how to use jiffy pellets to germinate

• Thread starter GreenGalaxyFarm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

i have some jiffy pellets and sativa seeds, has anyone tried germinating in them before? looking for some advice the first few i soaked for a few minutes and planted some seeds directly into them two days ago, will they sprout this way?

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

swazi gold
WhatsApp Image 2023 01 07 at 170831

TSD

TSD

They should as long as you keep em warm... I prefer sowing germed seeds into thier first pots and save the pellets for making clones.

quirk

quirk

I use them exclusively, with consistent results. Warm and moist (30-45g) on a heat pad and 60-70hrs. later I have a sprout that I transfer to the final pot a day later. The pellets make germ/sprout easy for me as I am terrible at transplanting. I'm an old.

Seed soak
Ready to plant
Ready to transfer
Day after sprout
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I use them exclusively, with consistent results. Warm and moist (30-45g) on a heat pad and 60-70hrs. later I have a sprout that I transfer to the final pot a day later. The pellets make germ/sprout easy for me as I am terrible at transplanting. I'm an old.
what are you soaking the seeds in here

Trixie

Trixie

I used to use jiffy pots until I found a better way. The problem with jiffy pots is there are no nutrients in the pots. The germinated plant has to fast during the first few days after the seed sprout. The best germination mix I have found is super soil in dixie cups. Only pure water and FFOF or Happy Frog or Roots Organic only.

Fatseedlin

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I used Jiffy Pellets successfully for a few years. Then one year they were a little too densely packed, and it was a disaster. Roots had a tough time penetrating and I'm sure they were starved for oxygen. Anyway, I haven't used them in at least 10 years.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I used Jiffy Pellets successfully for a few years. Then one year they were a little too densely packed, and it was a disaster. Roots had a tough time penetrating and I'm sure they were starved for oxygen. Anyway, I haven't used them in at least 10 years.
what method works better for you

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I used to use jiffy pots until I found a better way. The problem with jiffy pots is there are no nutrients in the pots. The germinated plant has to fast during the first few days after the seed sprout. The best germination mix I have found is super soil in dixie cups. Only pure water and FFOF or Happy Frog or Roots Organic only.

View attachment 1318144
these jiffys im running have been soaked in low dose of kelp and will get kelp and mycorrhizae feed at transplant into solo cup

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

what is your soil recipe

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

what method works better for you
I use the:

1. overnight soak
2. paper towels
3. plant sprouted seed in soil

method.

Whatever works for you is best. The overnight soak definitely speeds up the process. I like to put them in paper towels, so I know which seeds germinated before they go into a pot.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I use the:

1. overnight soak
2. paper towels
3. plant sprouted seed in soil

method.

Whatever works for you is best. The overnight soak definitely speeds up the process. I like to put them in paper towels, so I know which seeds germinated before they go into a pot.
agree they like to soak, also dislike planting directly in soil substrate which is why we gave jiffy pellet a try in first place i have a few more popping so far it seems to work well for me. i would be to nervous to work with taproots is why i do not do paper towel method right now, might have to in future if success rate isn't satisfactory ✌️ 🇿🇦

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If your Jiffy Pellets are a consistent product and they work for you, stick with them.

Yes, if you forget about the seeds in the towels, the tap roots can penetrate the towels and the root tip can break off when you try to remove it. That can turn someone off the paper towel method, fast!

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

7 have popped so far. did some liquid kelp after transplant from jiffy to solo cup
WhatsApp Image 2023 01 10 at 203550

Top Bottom