How to select a male for breeding

• Thread starter Mikedin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
This is a very general question, my plan would be to find a strain I really like and then find a male to keep as a father plant in one of my vegetable tents (yes actual vegetable tent)

When you select a male what do you specifically look for?

I know the answers will be widespread but that’s fine I’m looking for a beginners course in breeding, the female part I understand the pheno portion but that’s where my understanding ends

Throw any opinions out you have or what you personally look for and any resources you use outside the farm for research on the topic I’ve looked and lurked a lot at the breeding forum but thought this would be a good place to discuss it where multiple people can learn the process and get new ideas

Thank you!

Bushbandit

Bushbandit

Answer part A

If you have a strain you like and would like to continue having,why not use Colloidal silver instead of crossing it with a male.

Answer part B

When I’m breeding,I’m personally looking for a well structured plant,short spacing between the nodes
Not a plant that stretches or grows too tall,more compact

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
If the feller spits trichs you let him spooge on all the ladies in the room

Male plant

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Answer part A

If you have a strain you like and would like to continue having,why not use Colloidal silver instead of crossing it with a male.

Answer part B

When I’m breeding,I’m personally looking for a well structured plant,short spacing between the nodes
Thank you! That is very helpful, I read about the colloidal silver, I may look into that more. I have always ran fems but now that I’m getting more set up and if I could find a male I would like to save I’d like to try the bonsai method. I’m buying the wife a 4x8 but it’ll just be straight exhausted but will work fine for a early veg tent l figured if I can keep a male of a strain I like that meets the criteria of a keeper I would clone him and reveg and then keep him near dormant as possible till I need him, but figuring from the walkthrough in making the bonsai plant it only needs a 4”x4” square pot. (Same for mothers also) If I can make that work I’d more than happily keep a couple in there for breeding, especially seeing that I’m only planning to run 3x plants at a time each in their own 4x4 scrog net

If the feller spits trichs you let him spooge on all the ladies in the room

View attachment 1323200

… talk about a perfect analogy huh? 😂😂😂👍

S

Stonemason7767

Answer part A

Answer part B

S

Stonemason7767

I was listening to some old timers talk about breeding the other day,which they have been doing since before I was alive.it was on future canabiss project.they said they never breed using males because u don't know what you will get .so they always breed female to female using something like collidol silver. I can't remember what it was called.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
you can even go further and select an even better male and fem from the offspring of your first breeding project there we got f2, repeat till stable
Awesome! Obviously this is a long term plan, fiat will be a full tent redo, everything is coming down after this run, I am planning for the 4x8 to increase to a 8” exhaust vented to an adjacent room, , then add a AC infinity Rexial S8 for forced air inlet inlet will come from a lung room with the dehu, then move the 6” exhaust to the 4x4 and add a 6” AC-infinity rexial S6 for its forced air inlet

The exhaust will go to a 3rd room on the other side of the grow room

Basic idea we have is this, it’s our working plan atm but we’ll see once it takes shape, there will be no flex duct all will be normal 6 and 8” HVAC pipe (round OFC lol)

And yes I do sleep in the room I’ll have about 2 feet between the bed and the tent but I can make that work, it’s just where I sleep on midnights and the fans are actually soothing to me I sleep with 2 tents in my room now and still have to run the TV all day to sleep lol

Also plans can be changed this is our starting idea I want to move to coco or hydro eventually once the funds are available for a project like that lol,

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

the utility room is properly vented? nothing blocking air vents or windows
edit: seeing all this other space in other rooms that tent can go in tho?

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
the utility room is properly vented? nothing blocking air vents or windows
edit: seeing all this other space in other rooms that tent can go in tho?
Lol back room is an entertainment room that guests come over to, and is also getting upgrades, I used to have the tent in there when I first got it, the utility room is connected by open doors directly to a 40’x40’ crawlspace (dry, heated, all concrete with insulated walls, no windows) the utility room is where the 4x8 is currently where the vegetable tent will be, so the utility room itself is 20x15 and the utility room is about 35x15 but also has a wood stove in it that we use when it really gets cold and that room cooks lol. Yes I went through that when I had the tent there, and that’s why I won’t put another one in there haha

This would be directly across from the tent about 10’ away lol. Then the other side of that room

Was standing in the middle of the room when I took the pics it’s a large room but gunna have a dinner table, 80” tv, multiple chairs and bean bag chairs etc lol,

Yea I can walk out of the basement right into the backyard, only 5 steps up

Last pic you can see the bricks from the wood stove in the bottom, that’s how close the tent would be to the wood stove
7040BF55 788F 4B9F 8BE8 8D4F54630387
1101462B 95DC 4085 B696 4C6A257FF21D
BA060EF7 A501 4C2E 878D 0F0D8364BCC2

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

spaces occupied got it. look sitting with similar situation. the garden flatlet is vacant i never want tenant again like ever..never! anyway that space is now either gonna be a play area for the kids or a flower room, i have yet to win the argument as i already have a whole room dedicated. daughters think is gonna become a doll house, spoilt.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
spaces occupied got it. look sitting with similar situation. the garden flatlet is vacant i never want tenant again like ever..never! anyway that space is now either gonna be a play area for the kids or a flower room, i have yet to win the argument as i already have a whole room dedicated. daughters think is gonna become a doll house, spoilt.
Haha I hear ya, the kids ride their bikes etc down there atm (and have a bounce house lol) but carpet is going in, I’m surprised the wife was happy with my current plan lol, I think the 4x8 vegetable tent for her was the selling point lol

The whole utility room is basically dedicated to me mixing neuts and dealing with plants lol

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I think the 4x8 vegetable tent for her was the selling point lol
nice, when i asked if i can go ahead and use the empty room for growing she said no. lucky some time after she begged for yet another puppy, so we both got what we wanted.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
nice, when i asked if i can go ahead and use the empty room for growing she said no. lucky some time after she begged for yet another puppy, so we both got what we wanted.
Hahahaha yeah I was just posting pics of my dogs and cats in another topic haha 4 dogs and 4 cats here lol

More animal purchases in my house are banned for the next 6 years minimum lol

Unless I need another light I guess hahahahaha

E

Edinburg

I have 30 reg autoflower seeds called sour 60 it is 1/2 of the extinct strain Sour Spyder, there smallish so I'm going to grow a large female and pollinate it, seeds are many generations stable but just to see what happens if ever get the time.

Bushbandit

Bushbandit

I was listening to some old timers talk about breeding the other day,which they have been doing since before I was alive.it was on future canabiss project.they said they never breed using males because u don't know what you will get .so they always breed female to female using something like collidol silver. I can't remember what it was called.
Before colloidal silver the method used for female seeds was Rhodelization,but it wasn’t the most stable method

1. Rhodelization (Not Recommended!) – In some cases, a female cannabis plant may naturally start making male pollen sacs or bananas, which can self-pollinate the plant. This happens if the plant is stressed, or if the plant is not harvested in time and buds start to die of old age. The plant is basically doing everything it can to make seeds and save the next generation. This method is “natural” and these seeds end up being mostly female. The problem with this method is you’re selecting for plants that naturally turn into hermies (grow both male and female sex organs) without any chemical induction. This means the resulting seeds are much more likely to turn hermie in natural conditions, too. That’s a problem if you don’t want seedy buds every time you harvest. For that reason, it’s highly recommended you don’t feminize seeds this way. It’s also a good idea to toss any and all seeds that are the result of natural herming (for example seeds you find in your buds even though you didn’t grow any male plants).

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Before colloidal silver the method used for female seeds was Rhodelization,but it wasn’t the most stable method

1. Rhodelization (Not Recommended!) – In some cases, a female cannabis plant may naturally start making male pollen sacs or bananas, which can self-pollinate the plant. This happens if the plant is stressed, or if the plant is not harvested in time and buds start to die of old age. The plant is basically doing everything it can to make seeds and save the next generation. This method is “natural” and these seeds end up being mostly female. The problem with this method is you’re selecting for plants that naturally turn into hermies (grow both male and female sex organs) without any chemical induction. This means the resulting seeds are much more likely to turn hermie in natural conditions, too. That’s a problem if you don’t want seedy buds every time you harvest. For that reason, it’s highly recommended you don’t feminize seeds this way. It’s also a good idea to toss any and all seeds that are the result of natural herming (for example seeds you find in your buds even though you didn’t grow any male plants).
same when you find seed from the dispense weed those where all females in the flower room...your seed has hermie traits

S

Stonemason7767

1. Rhodelization (Not Recommended!) – In some cases, a female cannabis plant may naturally start making male pollen sacs or bananas, which can self-pollinate the plant. This happens if the plant is stressed, or if the plant is not harvested in time and buds start to die of old age. The plant is basically doing everything it can to make seeds and save the next generation. This method is “natural” and these seeds end up being mostly female. The problem with this method is you’re selecting for plants that naturally turn into hermies (grow both male and female sex organs) without any chemical induction. This means the resulting seeds are much more likely to turn hermie in natural conditions, too. That’s a problem if you don’t want seedy buds every time you harvest. For that reason, it’s highly recommended you don’t feminize seeds this way. It’s also a good idea to toss any and all seeds that are the result of natural herming (for example seeds you find in your buds even though you didn’t grow

They where using something like the silver,can't remember what it was .they had better results with it.i will try to watch the interview again sometime.

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
I have yet to start breeding, but I'm hoping I'l be able to start my first project at some point this year. I kept a male from my first phenohunt. I only had two out of the twelve plants to pick from. Both plants were similar going into flower and I allowed them to Flower for two weeks. I wanted something that flowers quickly knowing the strain was a potential 9-12 week mostly Sativa hybrid. I went with the plant that produced a lot more flower sites in those first two weeks and started to mature quicker.

From what I've read, ideally you want to see those male flowers fully mature and that's where you'll see full size/density of the male flower clusters, any change in colors, and trichome production. That's not always possible because you don't necessarily want to pollinate the females like the situation I recently had. Structure, internodal spacing, branch strength, growth rate, and stem rubs for smell are all things that can be taken into account during the Veg cycle.

@AnimalHouse I'm curious how soon did that male start producing trichomes?

Latest posts

Top Bottom