Hps Vs Cmh Vs Led

• Thread starter heisen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DGP

DGP

Square wave ballast.i think it's different than other digital ballast.

Magnetic ones are definitely noisy. However, most of the digital ones are as well and they often put regulatory agency approvals on them even if they didn't f'ing pass the tests. One of the few I have tested that are acceptably clean are Galaxy. I used a spectrum analyzer and looked at a bunch of different ballasts and that Galaxy was it.

Dee

JMcG

JMcG

When I was into DWC I found that UC Roots worked well to keep this roots pearly white. Still have a full gallon of it. PM me if anyone wants it.

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

Cmh bulbs are the best...only serious downfall is DO NOT BE IN THE ROOM WHEN THEY'RE ON! DON'T BE A DUMBASS!!!
They emit uva uvb light more than hids or led...closest thing to natural sun light!
50 to 60% less heat and brighter light, much brighter!
Lower energy costs...means they pay for themselves...lol....STAY OUT OF THE ROOM WHEN LIGHTS ARE ON...

Toaster79

Toaster79

Cmh bulbs are the best...only serious downfall is DO NOT BE IN THE ROOM WHEN THEY'RE ON! DON'T BE A DUMBASS!!!
They emit uva uvb light more than hids or led...closest thing to natural sun light!
Lower energy costs...means they pay for themselves...lol....STAY OUT OF THE ROOM WHEN LIGHTS ARE ON...

First of all stop yelling!

And regarding CMH bulbs, there are different out there on the market. Some have double jacket so they have UV filtered through the second glass.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Just curious what brand of LED light did you use to compare to CMH and come up with the conclusion that CMH is the best?

How do you get any work done in the garden if you cant be in there when the cmh lights are on?

P

PharmHand

The 3100k Philips cmh bulbs put out less uv than regular mh and HPS. The 4200k bulbs put out more uv than regular HPS but not nearly as much as most regular mh. All of the above bulbs put out FAR less than the sun..... So if you’re not concerned about covering up walking outside on a sunny day why would you be concerned about being in your grow room? Y’all are doing exactly what these manufacturers want perpetuating incorrect info playing to their marketing gimmicks. They don’t put out more uv, they just don’t. They absolutely could but uv being dangerous is INTENTIONALLY filtered out by the glass they use in the jacket allowing only a small amount through. Growers choice has a new bulb out that claims to put out more uv but I haven’t seen any independent analysis done on their bulbs

And btw this study was done by the Utah state university and cycloptics sells cmh so reporting low amounts of uv would hurt them ,if anything. Stoner myths........

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

The 3100k Philips cmh bulbs put out less uv than regular mh and HPS. The 4200k bulbs put out more uv than regular HPS but not nearly as much as most regular mh. All of the above bulbs put out FAR less than the sun..... So if you’re not concerned about covering up walking outside on a sunny day why would you be concerned about being in your grow room? Y’all are doing exactly what these manufacturers want perpetuating incorrect info playing to their marketing gimmicks. They don’t put out more uv, they just don’t. They absolutely could but uv being dangerous is INTENTIONALLY filtered out by the glass they use in the jacket allowing only a small amount through. Growers choice has a new bulb out that claims to put out more uv but I haven’t seen any independent analysis done on their bulbs
https://www.cycloptics.com/sites/default/files/GB 315W CMH Spectrum.pdf
And btw this study was done by the Utah state university and cycloptics sells cmh so reporting low amounts of uv would hurt them ,if anything. Stoner myths........

Filters only allowing a small amount through...thats bs...plants need uva uvb if only a little gets through what light are the plants utilizing then? Invisible light? you just said "claims to put out"..lol...i need more independent lighting studies...im not buying into hype! Fuck that...i get your point about the spectrum...why would anyone covering up from tbe sun, with common sense in mind, be worried about the suns uv rays? Unless you have the money for clothes that block uv rays....lol...i said closest to natural sunlight. The maximum yield article in the link i posted is claiming that from its color rendering index.
That article only compares 2 phillips cmh lights...need a more wider comparison of many different cmh lights.

https://www.maximumyield.com/your-guide-to-ceramic-metal-halide-grow-lights/2/1462
Uni studies aren't always correct when it comes to products....do you know for sure 100% this uni hasn't invested in this technology? Do you they own part of this business?

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

Just curious what brand of LED light did you use to compare to CMH and come up with the conclusion that CMH is the best?

How do you get any work done in the garden if you cant be in there when the cmh lights are on?
Green light when lights are off.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4048233/#!po=13.8889
Read that study....haven't yet...cmh lights spread light across the canopy more effeicently than led lights...i read that somewhere a while back.

Dr bruce bugbee did that study at university of utah,he is probably the most pre eminent indoor crop lighting scientist in the US.

In that study the lights were specifically designed for said researchers study...are consumers getting the exact same ones? If not how different are they? If they cant sell enough to make the profit margin they need, because the price point at retail would be to high, they most likely would adjust design to lower the price point.
Take a gander at the study up above in this post and the one pharmhand posted....i am going to right now!

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Magnetic ones are definitely noisy. However, most of the digital ones are as well and they often put regulatory agency approvals on them even if they didn't f'ing pass the tests. One of the few I have tested that are acceptably clean are Galaxy. I used a spectrum analyzer and looked at a bunch of different ballasts and that Galaxy was it.

Dee
Magnetics are noisy.. But run FOREVER its like the old carbed truck you can buy part at auto zone for it... Vs the new crap with 11 computers hahaha

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

https://www.cycloptics.com/sites/default/files/GB 315W CMH Spectrum.pdf

Cmh run low frequency ballasts right?
Gravita runs high freq?
Which of these are going to have the cable company or cops knocking at my door?
I know a radio set to am and put next to the eballast will tell you. If it distorts the radio then they will know you are running a leaky high freq ballast. Lol...im not going into the shop with a handheld radio set to am and walk around and check..no good!

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Cmh run low frequency ballasts right?
Gravita runs high freq?
Which of these are going to have the cable company or cops knocking at my door?
I know a radio set to am and put next to the eballast will tell you. If it distorts the radio then they will know you are running a leaky high freq ballast. Lol...im not going into the shop with a handheld radio set to am and walk around and check..no good!
I wouldn’t pick my lights on weather the popo are going to show up, just my .02 ..
where do I get a handheld am radio? lol

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

I wouldn’t pick my lights on weather the popo are going to show up, just my .02 ..
where do I get a handheld am radio? lol

I have been face palmed here, twice...lmfao!
Face palm!
A battery powered one...doh! Coulda had a V8
I am sure a lot of people on here are and shud be worried about the "popos"
Even if you are "legal" sheriffs can still assist the feds...don't believe the legalized bullshit hype!
It is legal for reason, im sure the future will tell

Last edited:
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I have been face palmed here, twice...lmfao!
Face palm!
A battery powered one...doh! Coulda had a V8
I am sure a lot of people on here are and shud be worried about the "popos"
Even if you are "legal" sheriffs can still assist the feds...don't believe the legalized bullshit hype!
It is legal for reason, im sure the future will tell
I’m in Colorado and it’s not legal, it’s regulated. So please stop fooling yourselves guys. This is what all the “we want the tax dollar”people wanted.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I’m in Colorado and it’s not legal, it’s regulated. So please stop fooling yourselves guys. This is what all the “we want the tax dollar”people wanted.

You have to take into consideration this frendlyguy also thinks that pinching the stem on a plant to slow growth down and topping a plant are the same thing, and pinching will kill the growth tip above it because he read it on the internet somewhere... triple face palm!!! Lol!
My 285 watt quantum board led fixture beats my 315 cmh in every way hands down including canopy coverage, but he read on the internet somewhere that cmh was better... the link to the study he posted is a few yrs old also.

Last edited:
H

heisen

Well they are flowering it up pretty good right now.
Plants under the hps are running around 980 ppm
And plants under the cobs and cmh are running around 740 ppm.slight calcium deficiency right under the HPS below the bulbs so I upped to 7ml per gallon.
Under the cobs and cmh is around 5ml per gal.
One thing for sure the plants under 5he cobs look more full.more side growth.
Will be a very close comparison.the next run will be 1500w cobs vs 2 nanolux 1000w cmh.
20180517 213754

Latest posts

Top Bottom