Humidity vs air flow how to control them both

• Thread starter nsw3913t
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nsw3913t

So i have a 60x60x80 tent and my humidity is too high. I got a dehumidifier for it, will put in in the morning. Do i need to lower the intake and exhaust fans to get better results from the dehumidifier or run the fans like normal while using the dehumidifier. Or since i am using one do i lower all the fans. Thanks for your help, also if i have worded this wrong let me know so i can get to the right result. Thanks! Pls ask questions!!

BigCube

BigCube

So i have a 60x60x80 tent and my humidity is too high. I got a dehumidifier for it, will put in in the morning. Do i need to lower the intake and exhaust fans to get better results from the dehumidifier or run the fans like normal while using the dehumidifier. Or since i am using one do i lower all the fans. Thanks for your help, also if i have worded this wrong let me know so i can get to the right result. Thanks! Pls ask questions!!

It is easier to control the humidity of the room the tent is in vrs controlling the humidity in the tent itself.

As the tent take air from the room it's in and the air in the tent is replaced several times per minute, it's not in the tent long enough. Therefore you control the humidity and temperature of the room the tent is in. Also it saves you room in your tent đź‘Ť

Good luck man!

Madmax

Madmax

This ^^ if you havnt this luxury of growing indoors and are in a shed i use heat, meaning my extraction fan is plugged into an inkbird .when temp is reached, the heat along with humidity is extracted out of the room.i use a finned heater to get to the temp i need before the humidty gets too high..for eg room gets to 26.7c 80.6f and rh is around 51% 53% and leaf temp is in the rang 23 -25 deg for optimum growing.exhaust fan extracts the heat and humidity every 1.3 minutes and when fan isnt working the dehumidifier takes care of the rest...

N

nsw3913t

It is easier to control the humidity of the room the tent is in vrs controlling the humidity in the tent itself.

As the tent take air from the room it's in and the air in the tent is replaced several times per minute, it's not in the tent long enough. Therefore you control the humidity and temperature of the room the tent is in. Also it saves you room in your tent đź‘Ť

Good luck man!
Thx!! What i find odd is the room is always 51 ish and the tent is getting up to 68 when the lights go off. I put a small dehumidifier in the tent 5 min ago lol. Hope i can bring it down w that. Maybe ill need to put in 2 or lile u said get a large one for the entire room. Guess i will find out later today. Thx for the help!!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
A humidity spike on lights out is common, it only lasts a while. If you can keep your room rh around 50% you'll be ok.
I can rarely keep my humidity down that low. I'm lucky to get it below 60% most of the time. I don't know how we're supposed to keep the RH down when we add a ton of water to our plants to keep them alive. Watering day the RH maybe in the 50% range but water my plants and up she goes to 65%, even with dehumidifiers running 24/7 on turbo, As long as I have air moving ( I have 5 fans running 24/7 I seem to be okay......for now.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Just be careful putting a dehumidifier in your tent they blow out warm air, I put my dehu in the lung room, it raises the temp 3-4f in the room, keep a close eye on it until you see how yours does, I’m using a 50 pint 4500sq ft dehumidifier

Now I keep it in the basement in another room and run it at 50%RH. And it keeps my RH low enough in the tent and dosent raise the temp as much

N

nsw3913t

I was wondering if i shud lower intake and exhasut during dark tile while leaving the oscilating fan on and running the dehumidifier to try and get the humidity down during that period. Not too worried during light on time. Its running around 80 degrees and 59% right now. More worried about mold when the lights are off.

N

nsw3913t

Just be careful putting a dehumidifier in your tent they blow out warm air, I put my dehu in the lung room, it raises the temp 3-4f in the room, keep a close eye on it until you see how yours does, I’m using a 50 pint 4500sq ft dehumidifier

Now I keep it in the basement in another room and run it at 50%RH. And it keeps my RH low enough in the tent and dosent raise the temp as much
I put a small dehumidifier in the tent. Temp seems to be ok but its not really dropping RH. It isnt going over 60% now but it is at 59% with lights on.

Z

zebracake

I can rarely keep my humidity down that low. I'm lucky to get it below 60% most of the time. I don't know how we're supposed to keep the RH down when we add a ton of water to our plants to keep them alive. Watering day the RH maybe in the 50% range but water my plants and up she goes to 65%, even with dehumidifiers running 24/7 on turbo, As long as I have air moving ( I have 5 fans running 24/7 I seem to be okay......for now.
What size dehumidifier and intake/outtake fans do you have? I have a 260 watt dehumidifier that I use for early flower in my 9x5x7 tent which is just enough to keep rh at 58% lights on and 45% lights off with 10 inch in take and out take fans which are probably bigger than I need. Once I'm in late flower I gotta use a 650 watt dehumidifier which will keep me at rh 55% lights on and 45% lights off. My dehumidifiers are in my tent and they only bring down the rh by 10-15% max so I feel like the intake/outtake fans are doing most of the dehumidifying and maybe it is better to have your dehumidifier out of your tent I'll have to give it a shot.

I have a 5x5 tent too but I use it for my veg plants so I don't need a dehumidifier but if I ever used it for flowering my 260 watt dehumidifier should be enough with 6 inch in take fan and 8 inch out take with carbon filter running full power.

60% rh isn't too high during flower but you want every square inch of that canopy to be getting good airflow.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
What size dehumidifier and intake/outtake fans do you have? I have a 260 watt dehumidifier that I use for early flower in my 9x5x7 tent which is just enough to keep rh at 58% lights on and 45% lights off with 10 inch in take and out take fans which are probably bigger than I need. Once I'm in late flower I gotta use a 650 watt dehumidifier which will keep me at rh 55% lights on and 45% lights off. My dehumidifiers are in my tent and they only bring down the rh by 10-15% max so I feel like the intake/outtake fans are doing most of the dehumidifying and maybe it is better to have your dehumidifier out of your tent I'll have to give it a shot.

I have a 5x5 tent too but I use it for my veg plants so I don't need a dehumidifier but if I ever used it for flowering my 260 watt dehumidifier should be enough with 6 inch in take fan and 8 inch out take with carbon filter running full power.

60% rh isn't too high during flower but you want every square inch of that canopy to be getting good airflow.
Yep I’m run a 6” exhaust with 2x bottom flaps 100% open, at the moment my dehu is off and I’m running humidifiers cus I have seedlings in there now, I took the stand off my 16” oscillating fan and mounted it to the ceiling of my tent and have 2x stationary 6” fans blowing in different directions.

I have one of the small dehumidifiers too but I use it in my drying box 4’x4’x3’ high and it just keeps the RH in check in the tent, it dosent ado anything for my grow tent when I tried it in there though

This is the 50 pint I use, it’ll drop my whole basement from 65%RH to 35%RH in a few hours but like I said it’ll also raise the ambient temp up 6-7f initially but once it’s been running for a few days it evens out at around 3-4F. I’m glad we’re going into fall once we hit winter the RH should be much less of a worry as well as temps. We run a wood stove for heat upstairs and we don’t actively heat the basement it stays around 60f it’d be great to be growing a purple strain id defenitly get the good 15f temp swing to really bring out the color lol

I was wondering if i shud lower intake and exhasut during dark tile while leaving the oscilating fan on and running the dehumidifier to try and get the humidity down during that period. Not too worried during light on time. Its running around 80 degrees and 59% right now. More worried about mold when the lights are off.
Increased airflow would be better than less, you want maximum air exchange when RH is high you want pull that humid air out of the tent and exchange it with drier air from the lung room I’d bump the exhaust up a bit more at night and see if that helps

0C693914 6AAC 46A3 8F2A 6943563942C2
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Here is a 24-hour chart of the temperature and humidity inside my tent. The lights come on at 8 AM and turn off at 8 PM. The air conditioner is set to 78 and I only run it on hot days. The dehumidifier in the room is set to 50% and is on all the time. This wasn't a watering day and the outside temperature was in the 70s. It shows the effect of the lights turning on or off.

A day of temperature and humidity   Screenshot 2022 09 01 061822

N

nsw3913t

6in intake and exhast ac infinity inline w the carbon filters. And i just got a super small vivosun dehumidifier to see if it helped. Its for a 269sf room and mine is 250. Might get a second one. I dont have the room for a large one in the tent. I am running the fans at 8 shud i go to 10? And yeah i have good air circulation on all plants they def are moving in the breeze. I also have a clip on fan that oscillates.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

Most of my stuff is in an open basement divided off with black out curtains 8ft underground and I've 2 dehues, 1- 35 pint & 1- 30 pint, the trouble with using 2 is the heat they generate. I have in house ventilation system, a 6" exhaust and a 4" exhaust on controllers, both @ 100% 24/7....as we move into Sept this problem will be gone. Its just a timing issue with me, I fked up a cycle of clones and ended up flowering in the worst time of the year. I have 7 @ 8 weeks today and I'd really like to get it down below 55%. I'll switch on the smaller dehue tonight as its cooled down a bit now, Trouble is as soon as they get their next water / feed there goes the humidity back up into the 60's.

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

This is why i add heat @PipeCarver .lights on and off .the quicker my room gets to the temp i have set on the inkbird which the extraction fan is plugged into my temp is reached and extracted before the humidity gets a chance to build up..

N

nsw3913t

Hot the tent to 80f during light time and 48% humidty and 70f at dark time and 42% humidity thanks for all ur help im pretty happy w those numbers!
20220903 091016
20220903 090957

20220903 091016
N

nsw3913t

Looking healthy, that's what's important. I find when they're nice and green with everything thriving I'm a happy man....And that's whats really important
So a week later and i defoliated. Went conservative since its my first time lol. What do u think now? Shud i change or add anything or let em roll for a few weeks. Was thinking of adding a few more exhail bags and cal mag and few more circ fans of needed.

20220911 075243
20220911 075239
20220911 075226
20220911 075215
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
So a week later and i defoliated. Went conservative since its my first time lol. What do u think now? Shud i change or add anything or let em roll for a few weeks. Was thinking of adding a few more exhail bags and cal mag and few more circ fans of needed.
Looking great, I'd just let em grow, I'm not a fan of chopping all the leaves off. you have lots of room to let them go just clip leaves that hang over bud sites. imho

Top Bottom