Humidity Issues!!!!! Can't lower the Humidity in my tent.

• Thread starter MisterJones
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MisterJones

MisterJones

I can't figure out why I can't get my humidity under control. Im using an inkbird humidity controller and was using a 150 square foot rated dehumidifier and it wasn't helping at all so I upgraded to a 450 square foot dehumidifier. I tried placing them outside of the tent and then inside of the tent and I can't seem to get the humidity down. The dehumidifier is working as it has collected about 1/2 inch of water in the tank over the past day or so. The humidity likes to hover around the 58% mark and i have it set on the controller to be around 43%. The room it is in is only about 12x14 feet. Any suggestions?

Humidity issues cant lower the humidity in my tent
Humidity issues cant lower the humidity in my tent 2
Humidity issues cant lower the humidity in my tent 3
Humidity issues cant lower the humidity in my tent 4
Humidity issues cant lower the humidity in my tent 5
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I can't figure out why I can't get my humidity under control. Im using an inkbird humidity controller and was using a 150 square foot rated dehumidifier and it wasn't helping at all so I upgraded to a 450 square foot dehumidifier. I tried placing them outside of the tent and then inside of the tent and I can't seem to get the humidity down. The dehumidifier is working as it has collected about 1/2 inch of water in the tank over the past day or so. The humidity likes to hover around the 58% mark and i have it set on the controller to be around 43%. The room it is in is only about 12x14 feet. Any suggestions?
That little dehuey won't cut it bro sorry.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What the rating of water removal a day? Remember a plant will put 95% of the water you put in back into the air. So if your feeding 1 gal a day to your plants you better have atleast that I dehumidification. Then the lower the humidity the more water they pull from the media so it makes it even harder on the dehuey. Add to this the humidity of the room or house the tent is in and if its higher then its trying to dehumidify the whole room or house if its open.

MisterJones

MisterJones

Thats what I was afraid of. Guess it's time to upgrade again! I found one that removes 50 pints a day for $150 and it has a humidity controller on it. Trying not to break the bank. I feed once a day and a total of about 12 pints. Should I return the humidity controller since the unit itself can adjust or should i keep it and invest in a humidifier as well? Not sure if I will need the humidifier right now but I might need it when Im hanging after harvest. I was also planning on hanging inside of the tent with a fan on slow and the inline carbon filter running.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thats what I was afraid of. Guess it's time to upgrade again! I found one that removes 50 pints a day for $150 and it has a humidity controller on it. Trying not to break the bank. I feed once a day and a total of about 12 pints. Should I return the humidity controller since the unit itself can adjust or should i keep it and invest in a humidifier as well? Not sure if I will need the humidifier right now but I might need it when Im hanging after harvest. I was also planning on hanging inside of the tent with a fan on slow and the inline carbon filter running.
Thats up to you the controller would be a lot more accurate. Or like suggested use the controller to your exhaust fan and vent outside. If the humidity of the room or house is below the humidity you desire. If uta higher then exhausting won't help.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also make sure it has auto restart function if your going to use a controller as they cut powere to control. Otherwise it won't work cause you will have to reset the dehuey evwrytime the controller shits it off.

MisterJones

MisterJones

I want to keep the exhaust inside. I Ordered a 35 pint model and it will be here Tuesday. Hopefully it will get my issue under control. Im going to keep the controller to use with a humidifier. The dehumidifier has an auto function and i will use some humidity sensors to check for accuracy and adjust. I believe the unit has a sensitivity range of 4% each way.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I want to keep the exhaust inside. I Ordered a 35 pint model and it will be here Tuesday. Hopefully it will get my issue under control. Im going to keep the controller to use with a humidifier. The dehumidifier has an auto function and i will use some humidity sensors to check for accuracy and adjust. I believe the unit has a sensitivity range of 4% each way.
Yeah thats where the controller comes in handy you can set the deadband range.

growsince79

growsince79

Why anyone would want to keep exhaust inside is beyond reason. Sorry, but that's just dumb. You must not be the owner.

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

I am curious as to what size light and the size of your tent?
I also had to deal with excessive heat and humidity at one point, and will tell you that feeding humidity back into the same room that you are also feeding into the tent is not helping with just a humidifier...do you have an air conditioner/ mini-split or centralized AC in your home? If not, maybe investing into a small portable air conditioner for your bedroom, which also dehumidifies, would be a smarter investment. Regardless, with either a single port AC unit or a dual port AC (more efficient) will still require vents to run to the outside, but usually come with a window adaptor to allow it to be portable and removed if you so wish when not needed.
Hot, humid air into tent means hot humid air expelled out of tent, plus the heat of the lights 👍...and instead of just controlling humidity, you are controlling your environment more consistently, and maybe even more economically, rather than buying and collecting all these smaller dehumidifiers, which is not cutting it.
I purchased a programable combination AC/ heater/ dehumidifier (dual port) on Amazon for just over $400 CDN. This unit also allows me to set my dehumidifier ranges and it collects the water and expels it through an exhaust hose as a mist, meaning I don't even have to empty out any water that is collected from any small dehumidifier (as you do now). Something to consider in this addition, if you so choose, is to look at what you have running on that electrical circuit, as I needed to add an additional circuit to the room, dedicated to the 1230 watts when it kicks in. Just something to consider, or it maybe wise to just grow in periods of the year when you can control your environment easily. Maybe even moving your grow tent to your basement (if you have one) might help a little during this time of the year.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Looks like 1 too many plants for the size of the tent too. You will always have about 3-5 gal of extra wet medium to contend with no matter what this way. Once those start growing flowers you will be fighting a loosing battle for sure if you do not vent outside. Just my opinion but I'm running three 2x2 tents and have experienced the same problem as you.

Limiting each tent to only 4 gals of medium in whatever combo of pots helped me a lot fwiw 👍

Plus 58% is not gonna kill you, if thats what you're stuck with, grab a vpd chart and get your temp in line with the rh. Use the variables you can control the best and work around those you can't when possible.

🌱

MisterJones

MisterJones

So if I switched the light schedule the week before thanksgiving, what week of flower would that put me in? I'm confused with if the transition time is considered part of the "flowering period".

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Why anyone would want to keep exhaust inside is beyond reason. Sorry, but that's just dumb. You must not be the owner.
While I agree with this statement (I work in a tropical environment in my office, makes for brisk breaks when I step out), it may be unrealistic for renters. However, when I can, I intend on buying where I'm at, then I can punch a hole in the ceiling and vent out of one of the roof exhausts. Until then, it's a battle of getting ambient RH down.
So if I switched the light schedule the week before thanksgiving, what week of flower would that put me in? I'm confused with if the transition time is considered part of the "flowering period".
It depends. My true flower timeline starts when flowers first set. That could be two days after switch to 12/12 for eager girls, it could be three weeks after flip. Most go based off the date of time change, which includes transition.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ideally vented but if your removing the humidity its not much of an issue.

1. Keep nosy ppl from knowing your business.

2. May cost more to vent than a dehumidifier.

3. In winter (where in from) not only is it extremely noticeable but every bit of air you pump out will draw freezing cold air in through any places that have a slight draft icing up doors and windows and increasing heating costs.

I'm sure there is a few more. But kinda why I run a sealed room thats moisture proof. Keep it in one place and treat the air. If it wasn’t for the above reasons I would absolutely ditch the sealed room and co2 and go vented as it would be so much easier.

MisterJones

MisterJones

What is everyone's opinion on if you should or shouldn't PH the water when flushing? Mixed reviews everywhere.......

Latest posts

Top Bottom