I have built some crazy leds

• Thread starter BudgetGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BudgetGrower

Are you hanging in your grow tent? You do turn the lights off......?

Nice crop. :)

In the flower room I have 5 plants, about 10 days in flower, the buds are hanging above some leds at one end but they are turned off,
The amount of light above the leds is very low, not in a good place with temperatures outside, its 25c and in my shed its 28c/65%(10am)
its that time of the year, could hit 30c outside today but with all the lights off is should be cooler around 27c

back to cooler temps next week, I might get 20 days per year that hit 25c (checked on google)

B

BudgetGrower

Close picture of a bud
2023 06 25 101634219

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
In the flower room I have 5 plants, about 10 days in flower, the buds are hanging above some leds at one end but they are turned off,
The amount of light above the leds is very low, not in a good place with temperatures outside, its 25c and in my shed its 28c/65%(10am)
its that time of the year, could hit 30c outside today but with all the lights off is should be cooler around 27c

back to cooler temps next week, I might get 20 days per year that hit 25c (checked on google)
Can you find an air conditioned room, a dark, cooler closet to hang/dry in? I know it's not easy......

B

BudgetGrower

Can you find an air conditioned room, a dark, cooler closet to hang/dry in? I know it's not easy......
I wish I could but I also need to control the odor, there could be 20oz's
Can't really bring it In the house and hang it in my front room, the whole road would stink in 2-3 hours

I have often thought about 2 part ac unit, but it will look odd on the side of My shed, really can't see much choice, I live in the south east of the UK

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I wish I could but I also need to control the odor, there could be 20oz's
Can't really bring it In the house and hang it in my front room, the whole road would stink in 2-3 hours

I have often thought about 2 part ac unit, but it will look odd on the side of My shed, really can't see much choice, I live in the south east of the UK
Oh..........if it's anything like the south east of the US.......well, I'm truly sorry...... ;)

Yeah believe me I understand it's hard to find a good space without it being one problem or another. You know, just not too much light on it, but once it dries it'll be a little easier. First world problems. ;)

B

BudgetGrower

Oh..........if it's anything like the south east of the US.......well, I'm truly sorry...... ;)

Yeah believe me I understand it's hard to find a good space without it being one problem or another. You know, just not too much light on it, but once it dries it'll be a little easier. First world problems. ;)
In the summer you get the heat and in the winter low humidity, its all part of the fun
Talking about fun I am starting to build my new lights today, still not sure what I will end up with.
I need to have lots of forced air on the bulbs but more air flow equals less light spread
starting to think more about trim the panel down to 35cm, trying to keep the weight down the bulb and lap holder weighs 92 grams
so the led with the 8 bulbs could weight 2kg

B

BudgetGrower

Still Waiting for my part to turn up but I have built some of the led, placed a 120mm pc fan on top(still need to cut the 114mm hole)
20230625 142920
20230625 142907
20230625 142852
and layed the bulb holder out so I can see what it's going to look like, still needs to be sanded and painted

B

BudgetGrower

20230625 215230

The results are good and I may need to start the light 18" above the canopy(start of flower) based on lux x 0.015(videos on youtube, lux to par)
@flodiy was 100% right, the bulbs have dropped about 15-20% and this could increase the life span by 3-4 times(every 10% drop, it double the life of the bulb)
But removing one of the resisters and using the fan is likely to drop the temperature another 10-15c
Getting the temps down to 40c would be ideal, 55c(max) is on the warm side, but I have seen the bulbs hit well over 80c on a hot day(bedroom)
With no airflow.

So based on using one lights for each large plant, 5 in a room, the results would be amazing

the biggest problem is they take hours to build but I will me making one with 15 bulbs, resister removed and this will be a light that will last years, the fan in the middle give the plants the perfect amount of air flow.

If you had a room 50cm x 50cm x 1.2m, this would be the best light you get, because adding a fan to a small room is very difficult to get a good even airflow at the canopy level, could be done one small fan in each corner but it's a pain to set up

Very happy with the results

B

BudgetGrower

Back the crazy 🤪 light
Things are going really well and I plants have stopped stretching, 24 days in flower(12/12)

I have extended the room by a 2ft and the plants are more centered
Because they where getting too tall

I have thinned the canopy out so the light is getting deep in the canopy(just over 2ft with the taller plants) the spread of the light and the canopy being a little sparce will alow light very deep in the canopy, some of the shoots could become cola over 18" long.

B

BudgetGrower

I have been working on the bulb diffuser and the results are improving, I have reduced the spread even more, but with my 8 bulb led the centre was hitting 57,000 would be great to get this down to 50,000 and increase the light directly below the bulbs and this is how I am getting on.

strider26554

strider26554

Thanks, that was the idea behind the half dome led, I love your setup and the other day I was looking at the led bars, because I want buy one in about 3 weeks time for my other flower room(1m x 2.2m) and set it up just like you have done, I would like to grow 5 plants in a line, would like the center a good 12"- 18" higher than the sides.
So I can have long vertical growth.

Could have 4 x 4ft x 2ft panels
2 in a line(7ft long) 45% and the other side( 2 in a line 7ft)135% with 12" space in the center(row of fans, 2 or 3 12" floor fans)

The plant canopy may only be 70cm wide but the buds could grow 2-3ft high.
Wow, its amazing that so many on here are doing the same thing i am, i kind of experiment along as i go but i had such a problem with budworms and other pests last year i am doing more indoors, and while my go to light system is cmh hid, i have been buying led bulbs and modifying them to do exactly what you are doing, and, i have a new breakthrough , thanx to walmart, god it kills me to plug them but it made a huge difference. they sell a bulb that 33watts runs on 290 Ma produces around 4500 lumens and actually almost lives up to that rating, these bulbs also have a color select switch on each bulb so, either 2700, 4000, or 5000k they are so versitile that i have reworked a bunch of my setups, they are made by feit electric and im sure other suppliers have them, the cost is around 12.99 each. and so far i have about 300 of them, and not one has burned out or malfunctioned, now i have removed the diffusers on most of them except for a designated small veg room.and theyve all stood up to the abuse. good looking out sharing your knowledge and experience.

strider26554

strider26554

Wow, its amazing that so many on here are doing the same thing i am, i kind of experiment along as i go but i had such a problem with budworms and other pests last year i am doing more indoors, and while my go to light system is cmh hid, i have been buying led bulbs and modifying them to do exactly what you are doing, and, i have a new breakthrough , thanx to walmart, god it kills me to plug them but it made a huge difference. they sell a bulb that 33watts runs on 290 Ma produces around 4500 lumens and actually almost lives up to that rating, these bulbs also have a color select switch on each bulb so, either 2700, 4000, or 5000k they are so versitile that i have reworked a bunch of my setups, they are made by feit electric and im sure other suppliers have them, the cost is around 12.99 each. and so far i have about 300 of them, and not one has burned out or malfunctioned, now i have removed the diffusers on most of them except for a designated small veg room.and theyve all stood up to the abuse. good looking out sharing your knowledge and experience.
Removing the ONE resistor was the key in controlling the heat build up also insted of using a wood product that contains themal mass,ive opted for using a matte vinyle sheeting i found at a big box stor, i drill holes in it to accomidate the light sockets and many additional holes to increase airflow, the fans i have been using are the cheap 8 inch turbo fans they sell at dollar stores everywhere, i wire them to a thermostat but they run constantly.

B

BudgetGrower

That's great to meet another grower that uses light bulbs, unlucky with the outdoor crops, the bulbs at Walmart sound really good, but I live in the UK so i can't buy the walmart bulbs, I used hid for a long time and it took me a lot to change over to led bulbs, at first i used them for a small veg area, the results where amazing and I used half the watts to get better results, so I start adding to my flower room with the HPS, after a few crop the HPS ended up around a friends house lol

The light spread with the reflectors vs no reflector is the same over 46cm
the results are really good.

Light chart

In the video above, their was about 10" between the bulb and the meter

B

BudgetGrower

Just keeping notes on here
After 30 minutes in the bed room no airflow the bulb reached 84c and the power draw dropped from 13.3w down to 12.8w.
20230627 204122

The bulbs in the veg room with good airflow are 60c after being on for hours.

cleanreid

cleanreid

View attachment 1999250View attachment 1999251

The results are good and I may need to start the light 18" above the canopy(start of flower) based on lux x 0.015(videos on youtube, lux to par)
@flodiy was 100% right, the bulbs have dropped about 15-20% and this could increase the life span by 3-4 times(every 10% drop, it double the life of the bulb)
But removing one of the resisters and using the fan is likely to drop the temperature another 10-15c
Getting the temps down to 40c would be ideal, 55c(max) is on the warm side, but I have seen the bulbs hit well over 80c on a hot day(bedroom)
With no airflow.

So based on using one lights for each large plant, 5 in a room, the results would be amazing

the biggest problem is they take hours to build but I will me making one with 15 bulbs, resister removed and this will be a light that will last years, the fan in the middle give the plants the perfect amount of air flow.

If you had a room 50cm x 50cm x 1.2m, this would be the best light you get, because adding a fan to a small room is very difficult to get a good even airflow at the canopy level, could be done one small fan in each corner but it's a pain to set up

Very happy with the results
Dude can we see what they look like
Just keeping notes on here
After 30 minutes in the bed room no airflow the bulb reached 84c and the power draw dropped from 13.3w down to 12.8w.
View attachment 1999915

The bulbs in the veg room with good airflow are 60c after being on for hours.
hey I have that same thermometer what temp should the tops of my plants be at do you know or rather what could I do with that thermometer check my light bulb temp of course but could it be useful for me I’m waiting on one to put inside just might be a few weeks

Last edited:
B

BudgetGrower

Dude can we see what they look like

hey I have that same thermometer what temp should the tops of my plants be at do you know or rather what could I do with that thermometer check my light bulb temp of course but could it be useful for me I’m waiting on one to put inside just might be a few weeks
Its a very useful tool, you can check the canopy (leaf temperature(want between 22c -30c) in different places in the grow room, check the soil temperature.
you can also use it to find cold/hot spots on the walls, corner in your grow room, you want to avoid hot/cold spots( intake air, heater can cause this)

B

BudgetGrower

I still need to trim the buds up a little more, ones in the 2.2m x 1m, I pushed to one side for the last 2 week for the new crop lol(new crop took about 70cm x 1m)

5 days later, most the buds are dry and they taking up most the veg room, they weigh at just over 22oz's
20230629 183749

Good result, and the plants in the flower room are nearly 2ft high(without the pots)
I will have to spread them out at the weekend and remove the old pots

And most the clones rooted, about 5-10 days in veg
20230629 183922

I take lots of cutting and keep the best that root, really don't cost anything to root cuttings.

B

BudgetGrower

Been checking the reflectors and the bulbs etc today and thinking 🤔 about Migro video,(led bulb 1.78 umols per watt without the reflector) going to be well over 2.2 with the reflector.

I removed a resister from each of the 8 bulbs and spaced out the bulb holder
20230701 201633
20230701 201648

And this would make a good veg light, total Watts, (including the fan)51 watt
12" above the meter(Centre) 24,500lux and 16,500 lux sides
Works out 250umols (side) 381umols(centre)
Not the most powerful veg light but I think this will be fine
Max bulb temperature 41c(room temperature 25c), so this is running cool 😎
This will last forever, really amazing results imo, so I have brought over 100 bulbs.

Top Bottom