• Start date
  • Tagged users None
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
View attachment 1183411

Sooo...
How do I tell when the RSO is done... when it stops bubbling? What's the consistency when it's still hot? Mine currently looks like motor oil, like new motor oil lol... but with a glob of tar forming on my thermometer. I think I let it get too hot there for a sec.... but this is my first attempt. Does the consistency change as it cools like most things? It started to smoke for a second... but like I said... too hot. Probably fucked it up lol.
View attachment 1183411
View attachment 1183412
if the video is showing when it’s hot than looks to be done, no bubbling?
the consistency looks fine, depends on what type of material to make it and to extract it?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
i dont guess i understand the "90% pure cannabinoid", what else would it be? what is the other 10%?
Waxes, terpenes, flavinoids, fats.. lots of stuff. I've seen RSO type oil come out in the low 70%'s cannabinoid content. Most crude and even some complicated extractions produce an oil in the 80% range. Getting over 90% is not all that common unless you are talking distillate or rosin. Even shatter is usually closer to 80%.

Hopefull Stoner

Hopefull Stoner

Qwiso should be a quick wash to get better quality. 1/2 the time you currently do. try that small batch and compare.

It’s better to use alcohol spirits if you want to soak the weed for any length of time. Everclear etc. = feco style.

Have fun by the replies it’s a bunch of novices here now. glad they at least have an idea now. Also doesn’t hurt to check how others do it on YouTube = more numbers.
Wish u the best

TSD

TSD

if the video is showing when it’s hot than looks to be done, no bubbling?
the consistency looks fine, depends on what type of material to make it and to extract it?
No bubbling, it had tiny bubbles but then it stopped. I had to MacGyver my setup here... not a hotplate in my whole damn town and I have a gas range... so I started with a crackpot w water but it wasn't staying hot enough, so I used my electric griddle, first w a water bath then directly on it. Definitely got hot for a sec, like 270, But I took it right off. All I know is I probably shouldn't have licked all she sticky bits in my fingers cause I'm baked brah 🤣 Oh and I used 2 oz of popcorn bud and 2 cups of everclear. I ran the tincture cycle on my MB machine... then boiled down the tincture as per magic butter's instructions using my hillbilly set up. I didn't decarb first, maybe I should have, I'm winging it. I left it in the sun in a clear jar before reducing to try and get rid of some of the chlorophyll. Not the ideal process but I think I was semi successful lol.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Waxes, terpenes, flavinoids, fats.. lots of stuff. I've seen RSO type oil come out in the low 70%'s cannabinoid content. Most crude and even some complicated extractions produce an oil in the 80% range. Getting over 90% is not all that common unless you are talking distillate or rosin. Even shatter is usually closer to 80%.
terpenes and flavanoids and all are cannabinoids i thought. i had been watching some stuff and reading and in the paper im reading now it says they are all the active ingredients in cannabis. some stuff about cannabinol and such. but definitely said terps and flavanoids were cannabinoids.

i froze, combined, shook for 30 sec and examined the green stuff and there were no more trichs left. so i dunno, but wouldnt that be all the cannabinoids? can you get more cannabinoids from it after all the trichs are gone? i figured any additional time shaking or waiting isnt going to produce. the trichs seem to be gone fast!

No bubbling, it had tiny bubbles but then it stopped. I had to MacGyver my setup here... not a hotplate in my whole damn town and I have a gas range... so I started with a crackpot w water but it wasn't staying hot enough, so I used my electric griddle, first w a water bath then directly on it. Definitely got hot for a sec, like 270, But I took it right off. All I know is I probably shouldn't have licked all she sticky bits in my fingers cause I'm baked brah 🤣 Oh and I used 2 oz of popcorn bud and 2 cups of everclear. I ran the tincture cycle on my MB machine... then boiled down the tincture as per magic butter's instructions using my hillbilly set up. I didn't decarb first, maybe I should have, I'm winging it. I left it in the sun in a clear jar before reducing to try and get rid of some of the chlorophyll. Not the ideal process but I think I was semi successful lol.
the bigger bubbles mean it still has alcohol, the tiny bubbles is it decarbing. you can see the tiny bubbles for long after you remove it from heat as it decarbs

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
terpenes and flavanoids and all are cannabinoids i thought. i had been watching some stuff and reading and in the paper im reading now it says they are all the active ingredients in cannabis. some stuff about cannabinol and such. but definitely said terps and flavanoids were cannabinoids.

i froze, combined, shook for 30 sec and examined the green stuff and there were no more trichs left. so i dunno, but wouldnt that be all the cannabinoids? can you get more cannabinoids from it after all the trichs are gone? i figured any additional time shaking or waiting isnt going to produce. the trichs seem to be gone fast!

the bigger bubbles mean it still has alcohol, the tiny bubbles is it decarbing. you can see the tiny bubbles for long after you remove it from heat as it decarbs
The trichs break off quite quickly yes, but the resin inside the trich needs a little time to dissolve into the solvent. The trich itself doesn't dissolve, it's a cellulose ball full of resin and that empty cellulose ball gets filtered out. Or it should anyway. Looks like trichomes in the filter, but it goes bone dry, non sticky.

I've found I get a better quality and yield if I do 2 things, one is soak for at least one minute as long as you keep it in the freezer, and 2, after draining and straining, I'd rinse it with an equal amount of solvent. It's important to break the weed down very well, soak it completely, and rinse it enough. I'd use about the same amount to soak as I'd use to rinse it after. Most importantly though is the way I do things, can only be done if you do all of the work in a very cold chest freezer. I would use silicone oven gloves that I pre-froze so the heat from my hands on the container didn't add heat, it's super important to keep it critically frozen if you soak for a minute or it will pull more wax and chlorophyll. And I say chest freezer because they don't dump out the cold air like an upright freezer does when you open the door. My mini freezer had its thermostat bypassed so it ran constantly and had additional insulation added.

And no, terpenes are not cannabinoids, cannabinoids are things like THC, CBD, CBN etc. Terpenes are fragrance compounds. It's why you can seperate the two, pure thc can be fractioned off, and terpenes can be fractioned off into individual components.

Last edited:
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Do you get terpenes with qwiso?

If I were in a state that frowns on this stuff, can I get it tested? Is there any home testing kit?

I use a deep freezer, usually leave it for days, break it up well and rinse it, but probably not with that much, more like a third again as much. Instead of shaking it (long story- but I tore my biceps tendon and cant shake shit!) I use a magnetic stirrer for only 30 sec. (So I'll increase that)

I will make a new batch tomorrow! Thanks.

TSD

TSD

I sucked it up with a syringe, then put a few dots on wax paper and froze it (just swallowed one, stay tuned lol) I definitely need a couple more tools to do a proper job, and next time I will give it a go without the magic butter machine... I think that definitely pulled too much chlorophyll and plant matter through... I filtered it several times through the MB filter and coffee filters. My husband's was totally making fun of my mad scientist set up. 🤣
20211030 084400
20211030 005926

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i normally run about 500ml of alcohol, so then i rinsed it with almost 500ml more (my container with the strainer and all i couldnt fit about 4 tablespoons - no idea liters but not too much shy of the double)

i could not get in the freezer, it is a front opening one, but a deep freeze, but i did stick my hands in with the door open, and sat it on my frozen green peanuts, with them packed around, so super cold. the alcohol was in the freezer for about a month. the weed was broken down and put in there on monday, i think, but plenty long.

it is on the hotplate now, i will soon see!!!!

thanks!

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i love it!!! and no one should be cursed with more than one husband! jk

the edit on the phone is in the little three line menu, on the computer it is right there (im pointing to right below the box)

it disappears after a while though. so you can only edit for a bit after the post goes up

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
i normally run about 500ml of alcohol, so then i rinsed it with almost 500ml more (my container with the strainer and all i couldnt fit about 4 tablespoons - no idea liters but not too much shy of the double)

i could not get in the freezer, it is a front opening one, but a deep freeze, but i did stick my hands in with the door open, and sat it on my frozen green peanuts, with them packed around, so super cold. the alcohol was in the freezer for about a month. the weed was broken down and put in there on monday, i think, but plenty long.

it is on the hotplate now, i will soon see!!!!

thanks!
Keep in mind that hot plate evaporation will give you a dark amber oil still. The light fluffy product I showed above was produced by air evaporating it in a casserole dish outdoors, out of the sun with a fan blowing on it on it for a couple days. Once the solvent is mostly gone I'd scoop it out and smear it extremely thin on a large piece of glass to further dry and cure for about a week before scraping it off the glass.

That was only for smoking grade mind you. For edibles it went straight from the casserole dish to a Pyrex bowl for decarbing in the oven.

Also, someone earlier in the thread mentioned putting the alcohol solution in the sun to get rid of chlorophyll, that is how you make cherry oil. Or at least that's what we always called it. Degrades the chlorophyll to a reddish color.

Top Bottom