How to properly Harvest ? from chop to market

• Thread starter Dynamite
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dynamite

Dynamite

It's a question - if you have ever looked at trichomes under a scope , then you understand my concern of a "proper" harvest and packaging

I'm speaking of weight , or methods that work in a timely fashion with weight (upwards of 10P's or more)

I'm using this method ,
trimmed off the plant into foot long+ sections
scissored up (aka wet trimmed)
hung on a coat hanger until the stem is mostly dry(5days or so)
trimmed into either a paper sack for further drying if necessary or str8 into a turkey bag for some cure time

so where this method fails , is when the herb goes into the paper sack sometimes Ill end up with half a bag full of herb that ends up so moist it all sticks together into one huge clump , and pulling that apart has to beat the trich's to death

or

when it goes straight into the turkey bag , I'm normally trimming close to a pound into a turkey bag , and always end up rolling the herb around in the bag which I again feel is just damaging even more trich's before the final product makes it into someones bowl .

What is your method ? What are you using for your processing and packaging tools ? I'm looking to up the standard's of quality here

Is it possible to bring growers head stash style herb to the masses without being insaneO OCD with the buds ?

I think I need to maybe trim smaller batches ,around a QP per bag to keep the weight of the flowers off themselves

Really I need some new tools of the trade , seen Subcool using aluminum turkey pans, what ideas you guys n gals have for me ?

socalpunx

socalpunx

leave it hanging up and drying for longer until stems snap when you try to bend them,Then you can put it in bags.I know the buds feel dry at first but there is still tons of cellular moisture left

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I do the same process Dynamite, sometimes I will put them into large jars for an even better form of storing until my trimmers are ready for work.

Recently I purchased a few of those circular dry racks and loaded it up with outdoor buds, we'll see how it compares to using hangers.

Myco

Myco

Breaking the branches/colas dowm into footlong sections and wet trimming is the best way to get inconsistent moisture distribution. Outside of the buds dry much quicker than the inner stem and are often put into bags/jars too soon. Not to say anyone can't get good results this way - I just feel that it narrows the window of proper moisture levels.

Now, I know dry trimming can be daunting with 10+ elbows, so I would understand anyone's reluctance to do so (although I dry trim 5-6 lbs regularly). But if you want to wet trim all the way to finished product, feel free. I would just leave the branches in larger sections. Also, too much airflow in the drying room can be bad. As can too low of humidity and too high of temps.

I keep my drying room around 45-50% RH, 68-70 degrees, and keep a small fan just kinda off to the side just to keep some low air circulation, but not blowing directly on buds. I chop the plant into halves, thirds, or quarters - depending on plant size. Of course if you have massive outdoor bushes, adjust accordingly. My plants hang for 7-10 days depending on strain/density/amount of resin, and I remove all foliage at the stem that doesn't have any resin. If you want to wet trim all the way down to finished product, these times won't be too much different, because it's not like I have fan leaves encasing the colas. I then will sometimes put the herb into paper bags if I feel like I want to redistribute a bit of moisture, or it will go directly into 5gal buckets with lids. Then I dry trim/manicure. If you've already wet trimmed, then battabing you're done. Burp as usual.

Just focus on more of a slow-dry, leave the branches in larger sections, watch your temps, RH%, airflow, and handle with care. Main thing is, don't put the herb into any container before you've gotten rid of majority if the moisture. That wet clump of herb that you have to peel apart will really give your buds that finger-fucked appearance.

There's a million ways to skin a cat, but those are my "guidelines" or so to speak.

Dynamite

Dynamite

Thanks peoples

In short I'm trying to think of some new methods of harvesting to bring "growers head stash" to the masses .. I can take a branch , toss it off to the side , dry trim it , and it ALWAYS looks and smells substantially better then the P's that have been wet trimmed and gone thru the stages of my normal processing , maybe just big leafing when fresh , and dry trimmed is where it's at ..

I really feel letting so much weight sit in the same pile is damaging , so I'm thinking I need WAY more turkey bags and only put a Q or a half in any given pile at a time..

Dynamite

Dynamite

I pulled the product from my dray racks yesterday and wont be using them anymore. Back to hangers...

thanks for honest results ! very much appreciated .. I see so much bulk weight in my area that looks to have almost been "keifed" , but I know it has not , just the handling and processing since the time of harvest really beat the buds up .. these days the first thing someone does is grab a scope when they are deciding if they want a P of my meds ..

G

gooey

I think you are very close to getting it how you want it. The method you described works good imo, all you need to check as others mentioned is bagging to early. If you wait untill all but the largest stems snap you will be fine to bag, sometimes leaving the bag open for a few days if you have any concern of moisture. Dry trim works good as well but i feel you lose more crystal, i do think it is faster tho. Like myco said many ways to skin cat. You got the skills mane, dont try and reinvent the wheel just dial it in homie. puff puff pass

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

After a few iterations this is what I am up to now:
cut at harvest and defoliate large fan leaves. exposure to light at this point is what make them smell like hay ... so minimize it.
then I hang them in here ( a moving closest box wit a few poles though it and a cut out for a fan) for a few days up to 7
then I cut them into Handel able lengths and manicure the buds keeping the trim for butter or whatever
the manicured buds are clipped and then go in a paper bag until I smoke em or they are about to be to dry, and then they go in a jar.

DSC 0166

DSC 0165

DSC 0163

DSC 0162

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

They are..... The top flap acts like an adjustable vent, to moderate the air flow. Total darkness to.

Natural

Natural

I don't think wet or dry trim makes or breaks you..I tend to do both...depending.
I don't use turkey bags or paper bags either. After de-boning they go into shallow tubs..no more than 5 or so inches deep with bud. If I run out of those I use regular gallon zippies with the zip open. I regulate the moisture with lids and keep them in large closets and small rooms where i can basically seal the room and crack the door according to my Rh needs.
You're definitely onto not over packing the turk bags...anymore than 6 oz per package is too much. I say that and don't bag too wet. I know it's a pain in the ass to get to that certain point without over-drying..but I don't think they should ever clump due to wetness..stickiness is ok..but letting them mush is no bueno imo.

pussOGbrah

pussOGbrah

chop colas off plant about 1-1.5ft sections. Hand trim any leaves off that have stem coming out past buds,,hang these wet de-fanned branches on clothes hanger as much as u can fit.

make a 2 dimensional square pvc frame with 1/2" pvc that is 3.5-4ft wide by 3.5-4ft tall..with a 3.5-4ft pvc piece running thru the middle width wise.. basically a frame with three levels to hang your coat hangers, but with enough room between sections so buds dont touch level below it..
then hang the frames from the ceiling in a 4x8 tent and start filling them with your bud filled hangers. each pvc frame can hold about 2-3 ps dry (obvi more when wet..) can fit 6 or 7 of these frames in a 4x8 tent..
^^let me know if you need more clarification lol i kno it seems confusing how i wrote it but it works tits!

buy bulk turk bags. When bud is dry and leaves crispy but not over dryed and (stems are still wet and dont snap), i cut the 1.5ft branches down to manageable sizes. Big enough branches to trim, but small enough to fit in turk bags comfortably like ~8inches pieces, i keep colas as intact as possible for ease of trimming. About a half p per turkey bag, i run 4 plants a light so 1 plant per bag or so.

roll these bags tops closed put clothes pin (so u dont have to knot and unknot the bags which causes damage) to keep lightly closed. After initial bagging, close 12 hours or so then open for 8-10 hours to let breathe, i do this 2-maybe 3 times, doesnt need much opening and closing.. Stem moisture will redistribute to buds. Check random nugs for the right moisture levels and pliablilty. When bud is how you want it close the bags up until u get to trimming..

when i trim i just grab a bag and start cleaning nugs to how i want them..finished nugs go into a fresh turk bag. done.

u do go thru turk bags this way but theyr cheap and work so whatever..dro stores sell up to 100 packs lesss than a dollar a bag

great smell, all nugs have undisturbed crystals, the frames allow u to dry lots in a very small space, and bucking big fans before u dry makes dry trimming easier because the big dry fans dont get in the way..

u can keep untrimmed buds stored this way for a long time if u must ( ive gone a month at least) without any loss of quality or moisture, which is not the case ime with storage totes. plus totes give plastic smell.

i ve done it all, wet trimming, storing dry branches in food grade brute storage totes, those black hanging compartmentalized basket things, spin-pros...

this method is my favorite and works for me.

had to contribute to this thread, cuz dynamite ur the man. ive learned lots from you lurking ur postings lol.

Dynamite

Dynamite

I think you are very close to getting it how you want it. The method you described works good imo, all you need to check as others mentioned is bagging to early. If you wait untill all but the largest stems snap you will be fine to bag, sometimes leaving the bag open for a few days if you have any concern of moisture. Dry trim works good as well but i feel you lose more crystal, i do think it is faster tho. Like myco said many ways to skin cat. You got the skills mane, dont try and reinvent the wheel just dial it in homie. puff puff pass

Thanks Gooey,hitting that exact point where it's not too wet to bag is tough when you grow as many different strains as I do , and then toss in a busy schedule .. timing is everything
I'm doing a new build out , and wanting to make a specific area for processing - trimming and drying ,packaging ect .. seems like buying turkey bags in bulk , and spending some loot on some rubbermaid containers is where it's at .. I couldn't find much info on the net about how everyone's going about it these days , I been using the same methods for upwards of 20yrs .

After a few iterations this is what I am up to now:
cut at harvest and defoliate large fan leaves. exposure to light at this point is what make them smell like hay ... so minimize it.
then I hang them in here ( a moving closest box wit a few poles though it and a cut out for a fan) for a few days up to 7
then I cut them into Handel able lengths and manicure the buds keeping the trim for butter or whatever
the manicured buds are clipped and then go in a paper bag until I smoke em or they are about to be to dry, and then they go in a jar.

Thats some serious Mcguyver stuff !! LOVE IT !! .. good input , appreciated

I don't think wet or dry trim makes or breaks you..I tend to do both...depending.
I don't use turkey bags or paper bags either. After de-boning they go into shallow tubs..no more than 5 or so inches deep with bud. If I run out of those I use regular gallon zippies with the zip open. I regulate the moisture with lids and keep them in large closets and small rooms where i can basically seal the room and crack the door according to my Rh needs.
You're definitely onto not over packing the turk bags...anymore than 6 oz per package is too much. I say that and don't bag too wet. I know it's a pain in the ass to get to that certain point without over-drying..but I don't think they should ever clump due to wetness..stickiness is ok..but letting them mush is no bueno imo.

yeah, I wet and dry trim a bit aswel , seems more to do with how fast you dry it out , and your local environment .. I had a 1/2 papersack go mush on me this run , and it just makes you go fUUUck when that happens and ya gotta pull it all apart , the strain was a little denser then the others so I should of seen it coming ..

chop colas off plant about 1-1.5ft sections. Hand trim any leaves off that have stem coming out past buds,,hang these wet de-fanned branches on clothes hanger as much as u can fit.

make a 2 dimensional square pvc frame with 1/2" pvc that is 3.5-4ft wide by 3.5-4ft tall..with a 3.5-4ft pvc piece running thru the middle width wise.. basically a frame with three levels to hang your coat hangers, but with enough room between sections so buds dont touch level below it..
then hang the frames from the ceiling in a 4x8 tent and start filling them with your bud filled hangers. each pvc frame can hold about 2-3 ps dry (obvi more when wet..) can fit 6 or 7 of these frames in a 4x8 tent..
^^let me know if you need more clarification lol i kno it seems confusing how i wrote it but it works tits!

buy bulk turk bags. When bud is dry and leaves crispy but not over dryed and (stems are still wet and dont snap), i cut the 1.5ft branches down to manageable sizes. Big enough branches to trim, but small enough to fit in turk bags comfortably like ~8inches pieces, i keep colas as intact as possible for ease of trimming. About a half p per turkey bag, i run 4 plants a light so 1 plant per bag or so.

roll these bags tops closed put clothes pin (so u dont have to knot and unknot the bags which causes damage) to keep lightly closed. After initial bagging, close 12 hours or so then open for 8-10 hours to let breathe, i do this 2-maybe 3 times, doesnt need much opening and closing.. Stem moisture will redistribute to buds. Check random nugs for the right moisture levels and pliablilty. When bud is how you want it close the bags up until u get to trimming..

when i trim i just grab a bag and start cleaning nugs to how i want them..finished nugs go into a fresh turk bag. done.

u do go thru turk bags this way but theyr cheap and work so whatever..dro stores sell up to 100 packs lesss than a dollar a bag

great smell, all nugs have undisturbed crystals, the frames allow u to dry lots in a very small space, and bucking big fans before u dry makes dry trimming easier because the big dry fans dont get in the way..

u can keep untrimmed buds stored this way for a long time if u must ( ive gone a month at least) without any loss of quality or moisture, which is not the case ime with storage totes. plus totes give plastic smell.

i ve done it all, wet trimming, storing dry branches in food grade brute storage totes, those black hanging compartmentalized basket things, spin-pros...

this method is my favorite and works for me.

had to contribute to this thread, cuz dynamite ur the man. ive learned lots from you lurking ur postings lol.

Thanks for taking the time here ! I have an extra grow tent kicking around , seems perfect for a drying area I could easily control the temp and humidity in .. I fully get the idea of a PVC frame for hanging hangers on , and spaced far enough where the levels of buds won't touch .. and bulk turkey bags <<that's where it's at .. I already do the clothes pin thing , but a great tip and one of those details that makes the difference .. it's just about trying to come up with what works for weight , but the least amount of handling of the buds as possible , trich's are small - but oh so valuable

jaredman

jaredman

Ten plus is a good room full. In your tent if it is a ten by ten you should be able to construct a frame inside made of two by fours that is supported laterally so the wet weight will be supported as it will be very heavy like 100 plus pounds. on two sides of your frame will be where you connect your wire. make a level at six feet and at three feet to connect wire. Use tie wire for concrete and run it across the tent in ten inch increments. this will give you two hundred twenty feet of hanging space. chop your colas off and big leaf them. hang em up on the wires. it kinda a pain but you can squeeze in between the lower level. dry at 60 degrees at 55 percent humidity. when the stems snap on the medium size colas you are ready to break it down off the stem. at this point use judgement and break the colas down to the size of the final buds. put these in Rubbermaid thirty gallon totes. you can fill these pretty full with no detriment to crystals. about five pounds will fit in each tote. the smell should be great if you have done the correct temp and humidity so you can throw the lid on the bins. check it in about an hour if any hay smell starts coming up leave the lid off for four hours. continue this process until the smell is good when you open the bin. at this point leave the lid on for a week to cure and burp once a day for like fifteen minutes. Now you are ready to trim, and since you are all cured you can trim and package at this point. This is the method that I find maintains the most crystal. you only are handling the finished product one time this way.

frebo

frebo

I pulled the product from my dray racks yesterday and wont be using them anymore. Back to hangers...

My mechanic has a laundry service that brings fresh laundered shirts on the old metal hangers and the dollar tree had wooden clothes pins that are easy to label with the strain and date harvested. The metal hangers worked much better than the newer plastic ones.

Of everything I have learned from this site, CURING HAS BEEN THE MOST IMPORTANT.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Why not just monitor a room or tent, or even a big box, and raise the humidity to curing levels after initial drying? Wouldn't that eliminate all the sweating and burping chores?

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Why not just monitor a room or tent, or even a big box, and raise the humidity to curing levels after initial drying? Wouldn't that eliminate all the sweating and burping chores?
Yes, but the size room needed to dry 10+ units will require a humidifier, dehumidifier, A/C, heater and fan to keep climate in optimum temp/RH. Talking another grow room.. Rather burp..

Dynamite

Dynamite

Yes, but the size room needed to dry 10+ units will require a humidifier, dehumidifier, A/C, heater and fan to keep climate in optimum temp/RH. Talking another grow room.. Rather burp..

you nailed that on the head ..I have a 8 x 5 area I have roughly framed in just for drying , with a 8 1/2ft ceiling , hoping it will accommodate(wishful thinking would be my 4x4 tent, but I'm doubting it) .. square footage is a commodity .. where I live the humidity is very low , the drying area will be equipped with an a/c , humidifier and a fan .. thinking wet trimming the lower halves of my plants , and dry trimming the top half .. dry trimming small stuff sucks ,and I can never get it to look as good as wet trimmed

continue this process until the smell is good when you open the bin. at this point leave the lid on for a week to cure and burp once a day for like fifteen minutes. Now you are ready to trim, and since you are all cured you can trim and package at this point. This is the method that I find maintains the most crystal. you only are handling the finished product one time this way.

you don't feel it's easier to dry trim fresh off the hangers ? seems after I've bagged stuff , and then try and trim it ,lots of the leafs curl into the buds and seems like I hafta dig to much with the scissors to get the buds cleaned up .. everything else, i'm with ya 100%..solid info

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

you nailed that on the head ..I have a 8 x 5 area I have roughly framed in just for drying , with a 8 1/2ft ceiling , hoping it will accommodate(wishful thinking would be my 4x4 tent, but I'm doubting it) .. square footage is a commodity .. where I live the humidity is very low , the drying area will be equipped with an a/c , humidifier and a fan .. thinking wet trimming the lower halves of my plants , and dry trimming the top half .. dry trimming small stuff sucks ,and I can never get it to look as good as wet trimmed

you don't feel it's easier to dry trim fresh off the hangers ? seems after I've bagged stuff , and then try and trim it ,lots of the leafs curl into the buds and seems like I hafta dig to much with the scissors to get the buds cleaned up .. everything else, i'm with ya 100%..solid info

The humidity is low in my spot as well. I am using the cubby space or a groove that is in a walk-in closet. I will be closing the 4.5'x4.5'x8' area of with plastic to see if this raises humidity because my buds currently dry TOO fast, 4-5 days. I wet trim anything that isn't covered in sugar and I monitor the product closely, when I pull it it's usually dry enough to avoid the leaf curling into the bud and still moist enough to maintain that squishy cured feel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom