HYDRO Vs SOIL.

• Thread starter LUDACRIS.
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snow Crash

I think that the real gains in hydro come from the SOG style of growing. In 70 days from cutting, and only 56 days in the flowering space (I've seen it as low as 50 days), a grower can pull 350g/sqm. A 5x5 space pulling in 700 grams no problem, every 50 days. Now consider having a 10x10 area, fully lit, dialed with nutrients and environment, pulling down at least 2800 grams (like 6lbs) every 50 days for something like 40lbs per year out of one hundred square feet.

It's just a numbers game. When you can smash 4 plant per square foot, and you're running 400 plants in a grow room you only need to hit about 7 grams per plant. To depend on soil for this kind of quick turn around you're just not going to hit the numbers required.

I must state I've never actually done this, I'm not a commercial grower, or someone who feels like managing upwards of 400 plants at any one time in a 10x10 space... But you get the idea here I think.

Where the improved growth rates make a difference is in the clone to flower SOG grows. The plants get bigger, faster, and that's important because it's all about turnover rates happening in a relatively short period of time and getting the plants to produce to their maximum potential in that time frame.

In a 10x10 outdoor plot let's say you grow one large plant. This large plant is started indoors in late winter, moved outside in early spring, and isn't harvest until late fall. The total number of days being about 275. Let's say this big tree of a plant pulls down a nice big 12 lbs harvest in that time.

Now, indoors you have a strain that is running 55 days to completion. You're running 200 clones in the room and you're harvesting 14 grams per clone consistently. After 275 days this room would pull down 30lbs in that same period of time. Even accounting for losing an entire harvest to some mechanical failure or by adding in a few days between harvests and only doing 4 in that period of time, the hydroponic SOG SMASHES apart the outdoor organic when it comes to time and space.

This being said I think it is important to make all the allowances and compensations necessary. There is a cost to running all the pumps and lights and meters and CO2 and cooling, etc, etc. Compared to sunlight and fresh air... Dollar for Dollar... each method is about equal. Add in the extra labor though and outdoor, natural, soil organics has an advantage in that regard. I cannot imagine handling a 400 plant grow space but I imagine it would be neither cheap nor easy.

And that's how it all breaks down. Nature has limitations with regards to the time required start to finish in a given space. Hydroponics opens a lot of doors to efficiency of that time and space if supplemented with money and hard work.

A space full of these:
gi_grow1.jpg

or these:
Ari-MiniColiseum.JPG

Shit... That's 300 plants in a 6x6 space. A person could run four of these in a 15x15 area and do 7200 plants a year. Just 7 grams per plant would be more than 100 pounds per year. An initial investment of probably $50,000 would pay off VERY fast in a grow space with these puppies. There would need to be an intense Mother/Clone area in addition to keep up with the ~25 clones per day requirement but worth it in the end I think...

or these:
vertical-veggies1.jpg

These vertical systems are always going to out harvest nature day for day foot for foot because they are efficiently designed. Once the efficiency is there, and the gardening skill is there, the competition between man and nature when it comes to growing plants becomes a pretty one-sided fight.

DRorganic

DRorganic

I am new but i love my organic sweet tasting bat guano and earth juice grown medication. i smoked some chemical bud once and it made me sick. that's when i started my worm farm and will never go chemical. i hate chemical plants there bad for the environment. plus i love my organic vegetables .i can tell you if organics makes vegs taste that good i know my bud is just as tasty. and healthier for you. DR>O

H

Hasbro

Good thread, hope it stays that way.

Snow Crash, thanks for all of your work putting that together.

I'm really torn between the two. Having been in horticulture for almost 30 years I love growing in soil/organics but really want to try hydro for production purposes. Might have to do both.

LBH

LBH

Might have to do both.

I was the same way. I only changed over one of my 4 bucket set ups when I first tried it, convinced I wouldn't like it but sick of being outdone by my buddy and hearing how I need to "just TRY the shit...." so I did.

I switched out the rest of the pots for buckets on the next grow and never looked back.

Many people get intimidated by all the terminology but it needs to be said that it's actually quite a bit easier once you actually DO it instead of just reading up on it. That intimidation goes away quickly once you realize how consistent you can be now that you know exactly how much they are eating and when. I find it much easier to know when to address the different stages.

Hasbro- You a RI'r by chance? (Hasbro is a RI based company)

H

Hasbro

I was the same way. I only changed over one of my 4 bucket set ups when I first tried it, convinced I wouldn't like it but sick of being outdone by my buddy and hearing how I need to "just TRY the shit...." so I did.

I switched out the rest of the pots for buckets on the next grow and never looked back.

Many people get intimidated by all the terminology but it needs to be said that it's actually quite a bit easier once you actually DO it instead of just reading up on it. That intimidation goes away quickly once you realize how consistent you can be now that you know exactly how much they are eating and when. I find it much easier to know when to address the different stages.

Hasbro- You a RI'r by chance? (Hasbro is a RI based company)

Yeah, think I'll start with two soil, two hydro. Strongr learning curve and it would be fun to compare. Are you using a tent? I also have deal with 85 degree room temps due to my sick brother.

Not RI, but my family is Boston Irish/English.

Hasbro is a toy company and I like to play! I used to raise lizards and the coolest one by far was a big ol' Iguana named Hasbro. Very mellow dude.:cool

Nice pics, LBH. re-edit: Damn it, your threads are keeping me up late! Subscribed.

B

bongtime

//Hey BT, which one tasted better?

SORRY fella i am growing the soil plants as we speak..but i defos think soil
will have the best taste..but is it worth losing a lot in yeild..my first ebb
and flow hydro crop was 22oz...i reckon my soil will only be about 7oz
so my next grow will be hydro...

LBH

LBH

Yeah, think I'll start with two soil, two hydro. Strongr learning curve and it would be fun to compare. Are you using a tent? I also have deal with 85 degree room temps due to my sick brother.

Well, sick brother needs to come first I would think,lol. I'm, not in a tent but in closets on the 3rd floor (the roof) so I had to sacrifice some yield since I moved here but this yr I have a/c piped into every closet. :) 74 degrees

Not RI, but my family is Boston Irish/English.
Hasbro is a toy company and I like to play!

Aha. I was asking in case u worked there, wanted to pass along a huge "THANKS". Hasbro does SO MUCH for the foundation I work with regarding disabled and terminal kids. Those folks step up HARD every year, great folks.

I used to raise lizards and the coolest one by far was a big ol' Iguana named Hasbro. Very mellow dude.:cool

Wow, I had an Iguana for 7 yrs, she died in our house fire, 51" long, she was a beast. When I lived in Vt, I met a vet who just so happened to have a gov't grant regarding breeding them in captivity, he schooled me good. Tip-If you want yours to grow BIG, feed him/her a product called zoo-preme (might be zu-preme) monkey chow biscuits. You soak them in milk and they just LOVE them. Lots of good stuff in them for reptiles believe it or not. ok,....sorry for the off topic stuff, back to the weeds.

Nice pics, LBH. re-edit: Damn it, your threads are keeping me up late!

Thanks dude, but don't fret it, there are much worse things you could have been doing at that time of night,lol ;)

Running both hydro and soil will do nothing but improve your skills and general understanding of growing. After a run or 2, you'll be able to pick the medium that you were more comfortable with but will still have the experience of using the other, good stuff. Good luck, keep us posted and if you have a journal rolling, please link me via pm.

SORRY fella i am growing the soil plants as we speak..but i defos think soil
will have the best taste..but is it worth losing a lot in yeild..my first ebb
and flow hydro crop was 22oz...i reckon my soil will only be about 7oz
so my next grow will be hydro...

I'd like to hear your opinion on taste when it's done. I was just thinking about this. I was at the Releaf magazine anniv party last night and threw this at a few of my grower friends who have been judges at cups, the treat yourself, expo, etc. The general opinion was that, if taste were discernible between hydro or soil (when both are done right), they would have separate classes in competition. Good luck with the new run. :) :harvest:

ludacris

talk is inexpensive

show the photos

Check his gallery,....he ain't got none. lol

You should not be advertising other websites on here and telling me to go and join them. I have my own website thanks to jokers like yourself. Thanks for doing your moderating job. Now go and start a fight with somebody else.

Sorry, it's just that those who don't fit the farm often fit in just fine over there, that's all. Lots of talk with no back over there (wink)

I grew soil for years (at least 15) - got tired of getting bags of dirt stock with aphids, root aphids, white flies etc etc

in the same space with the same lights I kill my soil yeilds and my room turnover is much faster

I also grow weed that doesnt taste like its hydro - its all about what you use - how much and when you use it and yes a good flush

and what I mean by flush is cutting nutes out and watering for 10-14 days depending on your medium

no flushing agents unless you count molasses

in the years I have been playing in hydro - dog chow - rockwool - hempy - and now coco - not once have I said hey I miss dirt

as far as bag appeal I feel my nugs have that and then some

I always tell people if it works for you then thats what works best

I am not here to tell anybody there grow style is bullshit

Word.

Nice post snow crash, cool stuff, thanks :)

Grow 'em up!!

D

dank_

I generally agree with the OP.
I prefer hydroponics indoors because of the control I have.

L

LUDACRIS.

well, sick brother needs to come first i would think,lol. I'm, not in a tent but in closets on the 3rd floor (the roof) so i had to sacrifice some yield since i moved here but this yr i have a/c piped into every closet. :) 74 degrees

aha. I was asking in case u worked there, wanted to pass along a huge "thanks". Hasbro does so much for the foundation i work with regarding disabled and terminal kids. Those folks step up hard every year, great folks.

Wow, i had an iguana for 7 yrs, she died in our house fire, 51" long, she was a beast. When i lived in vt, i met a vet who just so happened to have a gov't grant regarding breeding them in captivity, he schooled me good. Tip-if you want yours to grow big, feed him/her a product called zoo-preme (might be zu-preme) monkey chow biscuits. You soak them in milk and they just love them. Lots of good stuff in them for reptiles believe it or not. Ok,....sorry for the off topic stuff, back to the weeds.

Thanks dude, but don't fret it, there are much worse things you could have been doing at that time of night,lol ;)

running both hydro and soil will do nothing but improve your skills and general understanding of growing. After a run or 2, you'll be able to pick the medium that you were more comfortable with but will still have the experience of using the other, good stuff. Good luck, keep us posted and if you have a journal rolling, please link me via pm.

I'd like to hear your opinion on taste when it's done. I was just thinking about this. I was at the releaf magazine anniv party last night and threw this at a few of my grower friends who have been judges at cups, the treat yourself, expo, etc. The general opinion was that, if taste were discernible between hydro or soil (when both are done right), they would have separate classes in competition. Good luck with the new run. :) :harvest:

check his gallery,....he ain't got none. Lol

sorry, it's just that those who don't fit the farm often fit in just fine over there, that's all. Lots of talk with no back over there (wink)

word.

Nice post snow crash, cool stuff, thanks :)

grow 'em up!!

lolz.
(i am just watching the debate so leave me out of this).
:)

LBH

LBH

Um,...no,...you started this debate and now that you have been called out on your opinion, you got nothing. Like Mother said, I'm no one to tell you how to do whatever you want to do, but don't tell me my way sucks compared to yours when you have zip, zippo, zilch, nothing,....to back up your words. Just sayin', don't let your mouth write checks your ass can't cash. (wink)

RECAP! lol

L

LUDACRIS.

Um,...no,...you started this debate and now that you have been called out on your opinion, you got nothing. Like Mother said, I'm no one to tell you how to do whatever you want to do, but don't tell me my way sucks compared to yours when you have zip, zippo, zilch, nothing,....to back up your words. Just sayin', don't let your mouth write checks your ass can't cash. (wink)

RECAP! lol

You are assuming i have nothing. I dont need to come here and show private pics that i dont want to show. That's it. You seem to be fixated on this thread in order to call me out but i dont play with kids. Do you have your own website and 5 gardens on the go at once ???????.
I dont need to prove anything to you. You can keep on with the childish attitude if you wish but to be hounest i aint worried. I just hate people making sly remarks behind other peoples backs. Its lame and i dont play like that.

LUDA.

LBH

LBH

You are assuming i have nothing. I dont need to come here and show private pics that i dont want to show. That's it. You seem to be fixated on this thread in order to call me out but i dont play with kids. Do you have your own website and 5 gardens on the go at once ???????.
I dont need to prove anything to you. You can keep on with the childish attitude if you wish but to be hounest i aint worried. I just hate people making sly remarks behind other peoples backs. Its lame and i dont play like that.

LUDA.

Not saying anything behind your back, I'm replying on a thread about a topic YOU STARTED.

Yes, I run multiple gardens, I'm a floriculturist for a living. I have a 31 person staff who maintain over 43+ acres of horticulture. I can build race cars too, who cares.

If you don't wish to participate in a thread you started, that's fine, but don't criticize the folks who called your comments nonsense if you can't (or won't as u claim) defend them. Not even "defend" them,...explain them with science and intelligent discussion. The whole "you don't agree with me so I'm taking my ball and leaving" attitude of yours is the only thing childish here bud.

BTW- Paying go daddy $10 a month does not qualify you as a grower. Pics of your grows, documentation, discussion etc, do. If you ARE some phenomenal grower, it's irrelevant now, you lost any chance of respect way back.

So again, if you have nothing fruitful (no pun intended) to add to your own thread other than bothering with me, stay out of it. In case you forgot, it's hydro v soil

Peace & Love,....moving on....

L

LUDACRIS.

Not saying anything behind your back, I'm replying on a thread about a topic YOU STARTED.

Yes, I run multiple gardens, I'm a floriculturist for a living. I have a 31 person staff who maintain over 43+ acres of horticulture. I can build race cars too, who cares.

If you don't wish to participate in a thread you started, that's fine, but don't criticize the folks who called your comments nonsense if you can't (or won't as u claim) defend them. Not even "defend" them,...explain them with science and intelligent discussion. The whole "you don't agree with me so I'm taking my ball and leaving" attitude of yours is the only thing childish here bud.

BTW- Paying go daddy $10 a month does not qualify you as a grower. Pics of your grows, documentation, discussion etc, do. If you ARE some phenomenal grower, it's irrelevant now, you lost any chance of respect way back.

So again, if you have nothing fruitful (no pun intended) to add to your own thread other than bothering with me, stay out of it. In case you forgot, it's hydro v soil

Peace & Love,....moving on....

I just dont like the arguments between growers as it just gets messy. To old for that and thats why i have my own site for friends and good company and friendly banter thrown in. Its not all about who has the biggest trees or show me yours and i will show you mine. Everybody grows differently and uses different methods and thats how it is.

I just want peace or is that to much to ask ??

PEACE.

CHRIS.

LBH

LBH

Telling people they are lost because they just made every word you said look unfounded and ridiculous,....that's looking for peace?

The ability to admit I was wrong every now and again got me lots of respect when I was younger. A lesson everyone needs to learn young IMO.

waayne

waayne

Bro if you just want peace why start this thread?
This is not the first time this thread has been run here at the Farm
and it always gets the same results>>>a flame war over something that's not even relevant when the real truth is it's the "Grower" and their skill that makes all the difference! >> Killer AAA can be done in soil or hydro! :pimp:

L

LUDACRIS.

Bro if you just want peace why start this thread?
This is not the first time this thread has been run here at the Farm
and it always gets the same results>>>a flame war over something that's not even relevant when the real truth is it's the "Grower" and their skill that makes all the difference! >> Killer AAA can be done in soil or hydro! :pimp:

My mistake for starting a thread that ends up with a rock throwing contest. I did not know that would happen or i wouldent have started this thread.
Guess it was the wrong thing to do.

CHRIS.
(my mistake).

LBH

LBH

Dude,...YOU'RE the one throwing rocks, just because I didn't hop on your bandwagon! lol

Too much, honestly

jyip

jyip

i start reading a good book from the back , and so i read this from the back,, and i gotta go to the beginning now

but i ama hydro grower, but right now, not by choice i am flowering some indoor plts in soilmix..... i have grown more than few indoor hydro grows, and had only grown hydro indoors ( in perlite, rockwool and now hydroton ), never soil....IMO, it requires more space to get same yeild, more work lugging soil, and my personal beliefs and experiences have shown me that i can gro some nice tasting, potent med marijuana indoors in hydro,,, and i am sure that there are more than afew peeps that have and are growing in soil indoors and are happy as well

i would have to think either way, we are growing the same thing for the same reasons though,,, kinda like the same team IMO,,, just diferent equipment to play the game
lets go team med weed!

Reactions: B.a
LBH

LBH

One more thing I haven't seen mentioned,...THE BUGS!! I've had thrips once since I began hydro, that's it, one plant, a few leaves, caught 'em right away. Soil? Whole nother story. It used to PISS ME OFF that I actually PAID to get bugs as they were in the soil I just dropped $22 a bag for. Ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom