HOW TO WATER COCO FOR BEST RESULTS.

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So I should feed lower EC to get higher run-off ec? That's weird, I would have never guessed. I read that if the run-off ec gets higher that means that you need to water more often, but my EC is very low so I wouldn't think there would be salt build up. The tips of the leaves shows burning so I think you might be right. I will try a lower EC next time. Right now I'm feeding with a mix around 1500-1600ec. It's on day 56 from sprout, slh autoflower. What ec should I feed? Thank you.

the light mix flush attracts enough salts to break free the locked up excess. Before that the same feed went in and less and less was coming out but the plants were showing nutrient stress. I was just sharing that the runoff can read like that.

Madmax

Madmax

Ive been feeding one at 650 and still get runoff over 1000 after 4 days.and have had to keep flushing it.the other plant id get to 6-7 days..its got me beat ..i kept thinking the 4 holes and root mass the salts are battling to get out...simply put these 2 plants must b light feeders.

Last edited:
Magicgreen

Magicgreen

I would like to discuss about that. In my short experience whith coco i think that keep the coco saturated at the 90% it's not good at all during veg.

When u start the veg with a cutting, the root system grow faster if we let the coco get dry until 30% of humidity. That dry cycle since the moment you water the coco until 70-80% humidity and gets dry to 25-30% stimulates the root system to grow looking for water when the coco is getting dry.

If we produce many dry cycles a day like 2 or 3, being necesary water 2-3 times a day, we Will be getting a very fast and explosive grow, and a very strong root system.

I only get some run off 1 time a week ir two weeks, and i use enzimes 1 time a week and i'm very happy with my results.

Thats My way of work with coco.
Coco coir is indeed 100% hydroponic culture therefore fertilizer needs to be soluble at all times that requires over 90% wetness in the pots . Please keep your coco wet at all times . If you treat coco like soil it will give you a soil result and surely worse..

Tesla666

Tesla666

Coco coir is indeed 100% hydroponic culture therefore fertilizer needs to be soluble at all times that requires over 90% wetness in the pots . Please keep your coco wet at all times . If you treat coco like soil it will give you a soil result and surely worse..
The Canna FAQ recomends let ir dry till 30-50% at the first stages of the plant for not overwatering
i'm actually trying your teqnique anyway

Tesla666

Tesla666

Is that for their canna terra professional soil mix Tesla..
Check. "One of the biggest issues with coco is watering practices. Coco is a sponge, and like a sponge, when squeezed water comes out, but not all the water. The sponge will remain damp and coco can still appear wet without having enough available water to give to the plant. Constantly watering coco results in over-watering. When using coco, there is a need to water at a minimum of 50% dry. Sometimes 70% dry might be better especially during the first weeks, when most roots are formed. "

Madmax

Madmax

Mine are fine bro and loving it.they speak for themselves and beautiful white roots.if your rooms dialed you wont have any problems.23 days old.
20201217 183806

Magicgreen

Magicgreen

The Canna FAQ recomends let ir dry till 30-50% at the first stages of the plant for not overwatering
i'm actually trying your teqnique anyway
Well what canna is saying that is when you first transplant you cuttings , roots are still young and and not filling the pot. This mean watering can be a every other day .. then it happes fast that those root will fill the pots and then you can water up to 5 times a day ( also canna recommendation ) .but this period is so smal compare to the whole growing period ( from seed to harvest) .
Once your plants have full control on the container coco should always keep wet so nutrients can be available for the roots to intake or else photosynthesis will slow. And sometimes close to stopping . The more it’s dry the slower photosynthesis will be resulting in smaller buds means less joy , fun , and $$

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That's part of the point, doesn't matter what the thought process is, more than enough info out there that Cannabis still likes more dry times than wet.

The few growers i know personally with coco use 3 gallon pots and hand water once a day. One uses earth juice. Treats it like a potting soil grow. Works great.

but @Aqua Man has some serious fast growth in his system.

Fudge

Fudge

That's part of the point, doesn't matter what the thought process is, more than enough info out there that Cannabis still likes more dry times than wet.

Do you water like that through the entire cycle? Also even in the "dry" periods you have what is RH? Just wondering if it stays high in the 80s/90s and if that has any bearing on why it works.
I'm not picking just trying to learn so like to know as much as poss from each method/pov I find

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I just find it interesting that you are fertigating coco coir more than I do my aeroponics NFT systems with 15 minute sprays 4 times a day. So my roots hang in air for 23 hours out of a 24 hour day ?
So it an aeroponic NFT combination? If so thats a different case than just aeroponics 4 times a day which i have never ever heard of nor think would be doable on its own without NFT

There are alot more factors i think you may have missed. Its combination of HOW much and HOW often... not simply 10x a day. In my hydro my plants would be drinking over a gal a day each. In this coco they are drinking 250ml x 10 which is 2.5 litres. Environment, especially temps, transpiration rates and growth affect uptake. Im not sure why that seems like to much? I would say its quite normal for a plant to drink that much wouldn't you?

If i fed these gals 4 times a day they would be bone dry and I would have a much less stable rootzone. Nutrients don't concentrate in air but they sure do in coco if not rinsed through to an extent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom