how to use jiffy pellets to germinate

• Thread starter GreenGalaxyFarm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

another one germinated so its up to 8 out of the 22 planted, success is not great. this may be due to the seeds being somewhat immature, they were really small. still have about 12 seeds of the swazi gold left but im sure ill find a good mother with the 8.
WhatsApp Image 2023 01 12 at 125559

TSD

TSD

I definitely had lower than usual germination rates the year I tried to germ in pellets. Probably like half of what I usually manage, which as long as the seeds are not old and are hardy, I usually get them all to at least pop and start a tail. I've had a few duds that popped and did weird shit, like not growing a proper root or like my current runt, getting stuck and stunted... but there's always gonna be duds eventually. Except my like 20 from BCBUDDEPOT that not a damn one even cracked. I blame them for that because I've never had that happen. Fuck those guys lol.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I definitely had lower than usual germination rates the year I tried to germ in pellets. Probably like half of what I usually manage, which as long as the seeds are not old and are hardy, I usually get them all to at least pop and start a tail. I've had a few duds that popped and did weird shit, like not growing a proper root or like my current runt, getting stuck and stunted... but there's always gonna be duds eventually. Except my like 20 from BCBUDDEPOT that not a damn one even cracked. I blame them for that because I've never had that happen. Fuck those guys lol.
20 seeds not one even cracked. that sucks man, guessing you paid for it too i got these free atleast so im just playing around while i upgrade to room.
i might have to up you and say that of the last run in 40 solo cups with soil i only had 2 pop they growing nicely now, just topped yesterday but im growing to find the most sativa looking one i can find

WhatsApp Image 2023 01 12 at 150423
WhatsApp Image 2023 01 12 at 150424

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

got 18 new seeds in jiffys yesterday, hoping to get but success rate this time around

coherent

coherent

To each there own, but never had any luck with jiffy pots or equivalent. Switched to germinating with paper towel in a plastic sandwich bag and then transfer to a solo cup and never had any issues and close to 100 percent success rate. I thought the jiffy pots would make things better and simpler... just was a waste of money and effort that was unneeded. .

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Jiffy puck works fine for me but I do the paper towel trick first. I like putting seeds into water bottle terrariums with soil when I can once the seeds pop.

Also use jiffy pucks for clones 100%.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Jiffy puck works fine for me but I do the paper towel trick first. I like putting seeds into water bottle terrariums with soil when I can once the seeds pop.

Also use jiffy pucks for clones 100%.
we are doing 6 sativa clones in jiffys, rh 91. hope for some good results as i want to chose mother

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

To each there own, but never had any luck with jiffy pots or equivalent. Switched to germinating with paper towel in a plastic sandwich bag and then transfer to a solo cup and never had any issues and close to 100 percent success rate. I thought the jiffy pots would make things better and simpler... just was a waste of money and effort that was unneeded. .
seems like a lot of people are going this route of paper towel to solo or final container

TSD

TSD

seems like a lot of people are going this route of paper towel to solo or final container
Yeah I think that's kind of standard practice really. I soak for a day or so in plain water, if they've popped a lil tail, they go to soil in thier first pot, which for photos, now I'm doing 1 gallon first to avoid one transplant and these autos I currently have went right to final pot of almost 4 gallons. If they don't pop after soaking, they get the paper towel treatment till they do, which is usually another couple days for stubborn seeds.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

room temp 25.5c/77,9f and rh64 dome temp 27.3c/81.14f and rh88
no hybrid seed germination yet 0/18

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

room temp 27.7c/81.9f rh55
dome temp 30.4c/86.72f rh91
hybrid seed germination 1/18

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

1/18 in how many days? Don’t recall for seeds but clones have taken up to 22 days to get good roots showing.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Don’t recall for seeds but clones have taken up to 22 days to get good roots showing.
also have 6 clones going, day 5, hope they make it more than i'm banking on the seeds germinating as they are landrace
ordering more seeds from simba seeds soon then i hope to get high 90s germ rate as they will start what will be a mother and clone room
not sure which method im gonna do in the end yet

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

room temp 28c/82.4f rh70
dome temp 30.5c/87f rh93
hybrid seed germination 2/18

Last edited:
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

open dome controls and rotated lid a bit
rh down to 82%
temp also down to 29.9c/85,8f
should be more optimal now

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
I used jiffy pots in the beginning but had used them for a while with regular seeds.

I would soak for at least an hour in room temp RO water, no nutes

I would slightly massage the pellet until I felt it was starting to lose the netting integrity

Plant seed-in middle with slight dirt cover almost nothing

Put in tray and wait for sprout. When sprouts and you want to take to a solo cup I’d remove the netting. If roots went through the net I’d rip the net around it but leave it on to allow smaller roots an easier time to get out from the jiffy area

Water with ro and pink drink (clonex and water)

They seem to love it or I’ve just been super super lucky with germination. This includes veggies, bag seed, reg and fems

Top Bottom