HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HBZfarms

If an HLG Scorpion Diablo fits in both your price range and grow area, you won't be disappointed. It's only negative is it's price tag. Over-priced? Not really ... it's similarly priced to other top of the line LED grow light fixtures. Another brand to consider is Lumatek-EU/Photontek-USA. Lumatek/Photontek is the same line, different brand name based on EU/USA.
I definitely looked at all the different hlg lights and will end up with one. After reading tons of reviews and product comparison I chose the spider farmer and completely happy..Can't wait to pick up the hlg lights and compare. But for now have another spider farmer headed my way

BDH420

BDH420

I agree.....now will they last forever as the old mechanical hps ballasts do. The $500 led lights from Spiderfarmer and others work and perform great even better than hps but will they last 10 - 20 years like the old reliable? 5 year? Its yet to be seen that they'll have longevity....I've had minor issues already with the 2 led lights I've had . quickly repaired but still it shows how fast things can go wrong with this new tech.........

I live in the cold north and I can use the heat off the hps 9 months of the year ...I had to buy a 1500w heater just for my flower room ....running 18hrs a day its more expensive than running the hps.......but I like the led results so I'm splurging
I agree I still run HPS I got a Sunsytem Switchable ballast 1000 watts it does both MH and HPS back in the 90s. I even got the air-cooled hood with glass shield It still works just as good today as it did back in 97. But i keep it in my quarantine room now. The electric bill running it plus everything else is just to much.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I agree I still run HPS I got a Sunsytem Switchable ballast 1000 watts it does both MH and HPS back in the 90s. I even got the air-cooled hood with glass shield It still works just as good today as it did back in 97. But i keep it in my quarantine room now. The electric bill running it plus everything else is just to much.
I've used both electronic & the old mechanical ballasts I'll be back on the mech 1000w (they're more reliable) when i get more plants to flower. I have 2 at 6.5 weeks in flower under an Se3000 after that I only have 1 ready to go with a bunch of clones and others to follow. It'll be too much for the led so I'll be back using the hps in another 6 weeks. I don't need to worry about too much heat I'm in an open room and I like the heat the ballast and tube puts out.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I definitely looked at all the different hlg lights and will end up with one. After reading tons of reviews and product comparison I chose the spider farmer and completely happy..Can't wait to pick up the hlg lights and compare. But for now have another spider farmer headed my way
I'm more than happy with my SF5000. Actually I'm happy with all my lighting from budget priced Kingbrite boards, my Spider Farmer, and my E720. There are differences but all grow great flowers.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

There is no reason to have heating issues with HPS. If you are, you need to upgrade your lighting exhaust system. I run 2 1000w HPS in a 4x8 and my temps never get above 76. My canopy starts 5ft from light, by end they are a few feet from lights. Under my canopy is 72f due to high exhaust and air movement, leaf temps 74 which is why I laugh when people say they have problems with heat. Im having issues raising room temps. If I slow my 8 inch exhaust fan down I feel my lights get too hott, the fan housing does at least. Idk, no issues with heat other than it melting one of those cheap vivosun plastic fans. With this infinity fan 0 issues and more air movement.

That said I feel I need more light lol, I want to add LED strips but dont know what route to go. Leds are to expensive for me. They all say they cover a 4x4 but hell I dont even think a 1000w HPS covers it so yea. I dont know what type of light to add even, or if I should. Might just buy some really good HPS bulbs and try that. Idk how many hours I can get off these cheap ones if were being honest. Problem solved lol. . hps ftw ;)

My hps buds were far denser and looked the same as my led grow. I think if your going to use leds, make sure you go for overkill. Id rather have too much light than not enough if were being honest. At least then you can dial it down a bit. Just doesnt seem affordable to me. For the same price as one of those HLGs that cover a 4x4 I could run 4 of these 1000w lol. . .Sure my running costs are expensive, but at least im a booming for the low. Add all that to my hydro system lol. . It needs light. I think my hydro system will unperformed with any led that says they cover a 4x4, when compared to my hids.

Not saying it cant be done, just seems like a waste of money. If anything I might upgrade and buy two 1000w ceramic HPS fixtures if they are cheap enough, which I doubt they are atm. Anyone got any info on Ceramic HPS?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
There is no reason to have heating issues with HPS. If you are, you need to upgrade your lighting exhaust system. I run 2 1000w HPS in a 4x8 and my temps never get above 76. My canopy starts 5ft from light, by end they are a few feet from lights. Under my canopy is 72f due to high exhaust and air movement, leaf temps 74 which is why I laugh when people say they have problems with heat. Im having issues raising room temps. If I slow my 8 inch exhaust fan down I feel my lights get too hott, the fan housing does at least. Idk, no issues with heat other than it melting one of those cheap vivosun plastic fans. With this infinity fan 0 issues and more air movement.

That said I feel I need more light lol, I want to add LED strips but dont know what route to go. Leds are to expensive for me. They all say they cover a 4x4 but hell I dont even think a 1000w HPS covers it so yea. I dont know what type of light to add even, or if I should. Might just buy some really good HPS bulbs and try that. Idk how many hours I can get off these cheap ones if were being honest. Problem solved lol. . hps ftw ;)

My hps buds were far denser and looked the same as my led grow. I think if your going to use leds, make sure you go for overkill. Id rather have too much light than not enough if were being honest. At least then you can dial it down a bit. Just doesnt seem affordable to me. For the same price as one of those HLGs that cover a 4x4 I could run 4 of these 1000w lol. . .Sure my running costs are expensive, but at least im a booming for the low. Add all that to my hydro system lol. . It needs light. I think my hydro system will unperformed with any led that says they cover a 4x4, when compared to my hids.

Not saying it cant be done, just seems like a waste of money. If anything I might upgrade and buy two 1000w ceramic HPS fixtures if they are cheap enough, which I doubt they are atm. Anyone got any info on Ceramic HPS?
I did a side by side comparison I had 3 sister Bubble bomb plants, all 3 the same size. I put 1 under the Se3000 through flower and the other 2 under my 1000w hps...the led grown buds were bigger harder and badder & I got more pot jarred from the 1 led grown plant than 1 hps grown. I have pics and comparison on my page's. I'm old and old school I've been sold on the led's but I'm not throwing away my hps just yet.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I regularly get a pound + from my homebuilt 300 watt LED's
DSCN0928

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I was thinking about switching back to HPS for winter, but now I know I'm not going back. HID is the backup in case something goes wrong. Buds are definitely harder under LED.

DonnainTripp

DonnainTripp

Hi All
First time on forum. Or any forum😕
Anyway I took 6 cutting from my mother plant last night and put into a bubble Cloner I made from stuff laying around.
Question is I've they survive and grow a fair amount under the 9x 18w leds I've got what light would I flower them under in 2x1 meter space in 20l buckets thinking of 1 x 600w HPS but unsure If led tech has surpassed HPS ? I have to spend money so might as well buy best option for them obviously for the largest yield
Any help appreciated
I switched from a 800 hps to an hlg 550 r spec led and two cree cobs @ 100 watts and the quality did drop a little so I switched to dwc instead of soil and the crop time made up for it and quality came back, the only thing I miss about hps is the node spacing, hps does get the ladies bushy, but cost on electric bill went from 250 a month to 125 but the cure time from soil to hydro a lot longer unfortunately cause the growth went from 5 to 6 months with hps and soil to 3 to 3 and a half months with dwc, but the only thing that's bad is the terps that creat the smell still matures as the same as soil just stay away from ac infinity lights I don't trust them if there just like there duct fans then there crap

IMG 20220412 080344
IMG 20220423 112605 1
IMG 20220412 075938
IMG 20220427 175519
IMG 20220427 173410
IMG 20220425 211851 1
IMG 20220427 173346
IMG 20220420 213301
IMG 20220423 112557
IMG 20220410 073530
IMG 20221215 171352781 HDR
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

nice. how about running hps and mh two bulbs side by side in single 5x5 growtent? (250w hps 250w mh) do they still have a place?

Last edited:
Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

2 x 250 HID would be ok for seedlings. But not in a 4 x 4 area. Thats only about 31w sq/ft.
I myself would use 2 x 250HID in a 2.85 x 2.85 area. 8.1 sq/ft.
I start seedlings with a 1000w Hortilux HPS at 24 inches. Which is 62.5w sq/ft in a 4 x 4.

Some say what I do is overkill, but Ive been doing it since they first came out with a 1000w Halide in 1977-78. The sun is more than 100w Sq/ft, so is the sun to much for seedlings?? Main thing is to have really good fresh air exchange so the plants can get enough CO2. If not, the bright light can be to much.

Will they grow in a 4 x 4 with 500w HID. Yes. Will it be optimum? No.
I would also only use 250w Hortilux HPS if you can. For the watts, it has the highest umol rating, and reliability rating of any HID. Same for the 600w, and the 1000w. Ushio may have a higher umol rating, but from what Ive seen is not as reliable.

A 400w HID is good for a 6 sq/ft. 2 of them is good for 12 sq/ft.

A 400w is good for 6 sq/ft.

So you have the problem of the lights casting a small foot print. Really 2 x 600w is best in a 6 x 3 area.

Last edited:
Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Ran out of time to edit.

Id use 2 x 250s in a 2.45 x 2.45 area.

And 2 x 400w in a 2.8 x 4.3 area.

Id use 2 x 600w in a 3 x 6 area.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Ran out of time to edit.

Id use 2 x 250s in a 2.45 x 2.45 area.

And 2 x 400w in a 2.8 x 4.3 area.

Id use 2 x 600w in a 3 x 6 area.
would you run 2 hps or hps and mh over 5x5 area specifically for autoflowers?
*dual 600w

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
It's so interesting to read the development of this thread........since 2019. In just 5+ years the quality of LEDs has improved dramatically. We've definitely crossed the line over to LEDs (the right ones) being the clear better choice. (I still need to figure out the UVA/B thing but that's for a different thread ;) ).

I just got an HLG Scorpion Diablo and their latest Rspec. My space is 6' x 12'. I have a separate seedling area / box I built with regular lower level grow bulbs but certainly enough output for seedlings. The Diablo will be for most of the veg cycles, then the Rspec added for flowering. The lights even have dimmer switches. With remote access/wifi......it's astounding how far we've come. But there's no need for me to use these 2 lights at full power until they need it.

They're not the only good company, I hear good things about Cali lightworks and a couple of others, but my experience with HLG has been excellent. US company, good people, helpful......and I know cost can be a thing, but you have to look at it as an investment that will pay off, literally save.you on electricity, cooling (over HIDs), and now the good ones can give bigger yields per sq/ft depending on the space.......also, regarding cost, there's that price you see, and there's 20% or more off with coupon codes. ;). And sales......

Everyone needs to take some time to sit down and learn about light, spectrum, output, the various ways it's measured........it's more about how much useable light energy at the right spectrum is being delivered and can be used by the plant......in a certain amount of time. You don't have to become an electritian or scientist, but once you get the different terms/acronyms.......ppf, umol, etc....there aren't that many, but just understanding the basics, then you can easily compare various lights (and avoid the ones that don't reveal the key metrics/specs), and make your choice. But try not to save $400 by going with a lower quality company, and probably light.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

The correct lighting guide for HID's

400 watt for a 3x3
600 watts for a 4x4
1000 watts for a 5x5

600 watts in a 4x4 equaled 28 ounce of dry buds
DSCN0669

Top Bottom