• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
IS THIS BASED SOLELY ON STRUCTURE?

How do you know what flowering traits it will carry if it does not produce female flowers?

Thanks!

I have some kosker kush x white widow accident beans I am running and wanted to keep a male and breed with female of the same batch.

Hoping for some new fire.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
structure and likeness to the mom if your going for f2s

stability - will it reveg
yield - does it produce a LOT of male flowers where the clusters look like colas
trichomes - does it produce trichs early and profusely

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Sorry for being lazy... I just did some reading and it looks like a long process of keeping males until their offspring are flowered, so you can try to determine what qualities the make contributed.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
structure and likeness to the mom if your going for f2s

stability - will it reveg
yield - does it produce a LOT of male flowers where the clusters look like colas
trichomes - does it produce trichs early and profusely

Thanks for the extra info ML!

So flower production (quantity), is an allele?

When a male has a shitload of flowers, it could pass that "flower producing gene" to a female offspring? that's crazy to think about for me, but it makes sense.

I usually just throw out the first sign of a male, but I want to start a little breeding project just to get my feet wet.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
Thanks for the extra info ML!

So flower production (quantity), is a trait shared by males and females?

When a male has a shitload of flowers, it could pass that "flower producing gene" to a female offspring? that's crazy to think about for me, but it makes sense.

I usually just throw out the first sign of a male, but I want to start a little breeding project just to get my feet wet.

yeah I'm barely a pollen chucker myself bro - just passing on info I gleamed from some real breeders

E

E.T.

the only way to judge a male is by his progeny. structure, floral clusters, flowering speed, stretch, stink, etc. are all important factors, but you never really know until you get into the offspring....

convex

convex

Sorry for being lazy... I just did some reading and it looks like a long process of keeping males until their offspring are flowered, so you can try to determine what qualities the make contributed.

When all is said and done, the female(s) should be tested for contribution as well.

Cheers

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
No lie I remember Lone said smoke it when I asked him the same question. If you catch a buzz then its a good male. Crazy as that sounds I know. He threw out some fire though. Never tried it.

symbiote420

symbiote420

the only way to judge a male is by his progeny. structure, floral clusters, flowering speed, stretch, stink, etc. are all important factors, but you never really know until you get into the offspring....

Ditto, that's the way I do it - in veg I look for the structure and smell more so.
in bloom - stretch, speed of flower, clusters, colors, etc.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Thank you everyone. Good thing I am patient.

Symbiote: When you pollinate do you just throw a male and females in a room, or are you more selective?

symbiote420

symbiote420

I'm more selective since I'm not a seed company I don't need 10,000+ beans, I need some smoke too lol, so I tend to keep things small by painting a couple lower buds with pollen this usually gives me a 100 or so beans to play with. My latest creations are Sour D x Purple Kush and LA Confidential x PK. I have a SD male I'm going to pollinate my LA, SD, and Larry OG with in a couple of weeks.

eyecandi

eyecandi

on male selection, i've also heard it's best to not take the first/fastest to drop ballz. any comments?

S

Skunkenstein

Eyecandi, was just ready to make that Comment.. If you have several males to choose from with the structure,smell,resin Production,ect. Another thing to Look for is How Fast/slow do Said Males Flower? It is my Understanding that the Fastest Males Lean toward Hemp/Auto-flowering Characteristics..A given population of Drug cannabis will revert in the Direction of Hemp if the Fastest Flowering males are Chosen over time. It's reallynice to be able to Flower out the select males, and See what their Bringing to the Table. In my Experience, the Best males in a Batch just have a Neon Sign Hanging over head Saying 'Me,Me,Me'.They usually stand out in a Big Way!! Resin production is Very big in My Book, and it's not usually visible unless the male is put under a Flowering cycle. The best Male I ever used was a DJ sHORT Grape Krush. He had standing Trichromes in Late Veg..the choice was Obvious. All his offspring are Stellar, without selection.You also need to Consider if the male if from an Ibl Line..Grape Krush is an F-5 Generation so he passes serious Influence to the Progeny(offspring). Generally, whatever Parent has the most Pedigree..these are usually the most dominate plants down the Line...In my Experience. Hope this Helps.

homebrew420

homebrew420

I think ET said it. I use structure and vigor as very important factors. Rubbing the stem will, I have found, give a good indication of potential aromatic qualities to be pasted along. Also speed in which they will begin to really put on flowers, 18hrs causes some to go in to full flower mode, while others linger behind. If the goal is to shorten flowering time, that can be helpful. Ideally you would flower out to the fullest extent of its life keep cuttings of course, and grow out a boat load of his progeny.
These are simple methods I use, and it has not let me down as of yet. They may not all be winners but if you can find a few your lookin good in my book.

Peace

phenotyper

phenotyper

Excellent info in this thread. I'll be following along. Thanks for the contributions everyone.

B

BUDOGHI

After using a male I like to keep it around as long as I can. If at any time it shows female attributes and I dump the seeds and destroy it. If it remains 100% male I continue to use it with other breeding partners and become familiar with the attributes it contributes. If I like these attributes I continue using this male if I don't I destroy the male and dump the seeds. I never have more than one male around at a time. When I have a good one I'll go through hell to keep it going. Currently my male is a Golden Tiger but it hasn't proven it's self yet.

T

thumpnasty

right now im keeping around a tre stardawg male that i hit up my sfv ogk clone, purple trainwreck , and bruce banner #3. im growing the sfv x trestardawgs now, im looking for chem stucture , with the sfv potency and smell.

homebrew420

homebrew420

thumpnasty those crosses sound pretty good. Nice choices.

On the comment of 1st male to flower does seem to have something too it. However there is often no real reference to gauge the decision on. If say you popped 20-30 one could make a good decision based on law of averages. Most of us dont have this kind of room. However, With many of the genetics we are using are so good, the selection is getting easier.

Structure and vigor are really I feel the most important. Resin and smell are then secondary for me at least. Smell and vigor for me is of equal importance. And I have then culled some to most of the males by the time they are really to flower. I will not choose a runt male. Ever. I have dont this in the past for one reason or another and have found that progeny will suffer in some form or another.
Keeping the male around is also important for the need to judge the stud qualities.
I am about to kick out a bunch of crosses Using 2 Magic Merlin males. Crosses with, XXX og, pre-98 bubba, NL#5, F-13, Humboldt Express, MM, MMbx2, and Purple Pineberry(if i fine a nice one), Banana Smack(selected females). Banana Smack, from Billy Goat, males will be used to make F2s. I have 2 males of polar opposites, large vigorous branchy open growth. The other is 1/2 as tall and nearly twice as wide, extremely dense very large wide leaves and excessively strong stems. These will also be used to make some selected crosses, the same as the merlin x's
Sorry about the tangent, just excited to see what we will get.

Peace

Dr CandyMan

Dr CandyMan

Breeder
Supporter
read DJ shorts male selection process, it will save u a whole lot of time.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
After using a male I like to keep it around as long as I can. If at any time it shows female attributes and I dump the seeds and destroy it. If it remains 100% male I continue to use it with other breeding partners and become familiar with the attributes it contributes. If I like these attributes I continue using this male if I don't I destroy the male and dump the seeds. I never have more than one male around at a time. When I have a good one I'll go through hell to keep it going. Currently my male is a Golden Tiger but it hasn't proven it's self yet.

I have to go back in to my books, but I am pretty sure I read that a male which later shows female flowers is a "revers hemaphrodite" and actually has very beneficial anti hermi genetics. dont quote me on that yet. Ill find the passage and put it here.

Top Bottom