how to decide which plant to reverse

• Thread starter Str8Dank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Str8Dank

Str8Dank

breeders help me figure out something i have no clue about. if you are going to reverse a plant to get pollen to pollinate another female plant how do you make a selection of which plant to reverse? are there traits of a plant that make you decide say plant x is the one to reverse instead of plant y when they are both females? has anyone noticed any consistency in reversed polling taking the dom or the female being dom in the off springs?

im getting ready to reverse a plant soon and using the pollen to hit another strain that is clone only as well and i just realized i never knew if there was any protocol or attributes that make one a better candidate then the other.

the only thing i know is that sts stresses a plant so the most resilient of the two would make the most sense if trying to reverse multiple branches.

L

LBZ Farmer

Why not take clones of both and reverse both and then cross polinate both... then grow out both sets of seeds and see what you think? Might turn out the same but it could be a cool experiment. You might find out one produces less hermie plants?

O

Ohsogreen

Str8Dank... To anwser your question. I have several for you.
What are your goals for this project ?
Improving structure, node spacing, bud density, color, potency, type of high, or overall yield ?
Are both potential parents, special in some particular way ?
Are they both Indy dom, Sat dom, or a mix of both ?
Have you grown them each before, and are you familar with each of the phenos they posses ?
Once that is all sorted out, cut four clones from each potential parent, let them root, then stress tests the potential parents. Switch up light schedules, feed heavy, then light, let growing medium pH drift and see if they are quick to hermie. If either parent hermies easily, it should be disqualified as a potential parent (unless it's just the dankest thing on the planet).
If both potential parents resist herming easily, then take one clone of each potential parent and begin spraying it twice daily with STS or Collidial Silver. Do this for three weeks, along with using a 12/12 light schedule on these. If both reverse, use the one that took the longest to reverse as the father, on three of the clones of the opposite parent.
If you do that, the chances of the reversed father dominating the cross is greater. However, there are no guarantees. The only way to know what will really happen, is to grow the seeds out afterwards.
This method does improve your chances of finding better parents.
If the offspring seem to be lacking, take the healthiest looking female (reverse it) and dust a clone (from the clone (mother plant) you did not pollenate), and grow out those seeds. Often, this first backcross to a parent of the original cross, will strengthen up the traits you found to your liking to begin with.
After you get that far, let us know what's up.... success or still a work in progress.....
True breeding is time comsuming, requires you to grow out plants in numbers, test, test some more, then have others test your work. Only then can it be considered solid, and your work be considered to be legit.... IMHO

420king-MASSES

im with lbz on this thats probly gonna be ur safest bet

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Str8Dank... To anwser your question. I have several for you.

True breeding is time comsuming, requires you to grow out plants in numbers, test, test some more, then have others test your work. Only then can it be considered solid, and your work be considered to be legit.... IMHO
Str8, you know this is your very best advice, yes?
Ohso is a force to be reckoned with!

Whether it's this kind of force ---> :fighting0084: or this kind of force ---> :nerd is for you to decide for yourself. :smoke

707seedbank

707seedbank

Supporter
Its a hit or miss with seeds. Take lbz advise and do them both.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

a few years ago i sts'd a chocolate diesel plant and used the pollen on the clone of the original plant
the choco diesel was a f1 btw
a associate wanted some choco d again so i planted 10 s1's of this particular pheno and although they are not done yet, there are 10 different pheno's judging by physical stature alone with only one resembling the original parents
so much for a s1 being identical to the parent
i'll have to wait to see how close it resembles it's parents as far as smoke quality
what i found interesting is that i also used some of this pollen on a piss kush/nl clone and that the s1's grow a lot slower then the crosses/ i.e. the hybrid vigor effect is still apparent in a sts situation and all the hybrid plants are also different in physical stature just as though i had used a natural male

so?

i'd just go for it and see what comes up

fwiw

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
a few years ago i sts'd a chocolate diesel plant and used the pollen on the clone of the original plant
the choco diesel was a f1 btw
a associate wanted some choco d again so i planted 10 s1's of this particular pheno and although they are not done yet, there are 10 different pheno's judging by physical stature alone with only one resembling the original parents
so much for a s1 being identical to the parent
i'll have to wait to see how close it resembles it's parents as far as smoke quality
what i found interesting is that i also used some of this pollen on a piss kush/nl clone and that the s1's grow a lot slower then the crosses/ i.e. the hybrid vigor effect is still apparent in a sts situation and all the hybrid plants are also different in physical stature just as though i had used a natural male

so?

i'd just go for it and see what comes up

fwiw

the s1 would be more like the parent if she was from a stable to semi stable line. a plant like choc diesel has so much going on in it. plants like bubba or la confidental when they are selfed will have offspring very close to the original plant.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

the s1 would be more like the parent if she was from a stable to semi stable line. a plant like choc diesel has so much going on in it. plants like bubba or la confidental when they are selfed will have offspring very close to the original plant.

i agree

the point i am trying to make is that sometimes you just need to do it

if you watch it happen and understand what is happening? it will go from reading the book to being able to write the book

fwiw

Latest posts

Top Bottom