I’m Buying A Cheap Light, But Value Your Opinion.

• Thread starter Naturalx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Naturalx

Naturalx

To keep it short, my budget is limited. At $50CAD For 3.5 grams of legal marijuana I want to test the waters of growing at home. I want a 4x4 tent with four plants just to have some variety.

But due to my limited budget on this venture I have a few questions. If you were to buy cheap lights, there’s these three I’m considering. Just looking for an opinion on these cheaper lights and if you had to buy one which would it be?

Viparspectra 600w and then when I had money for a second I would add that to the tent.

There’s the meizhi but it seems like Viparspectra gets better reviews.

And the last one is an x6 1800w (300watt draw) by hao fst or XH grow. They are cheap cob leds.

https://www.amazon.com/Light,X6-Sun...+1800+watt&dpPl=1&dpID=41XE7omLvzL&ref=plSrch

315to420

I run the Viparspectra PAR 700 in a 2x4 tent with two plants, and recently added a low end Viparspectra $80 blurple for one end. I am unfamiliar with the rest, but I know the 600 will not be nearly enough for a tent that size. For a similar cost you could easily buy a 315w cmh kit that would work much better.

Naturalx

Naturalx

I run the Viparspectra PAR 700 in a 2x4 tent with two plants, and recently added a low end Viparspectra $80 blurple for one end. I am unfamiliar with the rest, but I know the 600 will not be nearly enough for a tent that size. For a similar cost you could easily buy a 315w cmh kit that would work much better.
I as thinking if I bought a 600w I would not grow four plants under it that I would reduce them by half, and then add another light down the road after my first grow etc

315to420

In that case, id say go for it. There are some drawbacks- largest being heat. I find it is a surprisingly hot running light fixture but its worked great for me for the past couple of years. No burn outs, very bright and produces extremely well for a low end led.

Naturalx

Naturalx

I as thinking if I bought a 600w I would not grow four plants under it that I would reduce them by half, and then add another light down the road after my first grow etc
Perfect. I just see veg only photos from these lights. I think my expectations are set quite low and I’d rather set everything else up properly because up scaling it isn’t expensive for rent size and everything else so if I really enjoy the venture into home growing indoors, because I will certainly be growing outdoors this summer I can upgrade my light fixture after that.

F

FutureGrower

I've said it alot here lately but even though I'm currently using LEDs and I wouldnt trade mine for DE hps setups, I would consider a de hps or cmh before the options you listed.

There are a few people with the viparspectras that have shared some pretty bloom shots so only because of that If i had to pick between the 3 that would be my vote.

But you're in Canada and I heard your electricity is pretty cheap so maybe shoot for the stars and see how that 1800 watt sucker does lol

Naturalx

Naturalx

I've said it alot here lately but even though I'm currently using LEDs and I wouldnt trade mine for DE hps setups, I would consider a de hps or cmh before the options you listed.

There are a few people with the viparspectras that have shared some pretty bloom shots so only because of that If i had to pick between the 3 that would be my vote.

But you're in Canada and I heard your electricity is pretty cheap so maybe shoot for the stars and see how that 1800 watt sucker does lol
Yeah, I think it’s $8/month for me to run the 1800w but it only draws 300 actual. But for the price I could buy two of those to the one Viparspectra, and they’re using Cree cobs in the unit itself there’s just not much info on people using them etc compared to the more popular garbage leds

F

FutureGrower

Yeah, I think it’s $8/month for me to run the 1800w but it only draws 300 actual. But for the price I could buy two of those to the one Viparspectra, and they’re using Cree cobs in the unit itself there’s just not much info on people using them etc compared to the more popular garbage leds

They run a mixture of epistar and bridgelux(pretty sure) but the epistar dont hold up very long.

Growster240

Growster240

I second what 315to420 said.

And a lot of people seem to like the Vipar, I guess it is a good lamp to start with. As you progress into the coming grows you could always supplement it with light that has different characteristics or that cover spots that the Vipar won't reach.

The X6 Sunshine lamp says that it has a 300w draw, the Meizhi at 277w, and the Vipar has 260w. While at 18" distance, the Vipar and Meizhi claims around 800ppfd, and the X6 claims 1970ppfd at the same distance.

I am not sure to what extent we can trust the numbers that different brands claims. All I know is that we generally get what we pay for.

I wish you the best in your premiere grow. Let us know what you pick and how the grow goes. If you are starting with 2 plants, you will most likely do alright with the Vipar. Either way, it will be a good experience :)

Oldmateslim

Oldmateslim

What light did you end up going with? If i were you for the cheap end leds the vipars are good! in a 4x4 you could easily run 4 of the 450s (200w draw) or 4 of the 300s (135w) one for each plant. My friend is starting a 2x2 and im recommended a 450 for his 1 plant as I have had great sucess with them. The mars are no where near as good for price imo.

Oldmateslim

Oldmateslim

Or a 100-200w cob each plant, the beauty of multiple fixtures is that of one goes you have others and you can move them to smaller tents or veg with them if you downgrade. I used to run 2 600w hps in my 8x4 and that was heaps but if you are set on leds and on a smaller scale the vipars go well and much better build quality than other cheap burple manufacturers

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I've recently been doing some research on a few low end LED. That Vipars is decent model for beginners, but just won't produce as a decent hps or CMH could. If you're not too concerned with electricity, hid lighting will out preform cheap LED.

I stumbled across this guy on YouTube that is testing different lights, considering a few key characteristics and has a list of lights that may give you something to consider.

Figure out your budget and herbal needs and plan accordingly.

Naturalx

Naturalx

Or a 100-200w cob each plant, the beauty of multiple fixtures is that of one goes you have others and you can move them to smaller tents or veg with them if you downgrade. I used to run 2 600w hps in my 8x4 and that was heaps but if you are set on leds and on a smaller scale the vipars go well and much better build quality than other cheap burple manufacturers
I went with 2x 600W Viparspectras. So far they're doing great.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I went with 2x 600W Viparspectras. So far they're doing great.
For a low end LED that would have been my choice. It was that or I was gonna suggest one of the marshydro reflector series. You have a grow diary set up yet? If like to watch this light in action.

Naturalx

Naturalx

For a low end LED that would have been my choice. It was that or I was gonna suggest one of the marshydro reflector series. You have a grow diary set up yet? If like to watch this light in action.
I do Not. I’ve been saving all of the logs on my computer just need to get it going

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Meizhi for a decent low end light with GOOD CS!
They even put the REAL draw on the light itself!
I sold mine when I went the white light route.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Forgot, a few years back, Vipar was busted for using a bogus ROHS label..Why; because they spelled it wrong, and it was uncovered when the light caught FIRE! (a post on Grass City last yr).

Naturalx

Naturalx

Forgot, a few years back, Vipar was busted for using a bogus ROHS label..Why; because they spelled it wrong, and it was uncovered when the light caught FIRE! (a post on Grass City last yr).
There was a point where I worried about that, but they really do have a ton of positive reviews on amazon and after speaking with them directly they respond very fast, very helpful. While it’s scary to think of a light catching fire mistakes happen. It could happen with almost anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom