How to know you are being cased by a burglar...

• Thread starter RMCG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RMCG

rmcg,
sorry if what i posted offended you, I assure you that it was not my intent to upset you or accuse friends or associates, I only tried to help with my take after reading and responding to your thread that asked for help... i do know one thing, i didn't do it, and that is enuff for me

good luck w/it, i'm done solving problems here

No offense taken, just that it was a reoccurring theme that it was some 'inside job' or a he was 'staking out a grow house'. If you knew who I was talking about, you would seriously find the accusations of an 'inside job' silly. I welcome all to share what they learned when they were ripped in the hopes that others can pick up on potential 'tell tale' signs of what was imminent. I don't associate in those circles anymore, so the tricks of the trade are very different now, some of the 'techniques' were new to me. Hope to have others share their experience, not to 'solve' any problems, just give some warning signs to whether you are next or not...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Bah, when I was ripped off it led straight back to the tweaker landscapers my asshole neighbor hired (after he cut off two of his own fingers on the left hand because he just had to use his circular saw while he was DRUNK. Thusly, I call him Lefty) to mow his fucking weeds. The weeds that, even while it RAINS, get watered. Did I mention this guy is an asshole? He won't hire brown people, no matter how neat, how clean, how professional. They're brown, so they're not worthy. But white tweakers who will rip off your neighbors? All he needs to know is where to sign up! He's probably a Tea Partier, now that I think about it.

And then some other neighbors got pissed off because as the season ended, after being hit FOUR, count 'em FOUR times, I staked out my grow and found some chick who looked like a tweaker dude driving through our (private, no outlet) road, always after midnight, always turning around at the bottom of the road after slowing down as she passed my growing area.
(Outdoors, so far no one's gotten into the house.)
One night I finally got the White Jeep in my sites and I hollered for everyone in the house, my son and husband run outside and stop her. She's delivering newspapers, in a neighborhood that rarely, if ever, gets anything delivered to one's doorstep. Not the mail (clusterboxes), not newspapers (boxes next to the clusterboxes), not nothin'. And they're mad at me?

Uh, hey! How about you twats tell Lefty that he's gotta start doing some fucking diligence with the people he hires? How about that, huh?

Neighbors = pain in the ass and great leads for rippers.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Where you doing a log on here or another site? Think he might have been stalkin you online? Just a thought...That would explain the timing. Also if you in with a disp. Who knows just floating some ideas.

Man best of luck. The feeling of violation is the worst. Shit when I was been robbed it wasn't a question of if they came back because I could only dream of that. Its knowing someone was in there. Sickening. Stay positive man.

G

GreenIce

RMCG -

Sorry for your loss.....it is almost like losing a family member and can keep you up at night for days if not weeks. Good luck coping bro.

I do have some ideas as I have been in a constant battle with my 26 year old step son who finds a way to get my stuff at least once a year.

1st Thought....if you have absolutely told no one about your grow and you are clueless think about this. ....if I wanted to find every local grow in my area how would I do it?......Make friends with a meter reader or get a job myself as a meter reader and take notes.

2nd - Bump keys are usually what the pros/punks use....they can open your door no matter how expensive the lock in about 5 seconds or faster (google it you will be scared)........so key locks are useless throw them away. Also watch out for keyless locks that have back up hidden key holes in case you forget the combo. It is actually very hard to find a non key back up system but here is 1 I found:

http://www.gokeyless.com/product/408/1/simplex-7100-deadlatch-pushbutton-lock

Same technology the pentagon uses on their locks this is the way to go.

3rd If you can afford it get a serious security door like pharmacies etc.... use. I found this one at home depot:

I also recommend the security plate to prevent credit cards slipping the latch:

http://www.gokeyless.com/product/983/87/don-jo-nlp110-latch-guard

security hinges and steel welded frame is crucial. You must mount door so it pulls not pushes and screw/carriage bolt the hell out of it when mounting also layer (3) 2x6s or 2x4s on each side as well as header on top.....this will make it impossible to knock down without the use of a bulldozer.

3rd - If you are growing in a garage frame up all windows from inside and double plywood both sides of frame. I screwed outside plywood with 5 different types of screws (square peg, Phillips, star, regular and finally huge nails with ribs on them) on the inside I screwed the hell out of it and did from inside so no one can loosen screws unless they are already in garage. Key thing is to get some of those pull down shades (spring powered self rolling kind) and place it on outside of framed plywood so from outside it simply looks like someone pulled the shades down with no visual of plywood without breaking glass and screen.

4th Put door behind doors so once they get into my garage they have another door to get through before they get to the goods. Dead bolt and standard locking doorknob is what I have but for not that much extra I will be upgrading to one of these soon:

http://www.gokeyless.com/product/285/3/trinity-788-fingerprint-door-lock

This extra door will make it harder for the burglar and also buy me some time to get to my garage/call police after I get notified via text (see below)

So to date my place is pretty secure but I still have weaknesses. I have a cancer patient (stage 4 hodgekins - very bad) that tried growing himself and did all the security stuff to a extent and when the burglar/ex friend decided he could not get through the door he actually brought a screw gun removed the siding and took out a sheet of plywood and entered in between the 2x4s. For the record this guy got robbed 3 times (THEY ALWAYS COME BACK) and finally gave up. This guy was on pure cannabis oil and was making progress until all the stress came after his 3rd robbery. The jerk actually took all the plants and then took all his lights and even fans......they are ruthless. I am donating medicine to this guy for as long as it takes (karma goes along way and I got a friend for life)

My next move is to get 4 motion lights with recording cameras built in...this is what I have my eye on:

http://www.advancedgadgetshop.com/servlet/the-49983/CLOVER-PAC0410-4-dsh-Channel-DVR/Detail

Also another key thing I am trying to do is wire up a regular motion light up to a door bell system that will play a loud dog growling sound when the light kicks....my friend did this and he always knows when someone pulls in his yard because the door bell rings automatically. I am also going to try to back up the hard drive on this motion/night vision system to a server on a off site location if you can find a tech guy you can get it set up so your back up server send you a text message every time there is movement that kicks on the camera. A extra hidden camera inside your grow room is a good idea also (better chance of getting a clear view and also helps if they manage to disable outdoor cameras or maybe wear a mask which they might take off once inside.)

I know a lot of this sounds a little silly but if you have been ripped off multiple times from a punk that has never had a job but thinks he's smarter then everyone on the planet you'd probably be right there with me on this shit.

Love the sand idea that is being proactive and not reactive and that is the way you need to be. Try to think like a burglar would.

So to top everything off going this route you are going to need to invest in a central air system which is the real $ killer ($5k with installation for a 4 ton system/42,000 btu's)

I am a legal caregiver with all the paper work and don't really worry about the government knowing what I do. I personally feel the trade off is a fair deal. So if I ever get ripped off again I will be reporting to police and handing over all videos and pressing charges. If you want to permanently stop these guys you really gotta do this part otherwise you are only allowing a perpetrator to continue to victimize due to your non victim/non crime activities. If you do not know who is on your video I would literally make photo posters and hang them around the neighborhood telephone poles and offer a reward for information about the person while also letting everyone in the neighborhood know to look out for this guy.

Lastly the full proof catchem if all other security fails....I would think about getting several of the pet micro chips that cost about $50-$100 make sure to attach your chips to the best looking stuff you are growing and obviously hide them well maybe even a small incision in the stock itself. If they ever take the plant you can contact the microchip company and they can guide you to within about 50 feet of your stolen property well worth the $100. I have a 12,000 watt light setup so it clearly justifies my security but again I know for many this is just not feasible so please go easy on me I am only trying to help.

Good Luck Everyone
GI

A

amstercal

Damn, GreenIce. Nice post. Serious, but a lot of good ideas. I love the microchip idea. It's definitely a little extreme, but if I'd been robbed, I'd be all over that.

In fact, I think you should re-post your post on the OP's other thread below and Logic should add it to his LinkORama, IMHO.

R

RMCG

Great post GI. Its definitely a weird feeling. Definitely knocked the 'wind out of me', not to mention the financial loss (9k alone in rent/elect).

I have double steel doors, internal AND external door locks have been swapped for deadlocks. I've added additional cameras, increased external motion sensors that turn on internal and external lights, I already vault surveillance video data offsite via VPN as well as get text messages/emails on motion detected on my cameras.

I've got some additional goodies that I may do a DIY on...

GPS trackers sound fantastic.

sky_blue

sky_blue

Med state or no?

If that POS has your grow as his 'Ace in the hole' for when he gets popped ripping someone else off, then that would be the deciding factor for me.

Did you notice anything 'weird' prior to getting hit?

How did he enter?

Any details you care to share might help out others BEFORE something happens to them.
___
Good point. No one mentions it, but if some idiot knows you are growing legally or illegally, he can make up anything to get out of his own problems, by falsely reporting to the police and hoping for the best return (he's already fd...)

FiveAM

FiveAM

just a thought,but i'm guessing he cut your grow either out of being an ass, or to know when to come back.

Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket

What about printing a picture of his face from the video and ask around the neighborhood? Grocery stores, bars etc. Somebody knows the scumbag.

YJ

reeldrag

reeldrag

Dude my boy just got this set up off the net that hooks to his phone it has a motion sensior on the door jam on the inside so when the door is opened it sends a live video feed to his cell (it is so bad ass I want one so bad) it can have as many cameras and sensors as you like. And does have a way where you can set off a alarm from your phone if you want to scare the fuck out of the little shit. but i like the old fashion catching the little prick in action and sticking an ice pick in his ear and then feeding him to the bears method myself but I tend to over react from time to time I'm told

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Sorry to hear RMCG - I've been jacked....a 9 light room. My favorite part about the thing was I had recently sprayed with some commercial grade pesticide...So whoever smoked it most likely resulted in health issues....Moving on...

Bottom line is surveillance equipment wont do shit but let you know they're there - obviously. I didnt want to fuck around....I re-enforced all the entry points and hit the paper for dogs. Bought 2 german shepards and a rottweiler that stay at the house ONLY. It's easy cause im in the hills so of course I set up some solid 'booby traps'. No more problems...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've never done much work with GSDs, but I love a good Rottie. Excellent, excellent family dogs. NO ONE would be able to steal your child or molest him/her.

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

I heard from a Canadian grower that rippers are drilling small holes into grow-show walls and using fiber optic cable cameras to identify exactly when a harvest will take place. They show up 2-3 days prior and clean out the shows. Mission Impossible shit.
He noticed the powder (drywall) but didn't see the hole 'til after he was ripped. Doubtful he would have identified it anyway.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Security should be like an onion. Many layers. So I've heard.

R

Roberto

I don't put much weight security cameras per se. Motion alarms (and my dogs) are great but the cameras are only there to record "what happened" and the federales are the last people we would call if we had an intruder. To me visible deterrents and marketing are very effective. I'm on a 7 acre property. The grow facility with 100-1000 FMH/HPS and 50 -600W FMH is separate from the house and I am here 24/7. The four most important security components I have a my two dogs, a monster black nasty remote entry gate that you can't drive at tank through (carrying garbage bags full of pot home is a lot of work), highly visible fake in-your-face security cams as you approach the gate and a professionally made 4' X 6' sign that basically (but politely) says "don't waste your time"... Advertising makes it happen...the presentation all wrapped up says that if you come here with bad intentions you are in for a very rough day. If you post signage that includes the two magic words "no trespassing" at the entrance to your property in this country (Canada) you can "use all force necessary to protect your well being". The crooks always look for the path of least resistance...."ow go bother the Smiths".
Hope you catch the creep.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We have cameras that initiate an alarm with motion. You can also set the sensitivity. Cali also requires signs posted.

Top Bottom