How to get that real og smell.

• Thread starter KUSHIEKUSH
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KUSHIEKUSH

Ok I'm sure a lot of us coco and hydro guys have this same issue and well I thought I would post it here so maybe we can get a bit of help from the big guys like raskal or swerve or any of the great minds here at the farm like tk. Well my problem is that I can't get that good old og smell out of my crop. I have some dank looking buds but that og stank is not there. I am running the svf og and looks great but the smell I get from og that I get at the shop is way different, the potentcy is there but no smell does anyone have any idea as to why? Let me finish by saying that I follow all the usuals like temp nutes and all that nice stuff. One problem has been the curing cus my bud dried in about 4 days(usually its 7-10) and it has been curing for about a week and getting burped. The hay (amonia) smell seems to be fading but the og smells is not quite there any help or advice would be great.

R

Rolln J

ammonia smell? maybe you need to let it dry out more - some times bud seems dry on the outside but soon as you put it in jars or bags all the moisture inside will spread back out and the weed will seem wet again.

i would worry if my shit smelled like ammonia...

L

lurking_chap

you should let give them some good cure next time and maybe you will catch that smell

and it's not ammonia at all

devilrays

devilrays

you're putting the buds into the jar too moist. i always leave em on the branch til dry enough to smoke in a spliff, then burp em...

M

MIZZ ELVIS

That Ammonia smell typically indicates the presence of anaerobic bacteria or mold. You need to slowly dry your buds to give the Chlorophyll A+B time to break down(7 days at least). Then you wont have that grassy, hay smell overpowering the Terpenes and essential oils. Secondly you need to make sure you've got your buds dry enough before you begin the cure; otherwise you can get bad bacteria or mold which = the nasty ammonia smell. Another question, When do you harvest?????? Its always best to harvest at the end of the Dark cycle.... Most growers myself included, let mature ladies sit in the dark for 48-72 hours before the chop. This increase's terpene tenacity and allows for the translocation of starches to the roots, which makes for a tastier smoke. I also notice an increase in trichome gland size after the extended dark period.

TrailerTrash

TrailerTrash

first..i hate to say it..but when i do soil i always get stinky lemon diesel smelling buds over coco...

i use organic teas in soil .

also i use coco\perlite in airpots..last 2 weeks flush and use gh florolicious and that helps.

also some phene's of the same strain stink more than others.:cool0041:

K

KUSHIEKUSH

Ok maybe its not an amonia smell but its not quite og I guess I shouldn't of said amonia it just smells haish or something of the sort. But I'm guessing it does have to do with the drying since this is the first time it go dried up kinda quick about 4 days. Well usually I dry at 72 to 75 degrees and humidity at 50 but this time around I didn't have a room to dry in so it made it harder and for us in south cali and the fires its been a bad situation. But its great to hear all the good info being said here because I'm sure a lot of people have ran into the same problem. Do you guys think flushing with sweet or adding that changes or messes with the og smell?

R

Rolln J

i used sugar daddy once on my og and noticed a big time change - wasnt as lemony had a more earthy kind of taste/smell - it was still good - just different - but I wont use sugar daddy on my og again.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
also what day are you harvesting on. i have leaerned that if i harvest my plants to early they wont smell as good. sfv og is about 65-75 day strain. i did it with a sour diesel cut one clones at 59 days and one at 72 the one at 72 smelled alot stronger.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
You should dry your bud slower next time.I`d put your bud in paper bags for a day or so,then return them to glass jars to cure more.It will take some of that wild taste out of the buds.If they turn out to dry, try cutting an apple up and putting slices in the jars for a day.

K

KUSHIEKUSH

Thanks a lot you guys I really appreciate all the great info and I bet a lot more people do also. Thanks miss elviz and rollin j for all the info markscastle and kid twist also.

I took one plant down at 63 days those are the buds that dried 2 quick and smelled haish the rest are about 72 days now so I should be chopping any time now .
So I'm gonna let tthem stay in the dark for 36 hours n then chop. I'm gonna dry them in a tent at 50 humidity and around 70 maybe even do 65 degrees till they feel ready and throw them in the jars and burp them 1 a day for 15 min till they feel ready.

How long do you guys think its gonna be before you get that og smell. I had smelled this sfv og strain grown in soil and its smells funny like og but bad breath og not piny og. I usually get this strong diesel piney smell at the begining but then comes the hay smell then it starts to fade but the og smell never really sets in but the potency is just as good or better than a lot of og I get at the club and I been around a lot of og so I know what the smell like so that's not the problem. Any suggestions or anything is appreciated guys thanks a lot!

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
Once you grow it a few times im sure you will get it down. The og's you get at the clubs them guys been growing that strain for years also, they know just what to do to it to bring out the best.

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
like others have said my friend.

I've grown out the tahoe, svf, and larry clones..........don't let them fool you, at 4 daze they are not dry unless you are growing under flouros and then they really aren't 'og' buds to begin with. Like bubba, og is a solid rock when it comes to density. The outside will def be dry at 4 days, but if you seal them up at that point you are trapping in the bulk of the moisture as well....hence ammonia/hay. And yes, og is a 70 day strain, loves her nutes, and will yield VERY well if you grow her right (topped, fimmed, then topped/fimmed some more ). I flush mine for 3 weeks.....realllllllllllly helps with the flavor ;)

bf

R

redroot

also what day are you harvesting on. i have leaerned that if i harvest my plants to early they wont smell as good. sfv og is about 65-75 day strain. i did it with a sour diesel cut one clones at 59 days and one at 72 the one at 72 smelled alot stronger.

i think kid twist has got it. its down too the harvest date.and also the flush and how you finish. and i put my buds into a jar or a bag into atleast 3 weeks into the water has gone.

E

eckush

kushiekush: this may be of help: it usually takes approx 5-7 days for the nugs on the ogk to be crispy enough to put into jars.. easiest way to check is to bend the stem, it they are wet or even spongy leave them to hang till they crisp up.. try to keep it in a cool dark place w/ some air movement.....

thicker nugs may take up to 10 days to dry out fully, depending on how thick/dense your og nug is, ive seen some done in about 7 days-14days, thick as hell some were... but the room was very dry--should avg. about a week hung

and then start your cure and throw into glass jars.. leave them open for another week or so, make sure the room is nice and dry... use a/c if possible..

follow those simples guidelines and you will have sick cured ogk in about 10-14 days, you wil be able to close up your jars and open and close them daily and dry them to your liking...

as for that ogk flavor, the only way to make sure as ive been testing in every setting, my buddy even didn't flush this herb and the taste came through... its all about the genetics bro.. you gotta have that pheno out of s1 of hybrid beans of ogk, or get the original cut to get that ogk flavor, flushing will only help the flavor last and last, 2 weeks minimum for most strains and you will be golden.. HTH

K

KUSHIEKUSH

So I chopped the rest of the ogs and well I managed to build my drying room again and man they have been drying for a couple of days now and the smell is just out of control.lol they smell of pure fuel smell its pretty good I guess the problem I had was the fact that the outside would dry 2 quick in turn makking the outside dry n crisp while the inside of the bud was moist then I would put it in the jar which would bring out the smell in the bud but not fully. The outside would smell dry and burnt but now it smells of pure lemon fuel in my room. Thanks a lot farmers you guys are a great help. And to think they charge hundreds of dollars an hr for advice like this.lol

M

Michael_Eaton

It's all in the drying... Clorophyl alone takes 2 weeks to break down... I see some people talking about a 7-10 day dry, but if you've got some solid dense buds there's no way thats enough... Even at 75 degrees and 50% rh... My OG is dried for AT LEAST 2 weeks before it gets jarred up for a good cure... I've had some go as long as 4 weeks

I will admit that before I became comfortable with the extent of "drying time" I experienced similar smells... The buds literally have to be crispy... Feel way too dry... But as soon as you jar em up they get that sponge-like consistency and all the smells come to life...

I'm sure you've heard of snapping the stems to make sure they're ready... It's a good method of testing...

Also... I've found that the smells are more present if I do the majority of the trimming after the buds have dried - right before curing... I do trim all the fan leaves and excessive leaf matter when I hang em, but I definitely feel that odors are stronger when I let the smaller leaves dry on the buds...

Just personal preference/opinion...

M

Matto

I have had this happen with some herb while growing in perlite some smelled and some didnt same breed. I let mine dry for seven days and then jars that are burped once day for a week. To get good smell i think they have to be properly flushed for ten to fourteen days.:hi:animal0012:

M

Michael_Eaton

Another point - If the buds are properly dried there should be NO NEED for you to reopen the jars for a couple of hours a day...

I feel like this robs them of some of their odor and prevents some of the breakdown that is SUPPOSED to happen with a good cure...

There is still living bacteria (good bacteria) and other elements of the plant that only get better with age (to a certain extent)...

Good cures promote smoothe clean smoke - No harshness, which is caused by starches and clorphyl not having been broken down...

A good flush is vital as well...

Top Bottom