How to build up the trichome

• Thread starter cansa0722
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Dear CN,
Look up John Lydon, USDA, University of MD, College Park, around 194ish. He and I were graduate students in the same department. John's research involved studying the effects of UV lights on terpenes and cannabinoid production in marijuana plants. His research was paid for the US government and John grew the plants in a Doberman guarded green house in Beltsville, MD. USDA. We all helped John harvest, extract and analyze. Of course, some chaff fell to the floor. We used to call is nuclear, glowed in the dark. BUT, It was all leaves, very green healthy leaves. Zero buds. Sex wasn't considered. But those leaves were potent. Not very fragrant but powerful.

This year, I am a one-time outdoor single plant grower. I know my way around plants pretty well. I'm impressed with this forum. Don't kid yourself growing with artificial media and lighting while fighting disease and insects, humidity, fans, C02, moisture is not easy. You control everything. I have not seen mention of using UV light to stimulate resin production. Maybe UV has been mentioned to decontaminate but to supplement the grow lights.

I'll find the article and share.

Zill.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I found his article,

John used UVB, not as bad as UVC but more energetic than UVA. Ranges not single wavelengths.

UV B and C are too much for plants or people. A is far safer and can be given in larger doses.
We have always run ours for an hour a day with no ill effects. These new ones by Spider Farmer put out more than the lights we were using so we will adjust and start with 15 minutes a day.

Last edited:
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Omg. How’s come? Any nutes?
I don't know,that's a deep chunk pic,it's genetic, every once in a while a real gem comes out of a seed batch. They got lucky,I don't know how many they planted,it's not mine.

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

I looked at that one today, just wondering about our eyes with the UV light, as it is the light isn't great...ad UV??...blind harvest?
Ive used UVB since my last harvest, I didnt see a big difference, but didnt have it on for all but a couple weeks. I have the Migro UVB flourescent. A lot of the LED ones dont actually put off an appreciable amount of UVB. Migro did a lot of testing of other UVBs and then later came out with his own. Generally the recommended use is to have it on for 2-3hrs in the middle of your light cycle. For me and I suspect many others, my day cycles is actually at night so the middle is actually midnight. That gives me a good 5 hrs to do what I have to do each night before the UV light comes on. Otherwise if I have to go in the room while its on I just reach in and pull the power lol. I just make sure to have my glasses on and try not to stare at the bulb.

The jurys still out for me on UV light having any meaningful impact but Ill have a better idea after my current grow.

freezeland2

freezeland2

UV B and C are too much for plants or people. A is far safer and can be given in larger doses.
We have always run ours for an hour a day with no ill effects. These new ones by Spider Farmer put out more than the lights we were using so we will adjust and start with 15 minutes a day.
I run UV A supplement 12 hrs a day in my flower room.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I run this bar

30 watts. We will have a pair of 30w for full coverage. So we can run them for 6 hours if they have the same output.

freezeland2

freezeland2

30 watts. We will have a pair of 30w for full coverage. So we can run them for 6 hours if they have the same output.
Why only 6 hrs? I only run mine during flower and run it the entire 12 hrs. First time I used it I ramped up slow a couple hours each week until week 6 it was at 12. Didn’t find no benefit with that conservative of an approach. Last few grows I plugged it into the same timer as my main light running 12/12. The biggest benefit I have using it is it seems to bring on a quicker finish to my plants.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Why only 6 hrs? I only run mine during flower and run it the entire 12 hrs. First time I used it I ramped up slow a couple hours each week until week 6 it was at 12. Didn’t find no benefit with that conservative of an approach. Last few grows I plugged it into the same timer as my main light running 12/12. The biggest benefit I have using it is it seems to bring on a quicker finish to my plants.
We will experiment. Don't want to burn up the plants. It might end up at 12 hours.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Thanks for info. Will we boost stalks to make it develops trichomes?
i think it's genetic and if given what it needs a particular plant is only so capable,they are a defense mechanism companion planting for competition ,some stresses like UV ,a dry atmosphere,and lots of room will produce more resin in existing trichromes,but quality and amount are not hand in hand.

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

Found out the exact same thing using the exact same light. I started using it at 2 hours, and ramped up to 12 hours over a 4 week period. Now I just plug it in to the same timer as the light.

Benefits for me appear around the tops. With the most exposed parts showing extra resin. Is that from the UV light? Can't tell. Need to wait for my next summer grow to compare since temps are so different with the winter grows.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Found out the exact same thing using the exact same light. I started using it at 2 hours, and ramped up to 12 hours over a 4 week period. Now I just plug it in to the same timer as the light.

Benefits for me appear around the tops. With the most exposed parts showing extra resin. Is that from the UV light? Can't tell. Need to wait for my next summer grow to compare since temps are so different with the winter grows.
UV is a stressor and causes the plant to make more resin that blocks the UV.
After doing some reading, we might run it for the full 18/6 24/7.

Z

Zill

Very good, CN. Like I said the output from the research were not tight gummy buds. Just simple huge fanleaves that blew the top of heads off.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Very good, CN. Like I said the output from the research were not tight gummy buds. Just simple huge fanleaves that blew the top of heads off.
I have no problem rolling a couple of fan leaves up and taking a toke or twelve. Hand rolled Mary Cigars.

freezeland2

freezeland2

UV is a stressor and causes the plant to make more resin that blocks the UV.
After doing some reading, we might run it for the full 18/6 24/7.
Interested in that result. Please let us know. I haven’t ran it in veg and don’t know what the benefit of doing so it would be.

Z

Zill

See what happens. It an ordinal research article published in a good, referred journal. The materials and methos sections are pretty detailed and clear.

Top Bottom