How to remove alcohol from tincture

• Thread starter Lisa22
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lisa22

Lisa22

I use Everclear and the Butter machine to make a marijuana tincture but it burn to much - how do I remove more alcohol safely. Have a gas stove and afraid to use double boiler. Have used electric fry pan but that scares me a bit as I keep having to turn it off and on as the tincture bubbles and the alcohol burns off. Hoping for more advice from people doing this same thing.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Best thing is to use a pressure cooker and an evap coil to reclaim the alcohol and keep it from venting out into the air. For 1 that is bad for you and for 2 that is a fire hazard.

Lisa22

Lisa22

Interesting! I knew that it was dangerous - that's why I'm asking. I've never heard of an evap coil - I'll do some research. Pressure cooker? I have one of those - it seems that the combination of alcohol and a pressure cooker would be more dangerous than what I'm doing now. I am doing small batches - like 16 oz.

Lisa22

Lisa22

By the by Cemchris I like your UFO ride and riders! We are going to UFO congress in Phoenix in a month - haven't been in years and years but things have gotten more interesting again.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Interesting! I knew that it was dangerous - that's why I'm asking. I've never heard of an evap coil - I'll do some research. Pressure cooker? I have one of those - it seems that the combination of alcohol and a pressure cooker would be more dangerous than what I'm doing now. I am doing small batches - like 16 oz.

You use a pressure cooker since it's usually the cheapest route for a sealed container plus it has a nipple on top to attach tubing to. Look at distilling alcohol stuff. Moonshine equip.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I use Everclear and the Butter machine to make a marijuana tincture but it burn to much - how do I remove more alcohol safely. Have a gas stove and afraid to use double boiler. Have used electric fry pan but that scares me a bit as I keep having to turn it off and on as the tincture bubbles and the alcohol burns off. Hoping for more advice from people doing this same thing.
Either allow to evaporate or use a crock pot. No open flame.

Lisa22

Lisa22

Thank you both! Better understanding from pressure cooker/moonshine comparison. Will research that and look at crock pots. Thanks again.

Dan789

Dan789

Crock pot set to high
67EFD8DC 3D48 4091 904B 2F97DED3B22A

, probably the safest, (filled with water but is slow), I’m using an electric hot plate, where I’ve determined (the rotary dial) just where the alcohol starts to evaporate. I do it off away from things, outdoors on some concrete, use extension cord to help get it away from anything burnable. Watch what your doing, have an idea what you’ll use if the shit gets out of hand, sand, salt, cover, and a fire extinguisher wouldn’t be out of the question. Good luck, don’t try to rush the process. Next time consider using vegetable glycerin, from the start, knowing you can’t reduce that, though...

Dan789

Dan789

@Lisa22 Couldn’t edit the text for some reason, now using 1000 ml. Borosilicate glass beaker as I found the alcohol etched the plastic, my bad...Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Lisa22

Lisa22

Thanks - the idea about the hot plate helped as I have a gas stove! Also you were writing something about using glycerin. That has been my main method - I do that and make gummies. However, I couldn't figure how why I was gaining weight - grape juice + glycerin has quite a few calories. Thought going back to alcohol might solve that problem but the alcohol is burning my mouth, so trying to reduce the alcohol. Is there a way to reduce the glycerin too?

Dan789

Dan789

Thanks - the idea about the hot plate helped as I have a gas stove! Also you were writing something about using glycerin. That has been my main method - I do that and make gummies. However, I couldn't figure how why I was gaining weight - grape juice + glycerin has quite a few calories. Thought going back to alcohol might solve that problem but the alcohol is burning my mouth, so trying to reduce the alcohol. Is there a way to reduce the glycerin too?
As you boil off the alcohol, don't add quite as much glycerin back, starting with your 16 0z. alcohol, only add 8 oz. of glycerin back in, That would be the way I'm planning. Also adding more MJ initially, then you'd have a higher ratio of THC in the final product, and you'd need less for the same effect.

Lisa22

Lisa22

Sorry, this one I don't understand. You are burning off alcohol and adding glycerin? Why?

Dan789

Dan789

First thing I believe is that it will reduce the percentage and amount of alcohol consumed, also the glycerin isn’t quite as toxic as the alcohol to our system. Don’t try this yourself without accepting full responsibility for the potential outcome...

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'd pour it into a flat bottom pyrex dish with lots of surface area and stick it on top of the fridge. Most of the alcohol should be gone in a day or two.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

You can make it twice as strong and then cut with 80 proof, or let some of the alcohol evaporate and then cut. Easier just to add to coffee or other beverage. 😉

YnoTony

YnoTony

I just made my first tincture with everclear. Yes the burn a negative about it. I always make infused coconut oil. Which I use for bacon brownies but I do just swallow a tablespoon here and there. Well anyway, I am going to make a tincture again but I am going to use Bacardi 151 and at least that alcohol will actually taste like alcohol not nail polish.
I was thinking too also that my brother uses the everclear to make a flavored moonshine. He uses like some cinnamon sticks and peaches and a few other things I'll have to check on that but it tastes pretty good. So maybe I could make the tincture with that flavored moonshine he makes or after I make the tincture then I try to flavor it up the way that he does. Just two ideas that I had which I will be trying in the next couple weeks.

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

I just made my first tincture with everclear. Yes the burn a negative about it. I always make infused coconut oil. Which I use for bacon brownies but I do just swallow a tablespoon here and there. Well anyway, I am going to make a tincture again but I am going to use Bacardi 151 and at least that alcohol will actually taste like alcohol not nail polish.
I was thinking too also that my brother uses the everclear to make a flavored moonshine. He uses like some cinnamon sticks and peaches and a few other things I'll have to check on that but it tastes pretty good. So maybe I could make the tincture with that flavored moonshine he makes or after I make the tincture then I try to flavor it up the way that he does. Just two ideas that I had which I will be trying in the next couple weeks.

Just make sure you do your extraction first
Then flavor it
Unsure how well the extraction process will go if the alcohol already has something in it
151 is a good call if you plan to use for drinks
You can even reduce it a little for potency

jmzjmz

jmzjmz

I extract with everclear, and then make hard candies with it. Once you get the candy mixture to hard crack stage, I turn off the burner and let drop to 250 degrees and then add as much tincture as I want for the potency I'm looking for. It cooks off with no heat. Once most has evaporated, then I fan the stove and then turn the burner back on low. Within a minute or 2, the rest of the alcohol has burned off.

Just another idea for utilizing it.

Top Bottom