Hvac Guys Got A ? For You...

• Thread starter Slowitdown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Ok guys so I got a new unit installed in a place. It is a 3 ton reseden unit. I noticed the smaller coil coming into the house is sweating pretty bad when the unit is running... I have attached a picture and was wondering why this is happening or is it supposed to happen? Second question is the condensor seems to be pretty loud I can actually here it in the house when the unit is on and outside its pretty noisy to. Is this normal for a 3 ton and if not what could be the issue there?

Thanks guys

Hvac guys got a  for you
blazer

blazer

Ok guys so I got a new unit installed in a place. It is a 3 ton reseden unit. I noticed the smaller coil coming into the house is sweating pretty bad when the unit is running... I have attached a picture and was wondering why this is happening or is it supposed to happen? Second question is the condensor seems to be pretty loud I can actually here it in the house when the unit is on and outside its pretty noisy to. Is this normal for a 3 ton and if not what could be the issue there?

Thanks guys
Is it cooling properly?
Is it A Mini-split?
If not then is a heat pump?
If neither of those then you got a problem for sure possibly a restriction.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Is it cooling properly?
Is it A Mini-split?
If not then is a heat pump?
If neither of those then you got a problem for sure possibly a restriction.

What up @blazer It is not a mini-split. Yeah it is a heat pump. It is cooling good I mean not as strong or cold as I thought a 3 ton would be but its good. Where would the restriction be?

blazer

blazer

My guess is it was running in heat mode when you saw the condensation on the line if it seems to be working properly, in cooling the line with the insulation will sweat.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

My guess is it was running in heat mode when you saw the condensation on the line if it seems to be working properly, in cooling the line with the insulation will sweat.

Nope never in heat mode that thing stays in cool mode. I wonder if its the cheap air filter I got in the system but I don't think that could cause it to have the problem.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks guys

Brand and model number? Looks like u have a liquid line drier blockage or liquid line valve is not open all the way. How long has unit been installed? Did it do this as soon as u started it up or later? Bottom line is you need a good HVAC tech to look at it. The air filter would not cause that. My guess is that your refrigeration system needs to be opened and restriction removed.

Last edited:
blazer

blazer

Try to track where on that line It is starting to sweat or frost at, pics will help us diagnose, if possible from the pics!
I meant a restriction in the refrigeration system itself internal!

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Brand and model number? Looks like u have a liquid line drier blockage or liquid line valve is not open all the way. How long has unit been installed? Did it do this as soon as u started it up or later? Bottom line is you need a good HVAC tech to look at it. The air filter would not cause that. My guess is that your refrigeration system needs to be opened and restriction removed.

Got my HVAC guy coming but he wont be here for a week. Will I be ok running it like this in the meantime?

blazer

blazer

Got my HVAC guy coming but he wont be here for a week. Will I be ok running it like this in the meantime?
Not good for it,they use the refrigerant to cool the compressor motor and most likely with a restriction your not getting enough cooling to the compressor but with out temps and pressures it's a guess

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I wouldn't run it that way. It's possible with a restriction to destroy your unit (if pressure gets high enough inside condensing unit). The noise you're hearing is probably an internal relief valve on compressor bypassing refrigerant from high side to low side.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Not good for it,they use the refrigerant to cool the compressor motor and most likely with a restriction your not getting enough cooling to the compressor but with out temps and pressures it's a guess

The unit takes R22 freon. He hooked up the gauge to the unit filled it up accordingly and that was that. The freon has to be on point because he checked it twice.

I wouldn't run it that way. It's possible with a restriction to destroy your unit (if pressure gets high enough inside condensing unit). The noise you're hearing is probably an internal relief valve on compressor bypassing refrigerant from high side to low side.

If 100% it is a restriction but we are not sure that is what it is. I am going to post another pic in 5 minutes to show where the line ends.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Ok this is where the small coil ends. It goes into the blower.

20150421 205450

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
What kind of metering device is it a fixed orifice or a txv? It definately needs to get a pressure reading. Check your super heat if it's a fixed orifice or check subcooling for a txv metering device. This should tell your tech if you have a restriction , overcharge, undercharge , airflow problem Etc.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

What kind of metering device is it a fixed orifice or a txv? It definately needs to get a pressure reading. Check your super heat if it's a fixed orifice or check subcooling for a txv metering device. This should tell your tech if you have a restriction , overcharge, undercharge , airflow problem Etc.

I am not sure what type of metering device it is? He did a pressure reading when adding freon but said since it was kind of cold outside the reading wasn't 100% accurate. This is what I saw him use -

Not the same thing but something like that when he was adding freon.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I am not sure what type of metering device it is? He did a pressure reading when adding freon but said since it was kind of cold outside the reading wasn't 100% accurate. This is what I saw him use -

Not the same thing but something like that when he was adding freon.

What were the pressure readings? He could have overcharged it and maybe left you with an even bigger problem.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Check other end at condenser. Wherever the sweating stops is where the restriction is. Most heat pumps have a factory installed liquid line drier (inside of condensing unit). That's where I suspect the problem is.

When I go outside to the condenser that small coil is not sweating. It does not sweat until it first enters the room.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
You can check your pressure of your system without Gauges you just need a accurate thermometer

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

What were the pressure readings? He could have overcharged it and maybe left you with an even bigger problem.

He came back and said it was overcharged. That is when he removed freon and said it would not sweat no more. But continued to do so. Usually is the unit is low on freon you will see frost around the bigger coil. Mine is not doing that..

Top Bottom