how to:molasses

• Thread starter ukbigbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

NOooooooo using sugar will convince the plant it is in final stages and cause it to finish early effecting yeild. Use in making compost tea.

I am not sure that you are correct on that one. As far as I know, it is mainly to feed your microbial life in your root zone. That would mean it is good to use throughout the whole plants life. I mainly use it in teas, but will sometimes give it by itself from time to time. I think that it is hard to over do it on the molasses, as long as you don't put so much that it gums up the media. I do know that the sugars will help at the end for the plant to continue on eating the remainder of nutrition left in the root zone for the last few weeks. Last run I flushed with RO & Molasses only for week one. Week two just RO.

-TF

J

Jalisco Kid

Hey JK have you found substitutes for all of the typical hydro store nutes? I would like to find a way to do this locally. I figure that all NPK and macros can be found locally if you know what to look for. Any suggestions JK?

Venom, I'm pretty sure carboload is doing the samething, maybe just a synthetic version of molasses? I used to use liquid carboload and liked it. Then I tried to stay as organic as I could and use MFP.

Cheers,
Crom

Pick out the Nutrient line you like and see whats in it and what it weighs out at. Then run that through a nute calc to figure out how much you need. I source my salts from my local lab supply for some,ag supplies for most.pgr's,aminos, and kelp from mex. I buy 70% fulvic acid in 50 lb drums(split it with a friend) less then 7 bucks a lb. I would look for a local ag suppliers, the pgrs,aminos,and some sugars most growers would not gain benefit from. JK

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
^^Awesome thanks for that info! I have been really starting to look into nutrients and how to bypass the gimmick and get real good stuff, in the percentages we need them at for cannabis. When you say "what it weighs out at" what do you mean? I wish I was better at the nutrient math :( Is there a calc you know of that you can put your NPK and macros into and get what each individual nute is providing on a ppm level? Like if I want 250 ppm of Ca and I know my tap has 57 ppm. How do I get to 250 with say GO CalMg+? And the other nutes so I can calculate everything to dial it in. It would be easier if I had each individual nute and I could add it according to exactly what I wanted in my feed mix. Thanks again JK I know you have some good tricks up your sleeve!

Cheers,
Crom

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Holy shit! Really? I use so much less, more like 1T/5gals when I'm pushing it. I need more molasses or something, keep forgetting to push the sugars on my girls.
My favorite brand!
Why the fuck doesn't the Costco in Folsom (my closest Costco) carry that? And I still can't get the local feed store to carry the 5gal pails, either. That's why I've been experimenting with different sugars, ending up focused on malted barley extracts. Fucking Costco. They don't have those rosemary Italian crackers that I love anymore, either, and they're charging $0.50 more per bag of Stacy's Pita Chips than Sam's Club. I love those pita chips!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I hear ya Seamaiden, the costco I go to is always changing what they carry...and usually stop carrying the stuff I buy:(

Im not sure if they have that molasses or not.

The Blue agave that I use to sweeten my coffee seems like it would be good to give the plants...But Not cheap...Not for the little bottles I buy at costco anyway.

ETA; I guess it's not really that expensive...might be worth a try.....
think it would work?

Blue agave is Very low Glycemic

One bottle for my plants the other for me.... 20 bucks
http://www.amazon.com/Sohgave-Agave...V1OO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313940267&sr=8-3

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think it would work, but have some reservations because of its sugar structure, i.e. being a low GI sugar/sweetener. I use the organic agave from Costco on my Greek yogurt. Oh, yum.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
yeah ...the low Glycemic is why I was wondering too.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Only one way to find out.... <musing> Due to scale I can't afford to go the agave route.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
yep. I think I will test it in a few pots and see what happens come harvest time

S

Sunbiz1

Holy shit! Really? I use so much less, more like 1T/5gals when I'm pushing it. I need more molasses or something, keep forgetting to push the sugars on my girls.

Why the fuck doesn't the Costco in Folsom (my closest Costco) carry that? And I still can't get the local feed store to carry the 5gal pails, either. That's why I've been experimenting with different sugars, ending up focused on malted barley extracts. Fucking Costco. They don't have those rosemary Italian crackers that I love anymore, either, and they're charging $0.50 more per bag of Stacy's Pita Chips than Sam's Club. I love those pita chips!

I buy Grandma's in the regular sized jar, all local supermarkets in my area carry it. You mean the 5 gal pails w/handles?...those I get at Home Depot. Ace Hardware carries them for 50% more, as would a local feed store probably have to charge as well. I've never heard of OD'ing a plant on molasses as we have with nutes so I figure WTF, 2 tablespoons in 5 gallons of soil 4/ a 5' plant seems about right for a molasses designed for human consumption.

Worked well on the last grow. Yep, that's the downside of grocery chains that purchase in huge bulk amounts...their products are always changing.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I just read this on an old molasses thread here at the Farm that jeffadies bumped

the "medicine man" teaches that molasses builds-up too much iron and potassium over time, so he recommends using agave instead. Agave actually has much more concentrated carbs than molasses, which has had most of it's carbs (sugar) removed during processing. Sucanat (Sugar Cane Natural) is raw sugar before having the molasses removed, so it can be used instead of molasses - it has more sugar and so provides a better boost. Agave may be a better source of carbs than sucanat though, and I've started using it instead, because the "medicine man" recommended making the switch, plus it makes sense to me scientifically. Our local "People's" cooperative has organic raw light agave in bulk, and that's what my babies get for a carb boost now. I stop using compost solution (which is all I use for nutes) at about week 5, and start using "hygrowzyme" as a catalyst, continue using "Earth Juice" for a catalyst, and start adding agave for a carbohydrate boost, which results in bigger, sweeter buds. The last couple of waterings I only use slightly acidified water to flush the soil really well, per medicine man's recommendation. That means the hygrozyme and agave is only used for 2-3 weeks during weeks 5-7, but that's enough to make a difference!! I suppose using more hygrozyme and agave a bit earlier in flowering might boost them more, perhaps alternating with compost solution during the first few weeks might be a good strategy

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
At safeway the agave is the same price as the molasses i use so it cant hurt to give it a shot im thinking. Ive been using the Brer Rabbit blackstrap for a while now with great results.

S

sjstylz408

So do i measure the ppm/ ph with molasses or do i make my nutrient batch say 800ppm and 6.2ph then add the teaspoon of molasses .

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
So do i measure the ppm/ ph with molasses or do i make my nutrient batch say 800ppm and 6.2ph then add the teaspoon of molasses .

I would put you molasses in a cup of hot water to dissolve. than add the rest of you water and add you other stuff.. then test.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I wonder how conductive the sugars, etcetera, are in molasses. In other words, how accurate is EC testing for molasses, and maybe even other sugars...? I need to query some people about that one. I only asked a general/generalized question in terms of how to qualify or quantify the density or saturation of an organic mix. I think this is why the organic guys end up using almost completely volumetric measures.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
YW,

I use 2 tbsp/gal when watering during flower.

This sounds more like what I do. I use molasses(EJ MFP) every watering/feeding. I flush every 14 days. I use it at 5 ml/gallon all through flowering. Sometimes I wonder if I am clogging up the aeropots with this. I get a nice streak of molasses coloring when I flush too. Either way it's my food for the bene's.

Sunbiz1 do you use it during your flush? I am debating if I will this run. I haven't before. Anyone think it is more beneficial to use molasses/MFP while flushing for the first week, then just plain h2o for the 2nd week? Pros/Cons?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's more than food for your bennies. Plants uptake sugars directly, too.

Top Bottom