Humidity Controller

• Thread starter Aloha4dayz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Couldn't agree more and I'm a huge believer in VPD.

There is no doubt in a sealed room when you've got full control and the plants are juiced up in a hydroponic setting, VPD is 100% a thing you can and should use. But even then there is going to be a bit of up and down variation. In a ventilated grow, youd just be chasing you're tail for no reason. As long as it's not in the extremes a 10%+/- range is perfectly fine if it's in or near the goldilocks zone.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

There is no doubt in a sealed room when you've got full control and the plants are juiced up in a hydroponic setting, VPD is 100% a thing you can and should use. But even then there is going to be a bit of up and down variation. In a ventilated grow, youd just be chasing you're tail for no reason. As long as it's not in the extremes a 10%+/- range is perfectly fine if it's in or near the goldilocks zone.
100% agree

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Quick question on the topic of environment controllers. I also used to use inkbirds and loved them but I notice that it just shuts off power to the outlet once it hits the setpoint. So if my dehu doesn't have analog switches, it'll just turn off for good. Does anyone know of any controllers that don't do this? Do they even exist lol. @Aqua Man @Dirtbag

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

Sacred Tree Organic Farms
Supporter
Been using em for many years now. Good budget option only ever had one issue and that was a brand new one. For the price buy 2 and keep a backup if your worried but I have no issue recommending them. If you can afford something top of the line go for it. If middle of the road I would just go budget
Hahah Aqua is my guy... I use these too and they are pretty reliable. Would recom Using its long humidity gauge cord to keep in the plants canopy for the most accuracy.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Not sure.. I set my top end humidity right on the dehu itself, it doesnt need an overriding controller usually. What i would use the controller for is turning a humidifyer on and off.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hahah Aqua is my guy... I use these too and they are pretty reliable. Would recom Using its long humidity gauge cord to keep in the plants canopy for the most accuracy.
I hang mine canopy height in thw middle of the room but I have great airflow. Doesn't matter where ya hang it if one of 2 things... you have good air or you have shit airflow. If you have good air movement and mixing it will be plenty good enough.... and if ya don't its will be shit anywhere.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Not sure.. I set my top end humidity right on the dehu itself, it doesnt need an overriding controller usually. What i would use the controller for is turning a humidifyer on and off.
Got it, I guess I got trust issues with the controller on the dehu itself haha. Thanks for the reply, I just read thru the rockwool thread you did last year, good stuff! Did you ever do a second run in RW? Also, what syringe were you using to take ph/ec readings? I cant find any that penetrate into the middle of the cube. Thanks for the reply

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Got it, I guess I got trust issues with the controller on the dehu itself haha. Thanks for the reply, I just read thru the rockwool thread you did last year, good stuff! Did you ever do a second run in RW? Also, what syringe were you using to take ph/ec readings? I cant find any that penetrate into the middle of the cube. Thanks for the reply

I wasnt penetrating to the middle, i just used a medicine syringe pressed up against the side of the block.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

I hang mine canopy height in thw middle of the room but I have great airflow. Doesn't matter where ya hang it if one of 2 things... you have good air or you have shit airflow. If you have good air movement and mixing it will be plenty good enough.... and if ya don't its will be shit anywhere.
Hey Aqua Man with the inkbird humidity controllers you mentioned in your VPD post you would ideally control humidity levels between lights on and lights off. Would you mind sharing your set up on how you achieve this while using inkbirds? It's a small concern but I would love to not have to set it every night and just let it do it's thing. Also what ultrasonic humidifier are you using that will continue turning on and off via the inkbird controller. Mine currently will shut off for good if it ever goes past the set point.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey Aqua Man with the inkbird humidity controllers you mentioned in your VPD post you would ideally control humidity levels between lights on and lights off. Would you mind sharing your set up on how you achieve this while using inkbirds? It's a small concern but I would love to not have to set it every night and just let it do it's thing. Also what ultrasonic humidifier are you using that will continue turning on and off via the inkbird controller. Mine currently will shut off for good if it ever goes past the set point.
I control day and night. Which model do ya got? I can help you program it. So it has to be a manual or digital with auto restart I will link one for ya

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This will work it has a simple on/off the inkbirds work by cutting power so you must have equipment that will not reset like this manual one. Like I say if its digital it needs to have auto restart. That goes for anything controlled by them including ac, heater, humidifier and dehumidifier.

This is in Canadian funds but can prob grab one for like $30.

Once I know the model I can explain to you how to control it so you set and forget it. Not all thier controllers do day and night but like i said in my VPD thread not a big deal so long as your not getting the humidity spike at lights out.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

House of hydro makes a good ultrasonic mister. Friend of mine has a 5 disc...spendy! but works great though

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

I control day and night. Which model do ya got? I can help you program it. So it has to be a manual or digital with auto restart I will link one for ya
I have the IHC-200, I wasn't aware there are night and day settings unless you figured out a custom set up would love to hear it!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have the IHC-200, I wasn't aware there are night and day settings unless you figured out a custom set up would love to hear it!
That one can only set one static humidity level. But there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Were you using a digital humidifier without auto restart?

Or is it an issue with trying to program it?

You can set the deadband (meaning how lofar below the setpoint it kicks on) but it will always shut off at the setpoint. I Adjust the humidifier rate itself on the humidifier so that when it shuts off the lag time for the sensor reading doesn't allow for much of an increase past the setpoint so it doesn't constantly just keep kicking my dehumidifier on then my humidifier in a vicious cycle.

I basically set the humidifier to the lowest setting but I'm in a sealed room so you may need it higher?

I have a 4 point deadband each way so if I set to 60 it will humidity at 56 the humidifier kicks on and shuts off at 60.... with lag time usually ends up at 61-62. When it reaches 64 the dehumidifier kicks on and shuts off at 60 with lag time usually ends up aboit 58.

Once the plants are big enough for the space you won't need the humidifier generally 2-3 weeks and im good but this will differ if your exchanging air depending on the humidity of the room the intake is coming from.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

That one can only set one static humidity level. But there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Were you using a digital humidifier without auto restart?

Or is it an issue with trying to program it?

You can set the deadband (meaning how lofar below the setpoint it kicks on) but it will always shut off at the setpoint. I Adjust the humidifier rate itself on the humidifier so that when it shuts off the lag time for the sensor reading doesn't allow for much of an increase past the setpoint so it doesn't constantly just keep kicking my dehumidifier on then my humidifier in a vicious cycle.

I basically set the humidifier to the lowest setting but I'm in a sealed room so you may need it higher?

I have a 4 point deadband each way so if I set to 60 it will humidity at 56 the humidifier kicks on and shuts off at 60.... with lag time usually ends up at 61-62. When it reaches 64 the dehumidifier kicks on and shuts off at 60 with lag time usually ends up aboit 58.

Once the plants are big enough for the space you won't need the humidifier generally 2-3 weeks and im good but this will differ if your exchanging air depending on the humidity of the room the intake is coming from.
Ah ok, ya I was using a digital one but I just got my hands on an analog one so I am good there. If I am understanding correctly you're describing how to program the inkbird which I understand. I was moreso asking if there is a way to have 2 different setpoints; one for day and one for night. Is there another inkbird model that does this?

Yea, I am exchanging air. The exhaust fan is always on and theres a passive intake.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Just a random piece of information if anyone ever comes across this ever again. the inkbird controllers have a wifi model now that has the capability to have different set points on an automated schedule. So that answers my earlier question in this thread on how to have different set points for the night cycle without having to manually change it every night. Inkbird for the win! Affordable automation.

Top Bottom