I am thankful VA finally saw the light

• Thread starter SkylineKeith
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SkylineKeith

SkylineKeith

Today I received some FF cal mag, cha ching, beastie bloomz, and open sesame. I guess I have a couple weeks more of veg.

next grow I will top after the fourth node and every two nodes on the sides. Does this sound about right?

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
next grow I will top after the fourth node and every two nodes on the sides. Does this sound about right?

That's what I was thinking for my next run as well. I'm happy with the training I did on this first run but I'd like to try something different.

Since you're going to be vegging a bit longer anyway have you given any thought to giving those main stem a nice, controlled, but still significant bend? Seems like that might further discourage apical growth and put some meat and height on your side stems.

Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

Today I received some FF cal mag, cha ching, beastie bloomz, and open sesame. I guess I have a couple weeks more of veg.

Careful with that stuff it's really hot and can easily cause burn. Also from my experience open sesame can cause herms

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
I was just looking over your tent pics and have some questions related to your grow.

Is your light at its max height and if not how much higher can it go?

I ask because now that I see how much total height you're working with I worry a bit about how these girls are going to look after more veg growth and then their flower stretch.

SkylineKeith

SkylineKeith

I probably have another 8-10 inch lift left. There are now a good 18-20 inches between the lights and tops but that is the recommendation for this far along veg about to flower. Probably another 8-10 days I'm thinking. Temps are steady mid 70's lights on at canopy and base...lights off its 70 steady. Humidity has been a concern so i got a mini de-humidifier for the tent. We shall see...

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
I don't know man. If your lights are currently at the recommended height, and you have 10 inches of additional headroom, AND your plants are likely to double in size or more after flip... well, this seems like a potential problem. Not one without solutions but something you might want to think about. It would be really nice to get a more experienced growers perspective on this though.

I hesitate to speak up on stuff like this because the last thing I want is to cause any grower unnecessary anxiety because an total beginner like myself thought the sky was falling. I only bring it up because I'm growing some very Indica dominant plants that are known to be short and bushy, but even their stretch after flip surprised me. Your plants look nothing like mine so I'm wondering if they'll end up growing more like a typical Sativa, i.e. taller.

Edit: Would it be possible for you to post a full pic of the inside of your tent top to bottom? That might help the expects should they choose to weigh in.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Yep, Plants can, and often double in size during the stretch period. And you still need 18-24" between light and plant. I flip the plant around 18" tall. Try not to run out of ht. Many ways to do it.

Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

A light meter will help a lot with height issues. They get too tall just dim the light until you get the ppfd you're after on the canopy

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

Plants look good !
How do you like the plastic bags?
I might use them this winter for the ones that will go outside next year. Seems like it be easier to transplant just cutting the bags open?

SkylineKeith

SkylineKeith

The bags work great, however I plan on buying fabric because they look like they would be easier to transport

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

The fabric are nice, I saw a great hack here. Put them into milk crates if your going to move them around a lot. That way your not disturbing the roots as much.
Works great !
As for your headroom issue - these pix are the ones I flipped too late - had no choice but to put them out of the GR.
Lesson learned !!!
Their out in the shade to temper now. And all I can do is 🤞🙏🤞
Side note, PPMs matter !
these plants are all the same the difference in size is from un controlled build up and lockout. The ones on either side had runoff over 13k !!
learning how to water correctly is the hardest part of the grow. There’s great info here on how to do it per the different media’s .
Back to headroom - in the past out doors I would bend the plant over a tie the top down, the branches will turn up. Beats chopping anymore off at this point IMO.
2CF45B21 B7B3 447E 999C 9C0DFE478A5C
B6F88F34 885B 4377 94FB 16B520AB621A

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Just to clarify because I believe we were talking past each other, FF Ocean forest is organic soil. So yes I am growing in organic soil. Also, I could use some help with pruning and net restraint? My nodes are out of control and I need to defoliate a little
Just to clarify, FFOF is not organic soil because it's not LIVING. It does not have the necessary enzymes, bacteria and microbes to successfully grow a plant from start to finish with nothing but water. That is how Organic soil is supposed to be defined, not with a sticker someone in shipping is paid minimum wage to slap on the bags.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Thanks for the clarification on organic growing. I'm just learning thank you
No worries. We all started learning somewhere. Organics to me are a natural part of our life cycle and most junk they make to 'grow better, bigger, faster' is usually toxic one way or another. Organics is how we have grown since I was a kid. I remember the Dow Chem guy trying to talk my grandfather into using their stuff so we could have a better crop. My grandfather pointed to the farm next door and asked if they used the stuff. The guy got all happy and said, yeah! And they already harvested this year so they can relax! My grandfather picked up a handful of soil and told the guy, No, he can't rest because he has to rehab his dirt now from the stuff you put on it.

Since then, I have little taste for anything but organics. So I learned a bit. But in this forum are guys that are on a first name basis with dirt and how it interacts with everything. Real Soil Scientists. I'm learning from them too.

SkylineKeith

SkylineKeith

Yep, Plants can, and often double in size during the stretch period. And you still need 18-24" between light and plant. I flip the plant around 18" tall. Try not to run out of ht. Many ways to do it.
How would I do this?

Panhead59

Panhead59

Flip lights to 12/12 cycle before they get to big. Top and scrog (net), tie down branches to make plant wide instead of tall, among other ways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom