Hydroponic Research User Thread

• Thread starter CelticEBE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Spectre

Spectre

That's awesome, 2g calnit will for sure do the trick. Mixing your own micros is impressive work, I just use the jacks m.o.s.t. when I need micros to supplement the jacks formula, you must have a triple beam.

Are you using the ferti-nitro brand amino and humic?

You go through Custom hydro nutrients?

I use mbferts. The humic doesn't have a brand name so im not sure, but i doubt it's the one you mentioned. Jacks is fine for a micro mix but you're still paying them to mix it for you. I use a digital scale but i mix 250gal at a time so i dont need a super accurate scale. For smaller batches im sure you would though.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

That's because you represent the company friend...
Actually he doesn't. Neither do I. You would think I was a Rep by the way I talk about HR products, hell I got a message from someone the other day THANKING me because since I started this thread.....he became a Rep for them.

I weigh out my HD, shine, and life in to little baggies and I am done........I spend about 2 hours and the entire RUN is weighed out and ready to go. I have 5 different projects going on right now. If I had to sit their and buy salts and weigh shit out for each project I would have NO TIME. At one point I was really close to going the raw salt direction, but the simplicity of V+B is what sold me.

Not trying to be a jerk Spectre. This thread is for people who use Hydroponic Research products. There are threads dedicated to salts and making your own nutes. Please feel free to share in them and not trash talk HR.

ill eagle

ill eagle

it's a lifestyle difference, the less variables the better the quality I've always paid for my product discounted for beta testing or whatever, these are good people and it saves a shit load of time

This thread is about keeping it simple.. At least that's what I subscribe to

Spectre

Spectre

I can understand wanting something simple, but if you're already spending two hours weighing salts, why not save 90% on the cost? It's not as time-consuming as you make it seem.

Maybe you guys aren't running through enough solution every week to justify it, which is fair. For me it's either $2k per run or $200 per run. I don't mind a little extra work for that trade off. I could pay someone $1,500 just to weigh out everything for me and still save money.

They may be good people but their margins are still sky high, just like the rest of the bottled fertilizer industry.

I never trash talked anyone either. I said I was a V+B user and I had good results. I moved on to something better and a lot cheaper. Hopefully more growers here will do the same.

Last edited:
CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I can understand wanting something simple, but if you're already spending two hours weighing salts, why not save 90% on the cost? It's not as time-consuming as you make it seem.

Maybe you guys aren't running through enough solution every week to justify it, which is fair. For me it's either $2k per run or $200 per run. I don't mind a little extra work for that trade off. I could pay someone $1,500 just to weigh out everything for me and still save money.

They may be good people but their margins are still sky high, just like the rest of the bottled fertilizer industry.

I never trash talked anyone either. I said I was a V+B user and I had good results. I moved on to something better and a lot cheaper. Hopefully more growers here will do the same.
I spend about 2 hours weighing things out for an entire run.....on a 10 light room. As I stated, I have about 5 other projects that I am running right now, and V+B makes things SIMPLE...not to mention the stellar results I see. Salts may be cheaper.....but I haven't the time nor the patience to deal with them at present moment. Nor can I really afford to see anything other than top shelf gear coming out of the rooms.

2k per run? Are you running a 100 lighter now? Hell we just took down a 16 lighter the other day and we spent less than 700 on the nutes for it. If I had ran H16.....I would have been over 2k in nutes on the run.

Saying that HR is robbing people....is trash talking IMHO. I spend FAR LESS than what I used to spend on nutes now. Coming into and derailing a thread and saying screw this.....come over to the raw salt game.....is just RUDE imho. As I said there are THREADS FOR SALTS!!!! People know about them.

Oh and just because you got the ratio's close. doesn't mean you got the formula right. I know for a fact that there is a LOT more to SHINE than what you are saying is in it. I saw the formula for SIZE when I was at HR picking up my first big order about 3 years ago. I was tempted to recreate it at first, but I just choose to keep doing business with them instead of sending my money out of state to some guy running a warehouse operation in Michigan or Saint Louis.

I like to keep my money IN STATE as much as I can.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

The shift in the current MMJ market is pushing guys to overextend and 'simplify,' but there will be another shift and that one will consist of minimizing overhead and maximizing ROI. How do we do this? Use some extra brain power and mix our own raw salts. I see where Spectre is going with this and respect it, but at the end of the day this Thread is for V+B, not raw salts.

The Terps

The Terps

In @Spectre defense he offered and me and a few others replied yes please I didn't think it was taking anything away from this thread.
Last year I spent almost 14k on nutes.so this year I'm going to focus on keeping my money in my pocket so that leads me to further this discussion here a little. Sorry guys if it bugs let me know and I can start a new thread and keep this one only pro hr.

So I'm not as experienced with hr yet as some so can you tell me how much you pay per gal diluted? I know it's cheaper but I don't know how much. Right now with mills I pay about 32 cents per gal which is WAY to high I calculated raw salts to come out to about 3 cents per gal so the savings there are great. But if veg plus bloom only costs 5-6 cents a gal I could easily justify not mixing 4-5 other products.

I would also like to point out that we all get our salts from the same source. So if you buy your base from me and I buy my salts to sell you as base from China or Australia your giving your money to me and I'm giving it to someone else in turn(unless they have a few mines and processing plants I don't know about). so I personally don't mind cutting out the middle man.

The Terps

The Terps

I could be wrong as I did this quickly but based on grams per gal and msrp prices but I calculated this if you run in grams per gal.
Base 5 @$20 a pound
Life .2 @$80
Shine 1@$40
.28 cents per gal

Last edited:
CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Like I said earlier. I'm NOT trying to be a dick about it. Just doing my best to keep the thread on track. When I was a newb and I would come upon a thread and really start getting into the info that was being put down.....BAM.....it would get derailed and go off on some other tangent.

There are threads that are dedicated specifically to RAW SALTS. I'm by no means saying that it isn't a good route to go for some people. I see the need for them in the industry. Years ago I bought 40 lbs of MKP and 4 lbs of MAP to make my own MOAB because of a thread that was started here on the Farm. I still have and use those salts and I paid very little for it. I think that's rad. I KNOW I could tweak a formula according to my water and have successful results. But at the end of the day I will spend a lot more time, need a lot more room, and complicate my life a lot more, than what I am doing now. I think it's also safe to say that I would be lining someone's pockets just as much as I am now. If you think MBFerts and CHN aren't making money by buying in bulk and selling in smaller amounts.....then why are they in business?

As I stated.....just doing my best to keep the thread on track.

@Spectre I hope I didn't come off like a jerk brother!

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

In @Spectre defense he offered and me and a few others replied yes please I didn't think it was taking anything away from this thread.
Last year I spent almost 14k on nutes.so this year I'm going to focus on keeping my money in my pocket so that leads me to further this discussion here a little. Sorry guys if it bugs let me know and I can start a new thread and keep this one only pro hr.

So I'm not as experienced with hr yet as some so can you tell me how much you pay per gal diluted? I know it's cheaper but I don't know how much. Right now with mills I pay about 32 cents per gal which is WAY to high I calculated raw salts to come out to about 3 cents per gal so the savings there are great. But if veg plus bloom only costs 5-6 cents a gal I could easily justify not mixing 4-5 other products.

I would also like to point out that we all get our salts from the same source. So if you buy your base from me and I buy my salts to sell you as base from China or Australia your giving your money to me and I'm giving it to someone else in turn(unless they have a few mines and processing plants I don't know about). so I personally don't mind cutting out the middle man.

Just a few things to touch upon real quick cause I have to get to work soon.

I don't always run things at 5 grams per gallon with HD. I also don't always use Shine, and Life at those rates either. I ramp up.....and I ramp down. I cut things at certain points. I also get a discount because I have been a loyal customer for years. I have never sat down and figured out what I pay for my nutes......but I know I pay a LOT LESS than what I used to.

Unless you are buying directly from the source of the salts.....you are putting money in someone's pocket. MBFerts and CHN buy direct.....and then sell to you.......just like HR buys direct, then sells to you. The difference for me is that they have done the work and mixed the salts and spent time and money in R&D. Not to mention they are LOCAL to me. MBF and CHN are out of state to me.

ill eagle

ill eagle

I have yet to be blown away by any herb I've seen or smelled grown with salts alone. The quality of finished product alone justifies my decision. And at the end of day I'm dropping like 12 cents a gallon. Some systems I recirculate so savings there, HD I've used 3-4 times before dumping and the shit just gets even more fire.

Spectre

Spectre

Well at least you both admit you're getting hooked up by the company to hype their product. That's a good enough reason for me to ignore the whole thread.

If I was smart I'd start my own nutrient company and undersell everyone. Not sure if I'd be able to get my hands on those super secret special ingredients they use though. darn..

The Terps

The Terps

Let's not start pointing fingers and start measuring peters here everyone is just trying to gain a little info share a little info and powder salts and water ain't no thang to get fussed about IMO. I think everyone has added good info here that is relevant to the thread. Also with all the support these guys have given hr and their other customers me included, (many thanks) deserve to be given a decent discount! Honestly they should be given sponcership!
and at the same time I see excellent quality herb grown in every medium using any given line. And I think all of us can agree their is more to a garden than what label is on our products so let's all keep this awesome thread rolling and try to do better every round every post!

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Well at least you both admit you're getting hooked up by the company to hype their product. That's a good enough reason for me to ignore the whole thread.

If I was smart I'd start my own nutrient company and undersell everyone. Not sure if I'd be able to get my hands on those super secret special ingredients they use though. darn..

No...I do NOT get hooked up to promote HR. I get hooked up because I am and have been a loyal customer. I promote them because I BELIEVE in their products. I also promote and speak highly of Heavy 16.....and Bryce has never given me any kind of deal whatsoever.

Like I said.....not trying to be a jerk....but there are threads about Raw Salts. This thread is about HR products. What you are doing is akin to going into a thread about Spider Mites and talking about Root Aphids.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I have yet to be blown away by any herb I've seen or smelled grown with salts alone. The quality of finished product alone justifies my decision. And at the end of day I'm dropping like 12 cents a gallon. Some systems I recirculate so savings there, HD I've used 3-4 times before dumping and the shit just gets even more fire.
Quite frankly, if all of us could obtain V+B for that price we would ALL be using it. And I'm sorry that you haven't tasted quality from Raw salts, but I would be the first to say that those individuals aren't doing it right.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Has anyone tried using Life in AACT? I usually use the OGBiowar in my brews, but think I might give some life a shot.

SlabLabCO

SlabLabCO

Has anyone tried using Life in AACT? I usually use the OGBiowar in my brews, but think I might give some life a shot.

Was thinking of adding this to my brew with caps as well, or some myco jordan after brewing for an extra dose of yum yums.

ill eagle

ill eagle

On the recirc hydro I would take run off of the HD cut it 2/3 with fresh water and dos it with +life at 1g/3al stir with a small mag drive pump keep it moving over night and feed. I had a few lazy days when I didn't feel like Changing rezs and did this instead. I've used compost teas and I would say it's the same with an added kick

SlabLabCO

SlabLabCO

On the recirc hydro I would take run off of the HD cut it 2/3 with fresh water and dos it with +life at 1g/3al stir with a small mag drive pump keep it moving over night and feed. I had a few lazy days when I didn't feel like Changing rezs and did this instead. I've used compost teas and I would say it's the same with an added kick
Notice anything off or gross, from reusing the run off brewed into tea?

Top Bottom