most light will produce IAA which inhibits growth below said top. Bending the top so that the light is as intense on the"v"(where the new growth will come from) as it is on the top (or any part of the plant) will result in the new growth that is desired when you top/fimm/LST.
Ever seen a dialed-in SCROG? They produce very uniform buds .
Also there is no recover time or shock associated with LST'ing.
Keep plants far enough away from each other to promote airflow and reduce shadowing, while still utilizing the light.

HUMIDITY:
Keep it under control as you will have tighter packed buds so they may rot/mold if not careful.
As with the temperature, don't let it fluctuate during day/night(this can prove tricky due to increased transpiration at night.)

STRESS:
DONT!

Follow those as well as the general guidelines, and that OGK will show you some love!!

*OFF TOPIC* I have "trained" a plant without ever touching her...this was done with CFL's with reflectors and some nice articulating clamps. The main source of light was an overhead 150W HPS. I would beam the main stem node vertices with the CFL and the tops would slow down and the new growth would catch up. It was cool to be able to pick where i wanted tops and point to it and viola haha.

Green Giant

Green Giant

OK, I tried my hand at LST or at least what I think is LST..... What do you guys think? Please comment good or bad.
6 11 2012 LST 001
6 11 2012 LST 005
6 11 2012 LST 006

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

You got the right idea by tieing down branches to the side of the bucket. It's hard to start training plants after they are so big and the stem is hard to bend. Take the top of the plant, bend it over and tie it down, everyday bend it a lil more until you get it where you want. Not bad for your 1st time with big plants.

Next time make sure you start when they are young so you can easily manipulate your plants.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

The plant in the 1st pic looks like its been topped?? Take both stems and bend them over in seperate directions, don't even worry about the side branches for now. As long as the main stems are bent then some of the side branches that are pointing up will become the dominant branch so when that happens just tie them down so it lays horizontal.

The most important thing is to start topping early (after 4th or 5th node) and tie the branches so they don't get tall at all. I'll put a couple pics of my current plant so you can see.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Topped 1

Topped 2

Both pics are of the same plant. In the 1st pic it shows how wide and even the canopy is in a 5 gallon bucket, I just pinched the 2 tops last nite to make it more even because I want a flat canopy not a dome like you see in the pic. The 2nd pic shows how the base of the stem only has 4 main branches all growing horizontally. Thats because I topped after the 4th node and I trimmed the bottom 4 branches leaving the top 4. I also forced the top 2 branches to grow sideways by tieing them down.

You can't do this to your current plants because they are too big, but, I hope this makes it easier for you to understand what to do when you start your next grow.

monkeymun

monkeymun

Stocky little plant Lex. How old was that when that shot was taken?

Green Giant

Green Giant

OK I grabbed one of my little ladies last night and gave it another go!! Is this when and how you suggest doing it?
6 12 2012 001
6 12 2012 004

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Stocky little plant Lex. How old was that when that shot was taken?

I took that pic yesterday and its in the 1st week of flower plus I vegged for 5 weeks so its about 6 weeks total from seed. I only topped it once but its an indica dominant strain that naturally grows wider then taller. With something like OG Kush thats known for long internodal spacing I would of topped it a few more times.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

@Green Giant- Thats alot better!! Now as the top grows towards the light just keep tieing it down so it grows in a circle. I would transplant in a bigger pot so you can tie it around the outer edge of the pot. Did you top it?? Because if you didn't now would be the perfect time to do so then after the 2 new tops grow about 2 inches tie them down. If you don't wanna top it you could just keep tieing the top down like you are doing now and thats a great way to LST.

Either way you choose to train that plant should come out alot better then the other ones because you started training early in it's life cycle. Good luck!!

Green Giant

Green Giant

Lex, in your pictures, how tall is that plant? Have you ran them like this before? If so how much yield did you get? Thank you and all the rest for the help.... Much appreciated.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

No, I have not topped it yet. Where would I top it at?

Since you already tied it down I wouldn't top that one ,just keep tieing it in a circle, if you have another young plant that has not been LST'd I would top it. It's kinda hard to explain exactly where to cut it and it might be better for you to go on YouTube and search "how to Top a cannabis plant". I will explain the best I can. At the top of the plant where the new growth is coming out of, take a pair of sharp scissors and snip off the stem just above the second to last node. Like I said before it's probably easier for you to understand how to Top if you visually see someone doing it, so check out YouTube just to be safe.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Lex, in your pictures, how tall is that plant? Have you ran them like this before? If so how much yield did you get? Thank you and all the rest for the help.... Much appreciated.

From the soil to the top of the canopy is 12" tall and I topped it at 6", but from 1 leave to the other its about 21" wide and its still gonna grow more within the next 7-10 days because it's still in the "stretch" phase of flower. Yes, I have ran them like this before and the yield depends on alot of factors. I'm using a 600w HPS so with only 1 plant at the size it is I'll get about 6 ounces from this 1 plant. With my light and the way I train them I think the most plants I should have would be 4. Now if I grew 4 plants at the same time like this I would get about 4 ounces from each one because I wouldn't allow them to get as wide as this 1 plant.

monkeymun

monkeymun

Keep us updated man, keen to see how it turns out seeing as it's just started flowering.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

If Green Giant doesn't mind, I'll do an update once a week or so just to show ya'll how it turns out.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Day 11 of bloom,

I just watered it yesterday with plain distilled H2O, right now she is drinking about 3/4 gallon every couple days. She grew some since those pics I posted last week, now she is 14" tall and 25" wide.

Topped 3
Topped 4

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I'm feeding her FF Tiger Bloom at 1 tsp/gallon as the primary and GH KoolBloom at 1/2 tsp/gallon as the PK boost. I'm also giving her one more lil dose of FF Grow Big at 1 tsp/gallon because she is still in her 2nd week of stretch. I'll up the dosage of TB and KB depending on what week of flower she is on. There is still some tips of the leaves curling inwards but its been like that sinse the start of flower and it doesn't seem to be affecting new growth, only the big, old fan leaves.

Hey Green Giant, let me know if you want me to stop my updates and start my own thread. I don't wanna thread jack anybody.

Top Bottom