I have a dumb question about topping.

• Thread starter TheGreek_978
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheGreek_978

TheGreek_978

So I’ve topped before on my previous grow several times. On this new grow I’ve topped the main cola once already(Picture below) but my question is can I top the bottom bud sites (pic below) also or should I stick to just topping from the top.

thanks
I have a dumb question about topping
I have a dumb question about topping 2

Arkos

Arkos

There are no dumb question, only answers.

That pic is recent ? If so then you need to wait for the plant to grow more before topping it again imo.

I'd strip the lower growth for added air flow then top both those 2 side branches at the top in a couple of weeks.

growsince79

growsince79

I used to tell my kids- The only stupid question is the ones you already know the answer to.

I'd' let them grow a week or so and top the top again. Let the lower branches catch up to the tops. And get rid of the bottom ones.

mancorn

mancorn

No. When you top the plant you’re actually removing hormones (that are produced in the tip) that normally flow down through the plant and stop it from producing lateral growth. When the top growth tip is removed it breaks apical dominance, allowing side branches to grow more. This won’t happen on your bottom branches, so no point. (But if you don’t want those bottom branches you should remove them now instead of letting them grow and lop off later.)

Last edited:
Thunderstrut

Thunderstrut

If youre topping youd only want to top at the top after at least 5 nodes have formed. If you wanted to top again youd wait till at least 5 more nodes are created from the original top. If youre looking into topping multiple times id suggest just mainlining, other than that just top once or twice and be done with it.

Also, when you top, i like to leave a half inch stub there, cutting to close to the split can cause issues later on.

TheGreek_978

TheGreek_978

There are no dumb question, only answers.

That pic is recent ? If so then you need to wait for the plant to grow more before topping it again imo.

I'd strip the lower growth for added air flow then top both those 2 side branches at the top in a couple of weeks.
Ya I took the photo this afternoon. I was going to wait a few weeks anyways before the next top, but wasn’t sure if I could top those lower ones also to create more colas.

mancorn

mancorn

Probably not as big deal indoors (as your node spacing is normally fairly short), but I wouldn’t wait for 5 more nodes for the 2nd topping as your two new tops can create too much of a V shape, which can be a weak link down the road). I’d do the 2nd top above the new 2nd or 3rd node so everything grows out more even and sturdy.

03DEE8F4 7B00 4E41 9828 5FF76B1C79EE

growsince79

growsince79

Probably not as big deal indoors (as your node spacing is normally fairly short), but I wouldn’t wait for 5 more nodes for the 2nd topping as your two new tops can create too much of a V shape, which can be a weak link down the road). I’d do the 2nd top above the new 2nd or 3rd node so everything grows out more even and sturdy.

View attachment 1128750
+1

TerpiestToker420

TerpiestToker420

Anybody know if you top the plants after doing your first 3 mainlines will give you twice as many equal colas or will it just divert the energy into alote more smaller colas ? Haven't figured this one out myself yet

Arkos

Arkos

Anybody know if you top the plants after doing your first 3 mainlines will give you twice as many equal colas or will it just divert the energy into a lot more smaller colas ?
Just been through a run where I had to cut the plants multiple times to gain headroom, the colas are a little thinner then usual but still it's pretty decent and better than I expected tbh, maybe try it on 1 plant and see how it does vs the others.

Ghosttrainx

Ghosttrainx

The best way is to cut out the centre not tip it cut a clone size top out
First pic is if u justed nip the tip but if if cut 3 inches out it will be like this in second pic
So in 3 rd pic is top view so it's like turning 1 plant into 8 as it grows out side way and wire down the branches as it opens up alot more then nipping the top 👻🚂😜🎱

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
oh good! i have a dumb answer! we should share!

top from the top, not the sides.

interestingly enough, there is an ongoing study in canada about whether it is the total distance from the root, or the split or the main node that is the most critical in getting even canopies; mainlining. i always like the idea of side by sides, try one! see what happens, it wont stop life as we know it, so should be ok.

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

Yes so I have topped my sweat helmet. I also started fimming the bottom sets of leaves. It is definitely making it more bushy. I also noticed if you just tickle the new growth it stimulates the plant to grow in those spots from my observations.

IMG 20210527 082807 801
IMG 20210527 082807 871
IMG 20210527 082807 885
TerpiestToker420

TerpiestToker420

Yes so I have topped my sweat helmet. I also started fimming the bottom sets of leaves. It is definitely making it more bushy. I also noticed if you just tickle the new growth it stimulates the plant to grow in those spots from my observations.

TerpiestToker420

TerpiestToker420

Those look really good to me. Good job. I know their is a fine line between bushy and too bushy just gotta find that sweet spot.
Thanks man they're getting there... I have some mainlined girls a month in veg might flip them for a week to 12/12 then throw them outdoors so they can beast out and reveg I guess thats how people get the monsters but kinda freaked out about getting hermans by doing that

Latest posts

Top Bottom