• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

im thinking the head pressure,as it goes down the hose it is reduced
330 gph from pump 270/10 ft 198/20ft 114/30ft 60/35ft of gallons per hour,so it falls off pretty quick with stretch of hose or piping
from what i understand if i go to 1/2 hp pump it will suck the hose in so it will need a reducer,im wondering if it would have any issues with a pvc pipe,which ever way i need something in between ,i know nothing about all this hahahah,i do have a 250 gal tank sitting idea that i could fill with nutrients ,but gravity feed would take all day to water a 3ft x12 ft raised bed,ive tried that and not gonna cut it haahah
It's all in the pipe size imo 1/2 probably need a pump to get the flow rate needed. Going with the biggest diameter for as far as you can will increase the flow rate of any gravity fed system as long as it's a slight decline. This is because the weight of the water is what build pressure so the fuller the tank and talle it is the more pressure is creates. Larger pipe in gravity fed the more water and that means more pressure as well as more flow.

Water is aboit 8.33 lbs per gal so the higher you make your water source and larger the pipe the better.

Could run ridged PVC like 2" and then connect a smaller hose/wand near the target area. Any corners will slow flow so I suggest 2 45 angles when possible over a 90.

Head pressure builds much faster at level or incline. So keeping the piping on a decline is important.... even a small decline.

Also pump placement is important. Have it feed the pump from the bottom of the water supply. This will take advantage of gravites pressure on water and help the pump push instead of work against it.

You will need a shut off as with most pumps this can create a siphon

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@oldskol4evr each 1/16 hole is going to be about 6-7gph. So if you have more that 50 or so that could be a problem. That's if you can eliminate all of the head pressure using gravity to help.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well I do bucket checks that's a biggg bonus so when u give a fresh bath lift the bucket feel so u no what it is when wet to well feel day after usuay coco likes to stay wet not floating wet Soo max 2 day without I go every other till shes swiing more
Coco does stay floating wet. Unless you don't have drainage holes in a plastic pot?

I'm not quite sure what a bucket bath is?

pdasterly

pdasterly

Got my setup finished today, not too happy with the emitters. I got the floraflex matrix circular drip emitters. I'm only watering 105ml at a time so my concern is, am I getting enough water to the edge of the 1 gallon pot? I plan on watering 4 times a day for 9 seconds (105ml.) I don't want my roots to stay in the center of the pot, you think I should get different emitters or stick with this setup?

View attachment 1101319
i have these but only use 1 hose on them, i found that the 2nd hose side restricts flow, i believe from poor manufacturing process. Open one up and take a look, they just snap together

Bbonez

Bbonez

i have these but only use 1 hose on them, i found that the 2nd hose side restricts flow, i believe from poor manufacturing process. Open one up and take a look, they just snap together

My pump is pretty strong, I think it would shoot water out the open side. Do you plug one side?

Pondracer

Pondracer

I run the 924 version of this, with a 3/4 flexible but stiff hose on the feed side. Then I split the outlet side to have a feedback loop to the reservoir with a valve that I can open up to relieve pressure so I don't blast coco all over the tent walls :)

3 balls

3 balls

There's a turd in the punch bowl.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

There's a turd in the punch bowl.

Imo this is taking soil ideology and using it in coco. I mean give it a go but to me that not crop steering that just plain old watering like this thread. I guess by definition it's all crop steering but I see crop steering as using different plants stresses to manipulate plant responses.

I have seen many ppl do this and many start having issues in early mid flower with build ups and lockouts.

Imo if your going to treat coco like soil just grow in soil. Does it work though... yes it can.... will growth be as fast... nope

Anthem

Anthem

Aqua Man there is a paid consult doing business in the Socal area that some of these guys are trying to figure out his methods from what I can tell. He offers a whole software system for large (legal) grows. He is promoting crop steering with dry backs and drought stressing the plants and all. I think for the most part this is just guys trying to figure out the system without paying for his software. I spoke with a person slightly familiar with the process and he was stating the results are really good but again this is just word of mouth. However, the science makes sense.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Aqua Man there is a paid consult doing business in the Socal area that some of these guys are trying to figure out his methods from what I can tell. He offers a whole software system for large (legal) grows. He is promoting crop steering with dry backs and drought stressing the plants and all. I think for the most part this is just guys trying to figure out the system without paying for his software. I spoke with a person slightly familiar with the process and he was stating the results are really good but again this is just word of mouth. However, the science makes sense.
I can see dry back at certain times to create stress... but a constant isn't crop steering imo. Something like a defoliation with cold temps and large dry back for a period of time is what I would consider crop steering. And yes used properly will improve results.

Anthem

Anthem

I can see dry back at certain times to create stress... but a constant isn't crop steering imo. Something like a defoliation with cold temps and large dry back for a period of time is what I would consider crop steering. And yes used properly will improve results.

I am sure there is much more involved but some of the challenges associated with plant steering are not achievable with a home grow in a tent. The control these guys have over every aspect of the grow are just not available to the person growing at home in a tent or a room.
I find it surprising how just about the time I think I have solved all the problems with a grow I learn something new. I use to think nutrients were the key to growing top quality cannabis. Presently, I no longer have that opinion as the formulas for NPK and trace nutrients are near the same for many years. Yes you can add some tria and improve the yield, but other than that most all of the addons are just snake oil. Today I am leaning more towards environment that nutrients. There are some people on this site that have had really good results from just botanicare pure blend and cal mag. The environment is what I am trying to get more dialed in every day. I can only imagine the large legal guys have a pretty well formulated program for temperature, humidity and light PPFD. That changes thru out the flowering process.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I am sure there is much more involved but some of the challenges associated with plant steering are not achievable with a home grow in a tent. The control these guys have over every aspect of the grow are just not available to the person growing at home in a tent or a room.
I find it surprising how just about the time I think I have solved all the problems with a grow I learn something new. I use to think nutrients were the key to growing top quality cannabis. Presently, I no longer have that opinion as the formulas for NPK and trace nutrients are near the same for many years. Yes you can add some tria and improve the yield, but other than that most all of the addons are just snake oil. Today I am leaning more towards environment that nutrients. There are some people on this site that have had really good results from just botanicare pure blend and cal mag. The environment is what I am trying to get more dialed in every day. I can only imagine the large legal guys have a pretty well formulated program for temperature, humidity and light PPFD. That changes thru out the flowering process.
Absolutely brother. I couldn't agree more.

m8ty

m8ty

Dang this thread 🧵 is long! I thought it's the roots that get over watered causing the plants to grow like over watered plants?🤣

goofy81

goofy81

Dang this thread 🧵 is long! I thought it's the roots that get over watered causing the plants to grow like over watered plants?🤣
Almost forgot,
Can't be posting up info without showing you my roots.
I'm using 7 gallon pots.
When it was white it was in 1st week 12/12 (last 2 pics)
First two photos are in 5th week of 12/12 and a bit stained from a certain additive.
I only feed once a day with dryback during veg, and switch to 6 feeds a day during flower to achieve this.

IMG 20210712 221323
IMG 20210712 221605
IMG 20210704 202210
IMG 20210626 220608
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Almost forgot,
Can't be posting up info without showing you my roots.
I'm using 7 gallon pots.
When it was white it was in 1st week 12/12 (last 2 pics)
First two photos are in 5th week of 12/12 and a bit stained from a certain additive.
I only feed once a day with dryback during veg, and switch to 6 feeds a day during flower to achieve this.
No dry backs... roots at flip from a male I pitched in 1 gal start to finish.

Feeding once a day in 7 gal pots is not going to give dry backs in the least.

High fertigation is not meant for large pots it's a totally different concept.

How much a day are you giving them in a 7 gal pot? And are you getting runoff?

20201201 134953
goofy81

goofy81

If you look at my graph posted earlier, you can see exactly what my plants are taking in. In flower I keep it topped mainly to maintain ec. My plants are big! The plant size determines how much they need regardless of pot size I notice.
I ran 13 gallon pots with total room yield in the 20s and my 240L res runs out in about 2-3days.

After going half the pot size with the same number of plants. I was thinking I'd use a lot less nutes. Boy was I wrong. It's a little less, but like still 2.5-3 days for my tank to finish.

No dry backs... roots at flip from a male I pitched in 1 gal start to finish.

Feeding once a day in 7 gal pots is not going to give dry backs in the least.

High fertigation is not meant for large pots it's a totally different concept.

How much a day are you giving them in a 7 gal pot? And are you getting runoff?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If you look at my graph posted earlier, you can see exactly what my plants are taking in. In flower I keep it topped mainly to maintain ec. My plants are big! The plant size determines how much they need regardless of pot size I notice.
I ran 13 gallon pots with total room yield in the 20s and my 240L res runs out in about 2-3days.

After going half the pot size with the same number of plants. I was thinking I'd use a lot less nutes. Boy was I wrong. It's a little less, but like still 2.5-3 days for my tank to finish.
So they are losing about 0.5lb a day correct?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So coco is 7.8 lb for about 20litres. A 7gal pot is about 26 litres. So say about 8lb of coco for a 7 gal pot. The rest is water weight.

So at 100% saturation looks like you about 34 lb? In veg. So 26lb of water.... water is 8.33lb per gal so it's holding just over 3 gal of water.

Now look at the so called dry back. Less than 3 lb at the most.

A 10% dry back... mean a 90% saturation would be a loss of 2.6lb. So you drying back to only about 90%.

See what I'm saying here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom