Hows The Weather In Your Neck O The Woods?? And What Are You Doing Today???

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
MWhat a day in the high country desert

GreenHouser

GreenHouser

USA USA USA !!! MY backpack'n an fish trip food arrived, (no I'm not a zombie apocalypse worrier) It's a blistering 58 F today!!

WP 20160524 15 55 20 Pro
scoop

scoop

Rain today? Snow up high? That'd be something new. Ah...to plant or not to plant....that is the question.

Privacy fences arrived yesterday. It looks like a tennis court out there now...LOL. Pretty good quality for the cash. A few grommets missing here/there....and possibly "seconds"....but @ $40 for a 6 ft tall x 50 long screen I can't complain. I'm sure it will cause the neighbors to rubberneck even harder to see what I'm up to... at least until the smell starts whafting out...so yeah...money well spent. LOL.

The BIG girls are definitely ready for the sunshine. Almost time to see if my smart-pot-in-a-regular pot transplant method is gonna be a success. Gotta be easier than trying to go from smartie to smartie. We will see....

Along with the weed...I have 6 kinds of heirloom tomatoes in wait....2 kinds of squash....watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, more brocolli...and a bevy of flowers to transplant. Everything else is poppin from seed. I've had the starts sitting under a tree for a few days now so they should be hardened off well for transplant.

75% of what we're eating at present is from the dome. I ate my first meal "out" in many, many, months last night....and really fell off the vegetarian wagon 'cus it was fried chicken. There was some slaw though... LOL.
Never thought I'd go all-out veggie-one on the diet side of things but I'm enjoying the shit out of the veggies and fruits like never before and don't miss the club and grub whatsoever. I certainly FEEL better...that's for sure.

This gardenin' shit is sure alot of work........ but a lot of fun as well. (us old folks are easily entertained)

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Rain today? Snow up high? That'd be something new. Ah...to plant or not to plant....that is the question.

Privacy fences arrived yesterday. It looks like a tennis court out there now...LOL. Pretty good quality for the cash. A few grommets missing here/there....and possibly "seconds"....but @ $40 for a 6 ft tall x 50 long screen I can't complain. I'm sure it will cause the neighbors to rubberneck even harder to see what I'm up to... at least until the smell starts whafting out...so yeah...money well spent. LOL.

The BIG girls are definitely ready for the sunshine. Almost time to see if my smart-pot-in-a-regular pot transplant method is gonna be a success. Gotta be easier than trying to go from smartie to smartie. We will see....

Along with the weed...I have 6 kinds of heirloom tomatoes in wait....2 kinds of squash....watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, more brocolli...and a bevy of flowers to transplant. Everything else is poppin from seed. I've had the starts sitting under a tree for a few days now so they should be hardened off well for transplant.

75% of what we're eating at present is from the dome. I ate my first meal "out" in many, many, months last night....and really fell off the vegetarian wagon 'cus it was fried chicken. There was some slaw though... LOL.
Never thought I'd go all-out veggie-one on the diet side of things but I'm enjoying the shit out of the veggies and fruits like never before and don't miss the club and grub whatsoever. I certainly FEEL better...that's for sure.

This gardenin' shit is sure alot of work........ but a lot of fun as well. (us old folks are easily entertained)
Nice..were crazy busy, chicks got 450 in brooders, garden is going in, 25 heirlooms tomato planted yesterday river running to high to fish so it's get it done..
Got 4 5 gallon buckets of eggs to wash and box, milk goats, crazy busy but Wow just wow have we got it made compared to living for the city...

scoop

scoop

You'd freak at the difference in the creek flow now from when you were here.

That's a lot of chickens. I'd be completely lost. LOL. We found a CSA here we are thinking of joining. They do chickens/ducks...both eggs and meat....and some goat stuff as well. (we're interested in the eggs) Sounds a lot like what you guys have going on. They do a weekly potluck and it's tonight...so of it isn't pouring rain we are gonna head over and check out their operation. Eggs are gonna run right around $5 a dozen. A bit pricey but the market isn't cheap and you don't know WTF is in 'em. In the end...it's only money! LOL.

Hopin to get a hook through them on a local dairy farmer. I'm jonesin' it for some real milk and that thick-ass cream shit like you dropped on me that time.... ;-)

GreenHouser

GreenHouser

I woke up with a fever, an the only cure is more cow bell ! FREEZE WARNINGS ALL REMOVED !!! USA USA USA , peeled the plastic off the rest of garden. What doesn't make it now will just not be grown. Man u guys are all some land workin farmers. I love it, wish I just had my own, worked my own, ate my own. My climate alone kills that. Kiddos are excited for the strawberries, cant lie I am to. I did a few blue potatoes this year, should be interesting. I envy your choice in vegetarian. I tried once an couldn't hack it. Lined the hoophouse with some deer net. Creates a gap away from plastic in case of any moisture. I think I'vedecided to make my own cages put of cattle fence. Couple of tac welds an done. Anyone ever use or see something like that? Keep it up with the farm info. I like comparing to what's up here in this northern exposure. Try not to laugh at the garden. Best I can with what I got to work with. Small scale.

WP 20160526 09 14 08 Pro
WP 20160526 09 13 08 Pro
xavier7995

xavier7995

Man I need to get back into a house with a yard. Growing weed is great fun and all, but I sure miss having an actual garden. Not even a big vegetable fan, I just like growing stuff, it is as relaxing as smoking.

GreenHouser

GreenHouser

PREACH!!!!! SAME HERE. This was the first year I made a real consciences effort to only grow what we eat most of. I got sick of lookin for people to rid of it. I just like starting anything from seed an bring it along. I think it's a little mental thing for me. A lil voice sayin ha ha "F" you, I did it. It's a little more of a challenge with the cold aspect to. Enjoyable accomplishments!

scoop

scoop

No laughing here. I call that "respectable". Just the fact you got out there and made a stab at it garners respect here. so many folks bitch about the cost of food but have NO idea how much work it is to produce QUALITY produce. So many folks don't even try......

We know cold here as well. Such is why we built a dome GH last fall. We are just now thinking about planting outside and we could still have frost/etc. if a cold front drops by. Definitely warmer this season than last year (and drier).....but no guarantees, for sure. It's nice to have relatively accurate forecasting via intellicast/wunderground. A huge help...and fairly close forecasts to what eventually seems to happen.

All I grew for 20+ years was weed.....so the cabbages and broccoli and all the other stuff is a fairly new adventure. Never grown in a GH before either.....not to mention doing it in "year round" mode.....especially here @ 7000 ft in the Rockies. It definitely keeps me busy. Additionally...it's nice to be out of the commercial aspect of growing what everyone else wants in the weed garden and back to focusing on it all for my own use. Can you say bubble hash? heehee.... We are simply gonna kill it this year. Fuck plant counts. We need hash.... ;-)

scoop

scoop

@ cur dog.... Ebay, bro. Came in 2 days..... you can get 4, 5, 6 or 8 ft tall screens.

GreenHouser

GreenHouser

No laughing here. I call that "respectable". Just the fact you got out there and made a stab at it garners respect here. so many folks bitch about the cost of food but have NO idea how much work it is to produce QUALITY produce. So many folks don't even try......

We know cold here as well. Such is why we built a dome GH last fall. We are just now thinking about planting outside and we could still have frost/etc. if a cold front drops by. Definitely warmer this season than last year (and drier).....but no guarantees, for sure. It's nice to have relatively accurate forecasting via intellicast/wunderground. A huge help...and fairly close forecasts to what eventually seems to happen.

All I grew for 20+ years was weed.....so the cabbages and broccoli and all the other stuff is a fairly new adventure. Never grown in a GH before either.....not to mention doing it in "year round" mode.....especially here @ 7000 ft in the Rockies. It definitely keeps me busy. Additionally...it's nice to be out of the commercial aspect of growing what everyone else wants in the weed garden and back to focusing on it all for my own use. Can you say bubble hash? heehee.... We are simply gonna kill it this year. Fuck plant counts. We need hash.... ;-)
I don't have a greenhouse, but this is my first year an run with the hoophouse. It's both fun an frustrating. I didn't know what to expect, heat, humidity, etc. So its like takin care of a newborn. I've learned a lot so far. An chickman been a god sent with help an advice. My biggest battle has been humidity. But I can say I won't grow outside of one again. It's like having a grow tent with a big block 454 in it. Love it. Good luck with yours an thanks.

scoop

scoop

i put a dehuey in my dome and it took care of the excess moisture big time........at one point it was raining in there...LOL.

but yeah...a GH is a full-time event. I've dealt with mites on weed for years (nuke them bitches) but these aphids...and being all organic on the food side is a different story/perpetual battle. Lotsa neem and Dr. Bronners...and time.

CM is a wealth o' knowledge. Good tap. Best of luck

GreenHouser

GreenHouser

I thought I was gonna have to get a dehumidifier but after I installed a big ass fan it went away. I'm the opposite, I HAD to get a humidifier. From the hours of 11am till 4 ish my humidity plummets. It's steady now but things were gettin a bit crispy with out it. Thanks

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Did you hear about the vegan couple who wanted to show that vegans can do things non-vegans can do, so they tried to climb mount everest, the wife died. It would appear the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Someone make a horatio cane sunglasses joke.

H

Hookup

Wow what a trip,never thought being a vegan would make you more susceptible to altitude issues.My daughter is vegan and has hiked plenty of the higher western peaks along with most of the entire pacific crest trail from mexico to washington with no issues but everest is a whole different world,sad story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom