How to get more consistent temp humidity VPD.

• Thread starter Willisbrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Willisbrow

Moral of the story is your swings are normal and chasing numbers should be secondary to what the girls are visually telling you.

As long as you're in range you should be fine.
Thank you for that. I just got this app that has a graph of my room conditions and thought I could be doing a better job.

W

Willisbrow

I don't quite understand your setup, but this seems normal to me. I get similar sawtooth patterns as a result of multiple machines doing work.

Lights - add heat. Sawtooth starts to climb for heat, humidity, since relative to heat goes down at the same rate- just opposite direction.

Heat gets to a trigger point / set point. AC comes on and lowers temp. Sawtooth down.

Temp gets down to setpoint to shut off. Temp sawtooth stops decent and starts climbing again.

Rinse repeat.

Night comes. Heat is no longer being added by lights. Things chill out.

We also have dehumidifiers, humidifiers, fans, and sensor variation to deal with, making the curves imperfect.

the larger the growspace, the lesser the lows and highs on your sawtooth pattern.

There are ways to optimize all this and reduce the variability. If you could provide pics of the whole system with all sensing and control hardware, I'll help you out.
I can get pics when lights turn on. Next go round Iā€™m gonna have light on during the day and lights off at night. Didnā€™t realize how cool LEDs run compared to HpS lights.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Thatā€™s a hard task. The room is in my garage and it is pretty big and VERY DRAFTY Itā€™s 25ā€™x 35ā€™. So trying to control the temps and humidity in the garage seems like a huge task.
Sealing the room as best you can will help in getting temp and humidity under control. Sealing the garage in addition will exponentially increase that control.

20 x 20 garage I set up for grow:

6 plant LST pre flower

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Good to hear that having the saw tooth graph is not necessarily a bad thing.

My set up is a 5.5ā€™x5.5ā€™ made of 2x4s and plywood. And recently added foam insulation inbetween the 2x4s(not sure how much it helps but it only cost $100 or so)
I have a mars hydro fc8000 at about 60% about 20ā€ from the top of the highest plant.
I have a AC infinity t6 exaust fan. I have a 4 in hole at the bottom corner of my room for my intake.
Have 3 oscillating fans at different levels.
Have a oil filled space heater
Have a ultrasonic humidifier
And a dehumidifier

Last night I turned off my dehumidifier and set my humidifier to %50.
With my heater on the humidity goes way down.

My last grow I was using a friends old 1000watt hps so heat was my concern.
Now with the LED Iā€™ve had to try to heat up my room.
Iā€™ve been where you are. Chasing environmental parameters with machines that donā€™t talk to each other is tough.

What are the lungroom parameters?

I donā€™t often say this but you might be a candidate for co2 if this is a regular thing for you. Seal up the box to contain air and control it far more easily. But if it gets warmer you will need an ac, so you can really chase setpoints.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

A saw-tooth pattern is normal. It's because of the way controllers work. They vary above and below a set point. A thermostat, for example, will turn a heater on when the temperature drops to a specific point and turn a heater off when the temperature rises to a certain point. The set point on my Inkbird is 77 and what they call the "difference value" is 3. So it turns the heater on when the temperature is 75.5 and it turns the heater off when the temperature reaches 78.5. So, ideally, the average temperature would equal the set point.

Here's a slice of my temperature report during plant night, when the heater is controlling the temperature in the tent.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
These are my automations for my ACI. Iā€™ve been slowly and steadily raising VPD through flowering. Automations are very important to get stability

A8BD6D9C 177D 4BC8 8CAA 17F816307B53
414EB80A 2F15 490F 8EA5 0489198FC3EB
05CD0EBF 2C91 463E 9D0A 5C966A9CD46E
A1149C00 4CFD 4AEC B41E 0E7F6EE5A9C5
4B5BF2A9 25E2 44D3 8392 B4984A3B15DD
C75E0709 A575 4E95 8D28 2367B0DB2482
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I just set the high low parameters and let the controller do the work by le.

Since you have a dehu and humidifier being controlled the controller will turn them on and off if your parameters go beyond what you set.

W

Willisbrow

Thanks for all the input and the pics of the saw tooth graph readings. My humidifier and dehumidifier are not AC infinity. But I guess they make adapter plugs that make them compatible.
Itā€™s al learning. Yesterday I took some clones of my favorite plant that grew balls(I took clones of all my plants and was planning on growing the clones and keeping three mothers but plans changed).
Anyways. The next go round Iā€™m planning. On growing 6 plants all the same kind.

My garage is a mess and this is just a little hobby. I grew outdoors last summer and had so much fun watching them grow that I decided to get my little indoor room going.
Iā€™m In Sam francisco and bud rot got me hard. Zero harvest. But it was still really fun watching them grow. So I wonā€™t be trying any more outdoor here. It gets to humid in September and October here.

W

Willisbrow

I played around with the automations a bit but there is so much goi g on in there u gotta know what ur doing g. But thatā€™s the next step to really dialing in my rooms environment

Observationist

Observationist

There's gotta be a way to control the variability and I love to know the possible methods. Or fix.

W

Willisbrow

I just set the high low parameters and let the controller do the work by le.

Since you have a dehu and humidifier being controlled the controller will turn them on and off if your parameters go beyond what you set.
My humidifier and dehumidifier have an ON button and I read on the aci website that when they get turned off they wonā€™t turn back in unless I manually press the in button.
Right now with lights on and heater on, I have my humidifier set to 45% since it wonā€™t get any higher than that. With lights and heater on. And Iā€™m. Thinking every day right before light off I have to turn my dehumidifier on at around 50m%.
But I wish it could be totally automated.
Iā€™ll see what happens.

W

Willisbrow

These are my automations for my ACI. Iā€™ve been slowly and steadily raising VPD through flowering. Automations are very important to get stability
Do You have an aci humidifier. Or does It work with other brands too?
Just got the fan set up a week or so Ago so still trying to figure it all out.

Thanks
Happy Christmas to you all and especially those who have been helping me k
Out!!

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Got this from the aci website about controlling additional devices.
Correct, i use their UI power adapter for my humidifier. If you get an analog humidifier you can get it to turn on and off automatically. Unfortunately I didnā€™t do my research and I have a digital one. So yes it powers on but doesnā€™t actually turn on until I hit the button

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
too much focus on variables, mellow out. let's see #s over one month. macro != micro. further, are the plants healthy, happy? i've not seen a single plant in this thread. plants don't give two shits about your data, just saying. cater to Her, not your need to make the data work for you.
This. I don't know what vpd is, or what kind of alien data control center this is, but as long as they get what they need.....

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Thatā€™s a hard task. The room is in my garage and it is pretty big and VERY DRAFTY Itā€™s 25ā€™x 35ā€™. So trying to control the temps and humidity in the garage seems like a huge task.
I was gonna ask where you have your grow room that keeping the heat up is a thing......usually heat is a problem, not cold. I have a basement that stays under 60 in the winter and never gets above 68 in the summer, I'm actually looking forward to working in cooler temperatures. Tropical varieties aside, I would think plants would like 68-75 better than 78-85.

Is your garage heated? What if you improved the garage itself, 0lugged up the drafts, etc. and gave the overall area more stability?

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Got this from the aci website about controlling additional devices.
The control plug is a good way to use devices that aren't made by ACI. The only condition is that the device must be able to start when the plug is powered, because the control plug only turns the power to the device on and off. They've been out of stock since last summer, though. They got a few in stock a week or so ago, but sold out within a few hours. I saw the restock email less than two days after it was sent and they were all sold by then.

W

Willisbrow

I was gonna ask where you have your grow room that keeping the heat up is a thing......usually heat is a problem, not cold. I have a basement that stays under 60 in the winter and never gets above 68 in the summer, I'm actually looking forward to working in cooler temperatures. Tropical varieties aside, I would think plants would like 68-75 better than 78-85.

Is your garage heated? What if you improved the garage itself, 0lugged up the drafts, etc. and gave the overall area more stability?
My garage is not heated and is in an old house 1907 it was built. I think it would be easier to keep my little 5x5 room dialed in rather than trying to keep my garage in my basement dialed in.
Was thinking about building a lung room to get my air from. But atm Iā€™m trying to clean up my garage rather than fill it up with another room.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom