How to get rid of nats?

• Thread starter Leelandgrow3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BloodShot

BloodShot

I use yellow stickies and a 9" high velocity floor fan or two set on low to break their cycle, all gone in maybe two weeks and a floor fan offers other benefits as well
This seems to work for me also, I have the fan blowing down strong onto the top of my lights and across the canopy.
Also a fan blowing the air in the small room around with fly stickers hanging in corners and some yellow stickers on top of medium.
The gnats are rampant around these parts outdoors, they are always flying around and they love to bite me.
The gnats bite the hell out of me but don't seem to bother anybody else around. They are bastards to the first degree, even worse than mosquito's and black flies to me because you need a special small screen in your windows to keep gnats out and where there's moisture and soil they don't take long to spread.

B

Burned Haze

Mosquito Bits are expensive and low in % for what they are ( BTI) ( bits 2% vs liquid 8%)

I suggest the liquid form: not only is it stronger, cheaper and has a better shelf life, the suggested rate is every 14 days, I use it every other Rez ( used to have fungus gnats, I’m gnat free cause of this )

Look up “microbe lift mosquito control”

The 1 gal version ( yes 100ish bucks , but then your less paying 1 dollar a oz, other option is 25ish bucks for 6 ozs)
I just know that the liquid ( I used to buy buckets of the Mosquito Bits per season and still then have small populations, now I’m free!)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I tried mosquito dunks every which way... Crumbling them up and sprinkling on the soil surface was most effective but still didnt eliminate them. I cant get BTI any more concentrated than that in Canada, or azamax for that matter..

Merit 75 wiped them out when I had to treat for root aphids. Other than that, nothing really worked for me. Including scary long dry cycles to the point of wilt, sticky traps, sand on the media, cedar oil, wind, you name it. Fought those bastards for 2 years straight.

B

Burned Haze

I tried mosquito dunks every which way... Crumbling them up and sprinkling on the soil surface was most effective but still didnt eliminate them. I cant get BTI any more concentrated than that in Canada, or azamax for that matter..

Merit 75 wiped them out when I had to treat for root aphids. Other than that, nothing really worked for me. Including scary long dry cycles to the point of wilt, sticky traps, sand on the media, cedar oil, wind, you name it. Fought those bastards for 2 years straight.

Thing is merit did work for me, temporarily and then they were back after a round ( I wanted a solution that wasn’t class c/scary and I could do as a IPM and would guarantee success . To many people want to wait for the high populations or when they “ see them” well a good IPM plan and guarantee is better

120 bucks of the liquid bit - its 4 seasons for indoor rooms..... cheap and safe

If I ever get root aphid’s or a major infestations of fungis gnats , I’ll def use my merit 75 as a last resort

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

I tried everything to get rid of gnats(short of chemical pesticides) diatomecious earth, gnat off, gnat nix,sand and a couple other things I don't recall.none of em worked .the only thing I found to work and work really well was nematodes and sticky yellow traps.a dose of nematodes combined with the sticky traps then another dose 2/3 weeks later to catch any fg larvea that escaped from the first application .they work great.within 2/3 weeks you,l not see many fliers and your plants will regain any vigor that was lost while infested.if anyone in the UK needs contact details for a UK distributer feel free to pm me.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have been meaning to ask everyone. Doesnt the presense of nemetodes still constitute disgusting bugs and bug feces and eggs all over the plants?

Way more even with twice the bug infestation.

I could never release more bugs into my room. Good or bad. Yuck!

Sunday687

Sunday687

I have been meaning to ask everyone. Doesnt the presense of nemetodes still constitute disgusting bugs and bug feces and eggs all over the plants?

Way more even with twice the bug infestation.

I could never release more bugs into my room. Good or bad. Yuck!
Ive used nematodes and there was no evidence they were there besides no more gnats. There microscopic and i believe they die when theres no more pests to feed on

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Ive used nematodes and there was no evidence they were there besides no more gnats. There microscopic and i believe they die when theres no more pests to feed on

What about the feces and eggs? Its is disgusting to me. My indoor flowers are clean.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

What I've seen with fans is they try to walk between plants but it knocks them down there may be a few on a yellow sticky here and there but there's some yellow stickies been in there for weeks with none others one or two if you open a new bag
What about the feces and eggs? Its is disgusting to me. My indoor flowers are clean.
Have you tried bud washing? I really think it makes a difference it's just a lot of extra effort so I don't do it unless the harvested plant has ever been sprayed, sulphur burner etc., probably don't need to but I feel better doing it

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

What I've seen with fans is they try to walk between plants but it knocks them down there may be a few on a yellow sticky here and there but there's some yellow stickies been in there for weeks with none others one or two if you open a new bag
Have you tried bud washing? I really think it makes a difference it's just a lot of extra effort so I don't do it unless the harvested plant has ever been sprayed, sulphur burner etc., probably don't need to but I feel better doing it

No. I dont need to wash my buds. Thats the point. I just think most of this “organic” stuff belongs outside. Not in my house.

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

Come home from work now have a problem my split stem to small to doctor up and this plant have a couple spots lmk if u see them I sprayed neem oil I sprayed them all even tho just the one plant

20190710 150143
20190710 150100
20190710 150050
Seraphine

Seraphine

No. I dont need to wash my buds. Thats the point. I just think most of this “organic” stuff belongs outside. Not in my house.
I agree with you on this. I grow organic outdoors but indoors I like my non smelly mineral based nutrients. However, Nematodes are microscopic and live in the soil. They don’t ever live above soil. They die when there is no food. If any eggs hatch, the larva will die too if there is no food,.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I agree with you on this. I grow organic outdoors but indoors I like my non smelly mineral based nutrients. However, Nematodes are microscopic and live in the soil. They don’t ever live above soil. They die when there is no food. If any eggs hatch, the larva will die too if there is no food,.

You mean the nematodes for gnats stay in the soil?

I was thinking predatory bugs i guess.

I still use potting soil and natural based nutes but pure blend pro does not stink.

Seraphine

Seraphine

You mean the nematodes for gnats stay in the soil?

I was thinking predatory bugs i guess.

I still use potting soil and natural based nutes but pure blend pro does not stink.
Nematodes are predatory. They’re the best option if you’re seeking biological control for your soil. You also try a H202 soil drench. 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide 3% to 4 cups of water (double or triple amount if needed). Then moving forward, bottom feed. The fungus gnat larva live in the top 2” of soil so if the top part of the soil stays dry for an extended amount of time, you’ll kill the larva and break the life cycle. Or like I said in a previous post, do an azamax soil drench.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Nematodes are predatory. They’re the best option if you’re seeking biological control for your soil. You also try a H202 soil drench. 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide 3% to 4 cups of water (double or triple amount if needed). Then moving forward, bottom feed. The fungus gnat larva live in the top 2” of soil so if the top part of the soil stays dry for an extended amount of time, you’ll kill the larva and break the life cycle. Or like I said in a previous post, do an azamax soil drench.

Gotcha. Thanks for the tips. Looks like mine are finally going away from simply drying out the soil more for an extended period of time.

Last time they came it was from overwatering and crowding the room.

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

So guys have any opinions I see responses but not what I'm looking for

sammy2

sammy2

I just keep a mosquito dunk or a tea strainer filled with mosquito bits in my water and tea totes. I also make my own sticky traps with Tanglefoot, and discarded cardboard. Neem works a treat also.
I use mosquito dunks by crumbling a few crumbs and sprinkling on top of the soil, good-bye gnats.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So guys have any opinions I see responses but not what I'm looking for

What exactly are you looking for then? Reading through this thread I think all the best ways to deal with FG have been covered.

Top Bottom