I Have 5 Different Strains But They All Smell The Same!?

• Thread starter Hamilton Ops
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hamilton Ops

New to the site, couldnt find any posting rules(albeit I didnt look terribly hard)
So apologies ahead of time if im busting any forum policies here.

Ok so as the title illsutrates, I have 5 strains currently and while they all smell vastly different during veg/flowering states my drying process and what not, they all SMELL pretty much identical once they're in a bag or jar.
- I typically trim my buds on the plant and cutt it at the base to hang upside down to dry anywhere from 3-5 days to what I call "cut and burn" dry enough i can chop it with scissors but not crunchy, fall apart in your fingers dry.
- After this i seperate the budds from the plant and place them in glass jars for a week mostly to make sure any moisture the buds still retain at this point is distrubuted relatively even through out all the bud.
(I use mason jars mostly but anything i have on hand thats glass and seals tight will suffice)
-At this point im usually bagging it up and storing it in my safe.

Ive been growing for about 9 years now and have always grown multiple strains. However it seems in recent years that no matter what im growin it all smells distinctly similar. At this point Im beginning to run short on ideas as to the cause- could it be the room i dry it in ? the temperature of the room itself?
I have dried in nearly everyroom of my house at this point and nothing yields different results.

H

Hamilton Ops

Is it moldy?
No they are definitely not moldy, I had mold once in a crop about 5 years ago - cleaned the room/repainted etc and disposed of my tables and got new ones. I've been super vigilant since then in regards to mold and haven't had any issues since. Its When the plants themselves are growing whether in veg or flowering the strains each have a unique smell- but once cut dried and bagged each strain smells basically all the same, the smell is kind of.. grassy ? Its as if all the smelly aromas i could smell when they were growing just evaporate when my bud is dried and ready to smoke.

xenon730

xenon730

do you flush? grassy smell is from excess nitrogen and chlorophyll in your final product which comes from overfeeding generally and/or a bad cure. as you cure them longer the smell should dissipate more. one week in a jar is a short cure and you're likely storing wet buds in the plastic and locking in that grass smell when it ends the cure.

you should also still answer my other question.

Bearfamfarm

Bearfamfarm

It is probably your drying process. If your getting great smells up till harvest. As you stated this is not your first rodeo so I am sure you have dried many times. But it is one of the most important steps and can easily get botched if not in a controlled environment. SoCal gets so hot and dry that I had to build a dedicated drying room because any room in the house would dry them too fast and end up smelling grassy or hay like. Now with a dedicated temp/rh controlled room have zero issues in a long time. 10-14 days and then trim and jar.
Good luck mate

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

New to the site, couldnt find any posting rules(albeit I didnt look terribly hard)
So apologies ahead of time if im busting any forum policies here.

Ok so as the title illsutrates, I have 5 strains currently and while they all smell vastly different during veg/flowering states my drying process and what not, they all SMELL pretty much identical once they're in a bag or jar.
- I typically trim my buds on the plant and cutt it at the base to hang upside down to dry anywhere from 3-5 days to what I call "cut and burn" dry enough i can chop it with scissors but not crunchy, fall apart in your fingers dry.
- After this i seperate the budds from the plant and place them in glass jars for a week mostly to make sure any moisture the buds still retain at this point is distrubuted relatively even through out all the bud.
(I use mason jars mostly but anything i have on hand thats glass and seals tight will suffice)
-At this point im usually bagging it up and storing it in my safe.

Ive been growing for about 9 years now and have always grown multiple strains. However it seems in recent years that no matter what im growin it all smells distinctly similar. At this point Im beginning to run short on ideas as to the cause- could it be the room i dry it in ? the temperature of the room itself?
I have dried in nearly everyroom of my house at this point and nothing yields different results.
Could be too fast and too dry.

H

Hamilton Ops

do you flush? grassy smell is from excess nitrogen and chlorophyll in your final product which comes from overfeeding generally and/or a bad cure. as you cure them longer the smell should dissipate more. one week in a jar is a short cure and you're likely storing wet buds in the plastic and locking in that grass smell when it ends the cure.

you should also still answer my other question.

Sorry must have scrolled past that post will have to get back to that one when im home from work but will do.
By flushing you mean crack them open once ina while to aerate? Yes i do, I'll admit I havent actually cured my bud more like ive jarred it up to make sure the moisture in the buds is even so typically after theyre cut down its roughly 13-15 days from cut down to bagging.At least 8 of those days are spent in a jar, which i open every 36 hours roughly for 5 minutes or so.

xenon730

xenon730

i mean flushing the plant at the end of its life and allowing it to yellow and "Autumn". most feed water with no nutrients for the last 3-14 days with about 7-14 days being most common. this basically lets the plant use up excess nutrients and sort of starts the cure. it its noticeable if you feed anywhere near what most growers do as excess feeding is very common. this is not necessarily an exact science so your opinion may change. all i say is, at least flush or feed one of them at the end because its easy and you will know if it's worthwhile to you.

my method of curing is very labor intensive(cannabis is my job) so i won't outline that but once your plants reach a certain level of dryness hanging or racked in the open they're moved to jars to balance the moisture like you already know. the loose ways to test is jar when thinner stems snap cleanly and open once a day for about 30-60 minutes and close again. without a meter this last one is hard but eventually you want to retain that moisture and so you only open for a few minutes to cycle the air and prevent mold. you can keep dry bud in an unopened jar for quite some time once it's thoroughly dry.

Leew421

Leew421

In my climate I dry in a tent and my temps are around 78-80 at a range of 40-50% rh. I hang whole plant with all leaves still on it for a week and it's good. Then I start trimming, all those leaves just protect the bud and slow it down. To check ready just bend on the stems from the leaves since they dry almost last. I get the best smell and flavor hands down this way.

william76

william76

I've found that quick drying in the jerky maker gives me stinkier stickier tastier buds
Yea but hes not using a dehydrator to do it tho,or it would be dry enuff to go in jars,jorge cervantes tells of a similar method in his bible,but he also says its not as good as a normal dry and cure,if your happy with it fair do,s but i can wait for mine to dry and cure,u wait months for to get all the lovely smells and tastes in the plant just for to rush 1 of the most important steps in the proscess no thanks!,also if quick drying really is that good everyone would be doing it.76

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Dude, post some pics of the buds. I've under dried over dried, cured doesn't fing matter all my strains always taste and smell different.
The only explanation is you fried the crop so bad it turned brown/ dead before harvest.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

You are jarring too soon. All you are doing is trapping the chlorophyll in the jars with the buds. Even a wet trim will require 5-7 days before attempting to jar . If you want to sweat your buds, take them out of the jar every 24 hours and let them breath.

Top Bottom