HOW TO WATER COCO FOR BEST RESULTS.

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla666

Tesla666

@Aqua Man or any others that monitor their saturation levels so diligently. I'm guessing that your making educated estimations but I thought it worth asking if anyone is using a legit moisture probe? In my limited research all I'm finding are the cheesy toy style dials or electronic units that measure 0-50% (which my eyeballs work just fine for). Thanks
It's easy and to do with Arduino and aliexpress sensores, Also automate watering. I Will show My new Arduino setup.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Aqua Man or any others that monitor their saturation levels so diligently. I'm guessing that your making educated estimations but I thought it worth asking if anyone is using a legit moisture probe? In my limited research all I'm finding are the cheesy toy style dials or electronic units that measure 0-50% (which my eyeballs work just fine for). Thanks
Nope but if your adding in my case 250ml of nutrient solution to a 1 gal pot and getting 20% of that as runoff then its taking 200ml to reach 100% saturation which i am certain will be 90%+ saturation level.

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

About 1/3 of my coco transplants look like these

20210203 201800

And in some older plants who are 1 week from flip.

20210203 202117

Top pic looks like too much epsom salt and bottom looks like it needs more.

Both got 1 gram per gal.

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

Classic cal-mag problems with too intense of lighting for them. What temps are you running your room at ?

Oh I don't have em real hot. Around 78 in the day and 68 at night.

Last time I watered them I used a good bit more of Cal Mag. 8 ml per gal lol
Day later still same but too early to tell if it made a difference still sad plants.

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

this looks like overwatering. Cold damp roots?

Thought so too but heat is on 72 and I have these in a tent all sealed up with 320 watts of Cob 30 inches above em got other tents exact same condition and they are growing well.

I'm still a rook in coco.

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

One thing I did not do with this coco.. this is mothers earth coco in a bag with perlite and I did not flush this like I did all my bricks I got. Its still same coco as what my other transplants got and are thriving so far.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thought so too but heat is on 72 and I have these in a tent all sealed up with 320 watts of Cob 30 inches above em got other tents exact same condition and they are growing well.

I'm still a rook in coco.

overwatering is watering too often before the roots are strong and big enough to handle it. Add in a bunch of cal mag or epsom salts and the plant cant uptake and just droops and yellows. It compounds the problem.

i have 2 plants that look like that at the moment. Tops ribbed and droopy and low leaves yellowed and mag striped. I overwatered and over fed them carelessly. They are in peat and a lot of perlite. Maybe its different?

3 balls

3 balls

@Greenthumbskunk Take a look at your roots. The 1/3rd that are struggling are going to have very different looking roots. This whole watering coco for best results needs to be matched with an environment that's dialed in for best results as well. If the plant cant utilize that that much water you will end up with sorry looking, slow growing plants setting in a pot of rotted mush.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Yup. Overwater/lockout issues. Mimed on this one. I used to overwater clones, takes a while for roots to spread to the point of normal coco watering.
Mr.G

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

@Greenthumbskunk Take a look at your roots. The 1/3rd that are struggling are going to have very different looking roots. This whole watering coco for best results needs to be matched with an environment that's dialed in for best results as well. If the plant cant utilize that that much water you will end up with sorry looking, slow growing plants setting in a pot of rotted mush.

You are right i think. This plant has been drying out a week now and is starting to recover but same thing. Medium doesnt matter. Soggy salty roots do this every time. And all you can do is wait and hope.

0650D00C 9AD4 4C82 A0AE 72DD4C50D8B2

hope this helps.

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

overwatering is watering too often before the roots are strong and big enough to handle it. Add in a bunch of cal mag or epsom salts and the plant cant uptake and just droops and yellows. It compounds the problem.

i have 2 plants that look like that at the moment. Tops ribbed and droopy and low leaves yellowed and mag striped. I overwatered and over fed them carelessly. They are in peat and a lot of perlite. Maybe its different?

I thought in coco you can't overwater them and to water everyday?

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
lots of lower airflow really helps, I love Fans!!! 6 fans in my 8x4.
Mr. G

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

That certainly does get repeated a lot.🤣

Ya that was the purpose of watering them even though they looked like they didn't need watering. You know get oxygen down to the roots, read it all the time to water, water ,water.

Guess I'll let them dry out for a few days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom