I Accidentally Grew Purple Bud!!!

• Thread starter StandingRock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dan789

Dan789

Actually Mother Nature took care of me on that, during my winter grow. That being said temps didn't get below 60. Added heat as necessary to avoid dipping below 60.

Dan789

Dan789

It is some dank AF indica. My neighbor came by and let me know that I was advertising how dank. Ordered a new "phat charcoal (24lb) filter, cleaned up the "odor". Totally stealthy for the remainder of the grow. Neighbor that knows is trippen that I'm grow'n, but cool and legit. Living in the burbs, living the life. Loving Life. Peace.

Dan789

Dan789

Hey Outlaw, welcome. Where are my manners? Hope you'll get all that I've benefited from this site. Couldn't be happier or in fact higher, (maybe not) right now. Peace

Dan789

Dan789

Brother, start reading some of the threads in the indoor growing section. So much information here, you could do so for some time and learn a lot. Good luck.

Outlaw og

Outlaw og

Brother, start reading some of the threads in the indoor growing section. So much information here, you could do so for some time and learn a lot. Good luck.
I thinking of doing a purple coloured strain and wanna find a purple colour anyone no any

Tardbuster

Tardbuster

Lots of strains actually are purple /black/blue when lights and Temps mock natural season change. (slow fades into fall settings, cold and crisp w less and less light.

The green buds are not really what we want. The plant doesn't know and the breeder has bred for early development, and customers like bright green buds so... People just forgetting how it used to be. "vine ripened", or buried in the dirt if it wasn't. The

colors aint gonna change under summer light at the end of cycle.. The old veg-flower arrangement. Early flower and harvest should be different, like in nature.. Germ-veg-flower-harvest. Cant rush the harvest by trying to get more flower. Fade the nutes, fade the lights, fade the temp. Everything. Too much unripe greenbud in the world ;)

Last edited:
StandingRock

StandingRock

Lots of strains actually are purple /black/blue when lights and Temps mock natural season change. (slow fades into fall settings, cold and crisp w less and less light.
The green buds are not really what we want. The plant doesn't know and the breeder has bred for early development, and customers like bright green buds so... People just forgetting how it used to be. "vine ripened", or buried in the dirt if it wasn't. The

colors aint gonna change under summer light at the end of cycle.. The old veg-flower arrangement. Early flower and harvest should be different, like in nature.. Germ-veg-flower-harvest. Cant rush the harvest by trying to get more flower. Fade the nutes, fade the lights, fade the temp. Everything. Too much unripe greenbud in the world ;)

Excellent post. I'd love to see some pictures of your ripened buds. I'm using cmh on my current grow and it's definitely ripening just from the light. I'm excited to drop temperatures and nutrients next week.

Irish063

Irish063

I need advice and stuff so hope people can help
Welcome. Like @Dan789 said, this site has definitely a ton of information. I have found myself reading a lot of threads just based on the title to see what people had to say from experience. This place has been super helpful as well.
As far as purple strains. I grew GDP last year, but didn't know it until after. IT was my first grown and I just got some clones from someone I had met. Talking to him later on I found out what I had. My leaves turned purple and it smelled like grape/wine but the bud itself wasn't purple. However, looking back I think I may have chopped it a little early.
Good Luck man.

xenon730

xenon730

The truth about genetic purpling has nothing to do with phosphorous lockout and that's a common cannabis myth. When a leaf is in action and full of nutrients it appears green because the chlorophyll concentration overpowers/outcrowds any other colors and the leaf and buds appear green. There are compounds that create color in food and flower. Purple to red are called anthocyanins. When you flush your plant and lower the temperatures to approximately 60° at night, the plant creates anthocyanins in the leaf and the flushing rids it of much of its chlorophyll content and so the purple comes through. Without the cold temperature the plant doesn't create the anthocyanins and the leaves will be yellow.

To op, you made it purple with the lower temperatures and it showed when you flushed the plant. Anthocyanins can cause plants or buds to appear anywhere from purple to red and pink. I have found that it takes longer for red to show. If i age my purple cuts long the oldest calyxes are red as opposed to purple. The sensi seeds article outlines this also. Phosphorous lockout would never just turn things purple without other major affects. Scientifically, it's not logical and doesn't make sense that that would be causing the purpling at all. The truth is what make beets, plums, and blueberries their color, anthocyanins. Lastly, it requires cold air temperatures on the leaves, not the roots. You don't actually lockout phosphorous when purpling a plant. In hydro you would keep your water temperature the same and only lower the ambient temperature, heating the water if you have to. The idea that totally locking out phosphorous during flowering would cause ONLY purpling and not stunted, unhealthy foliage and buds is absurd.

Last edited:
StandingRock

StandingRock

The truth about genetic purpling has nothing to do with phosphorous lockout and that's a common cannabis myth. When a leaf is in action and full of nutrients it appears green because the chlorophyll concentration overpowers/outcrowds any other colors and the leaf and buds appear green. There are compounds that create color in food and flower. Purple to red are called anthocyanins. When you flush your plant and lower the temperatures to approximately 60° at night, the plant creates anthocyanins in the leaf and the flushing rids it of much of its chlorophyll content and so the purple comes through. Without the cold temperature the plant doesn't create the anthocyanins and the leaves will be yellow.

To op, you made it purple with the lower temperatures and it showed when you flushed the plant. Anthocyanins can cause plants or buds to appear anywhere from purple to red and pink. I have found that it takes longer for red to show. If i age my purple cuts long the oldest calyxes are red as opposed to purple. The sensi seeds article outlines this also. Phosphorous lockout would never just turn things purple without other major affects. Scientifically, it's not logical and doesn't make sense that that would be causing the purpling at all. The truth is what make beets, plums, and blueberries their color, anthocyanins. Lastly, it requires cold air temperatures on the leaves, not the roots. You don't actually lockout phosphorous when purpling a plant. In hydro you would keep your water temperature the same and only lower the ambient temperature, heating the water if you have to. The idea that totally locking out phosphorous during flowering would cause ONLY purpling and not stunted, unhealthy foliage and buds is absurd.

Excellent post. It's been a few grows since I posted this but you're exactly right. I have low night temperatures and was flushing.

Would you say if the last two weeks of flower I lower my air temps to 60, flush, and possibly warm the rootball to 75 degrees that I would get stronger purple colors?

Top Bottom