I have some questions about watering.

• Thread starter Hashhead710
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hashhead710

I think the leaves are curling because I over watered, so I haven't been watering as much. So I need to know when I should be watering them. And how often should I use nutrients? I have been using it every other watering. What're you're thoughts. Thank you.

I have some questions about watering
H

Hashhead710

When should I start using the nutes again? Will those leaves stay curled or will they flatten out?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think the leaves are curling because I over watered, so I haven't been watering as much. So I need to know when I should be watering them. And how often should I use nutrients? I have been using it every other watering. What're you're thoughts. Thank you.
That does not appear to be an overwatering issue. The crinkling I see tends to be related to pH parameters. Also, IME that kind of curl is often the result of a bit of heavy feeding, usually N+.
Word. The nutes I use are dr. Earth organic 7-2-2
Hm, what form? This is a brand I use regularly/often and I've never once seen it do this. I use the dry ferts. And that amount of N is not too much (unless it's seriously overapplied), again IME.

I'd pay closer attention to pH of water/feed going in here, and in fact I'll suggest doing a slurry test on the media to see what's going on there, because most of what I'm seeing appears to be related to pH.

Patanjali

Patanjali

Agree not over watering issue. However, I do think it is an over-fertilization. I'm wondering if you are getting excessive nitrogen from wet/dry watering cycles. Add a layer of mulch to hold the moisture in, and keep the top 2" of soil moist without water logging the soil. Throw the pH pens away, this is the organic section. ;)

Peace!
P-

straincreation

straincreation

To much N bud. Sea has got you covered up there.
Happy farmin;)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Agree not over watering issue. However, I do think it is an over-fertilization. I'm wondering if you are getting excessive nitrogen from wet/dry watering cycles. Add a layer of mulch to hold the moisture in, and keep the top 2" of soil moist without water logging the soil. Throw the pH pens away, this is the organic section. ;)

Peace!
P-
You think that's possible, even with the Dr. Earth he's using? I've never seen something like that from any of the mixes of theirs I've used. That + the crinkling make me think pH parameters are way out of whack.

Last edited:
H

Hashhead710

I have been using distilled water because I have yet to get a pH meter. What is the pH of distilled?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It *should* be a neutral pH of 7. That said, IME it's generally in the 6s.

First, what do you have to measure pH? Digital meter, colorimetric drops, litmus paper...?

H

Hashhead710

I don't have anything to measure pH that's wh I use distilled

urban1026835

urban1026835

You think that's possible, even with the Dr. Earth he's using? I've never seen something like that from any of the mixes of theirs I've used. That + the crinkling make me think pH parameters are way out of whack.
could it be from the ph making n too available while locking out others?

Patanjali

Patanjali

I fuckin' LOVE liver!

Ime that kind of leaf wrinkle is from too many soluble nutrients in the solution. That plant looks vibrant green. From what I have seen pH problems generally manifest with yellowing, necrosis, abnormal purple stems, etc due to trace minerals not being available.

But then again I quit measuring pH long ago. ;)

could it be from the ph making n too available while locking out others?
I would think not. A deficiency I would expect to show as a deficiency, not as an overdose of another nutrient. Especially since Mg is needed for photosynthesis. However, I'm often wrong.

With respect,
P-

Last edited:
Patanjali

Patanjali

dude, go to petco or walmart and at least buy the ph tester kit in aquarium dept. test vial with dropper. 5$

distilled water is void of any minerals or buffers, so the PH swings very rapidly. tap water at 7 is more stable than distilled at 7 due to no buffer.

once nutes are added you might be at 5.
And what exactly is that going to tell us? That the run off of the soil is a certain pH? With This has absolutely nothing to do with what's going on in the rhizosphere. This is organic gardening, not hydrostore myth. Unless you have things really out of whack, the soil food web will take care of the soil pH. If you are dumping pH up and down, chems, etc on your soil and killing off your microherd, then you are a slave to the bottle.

P-

straincreation

straincreation

what am i chopped liver?
No
what am i chopped liver?
No offence meant bro,your on point . Sea just got my attention, i was pretty baked, but when i see sea name i always wann see what she has to say she spits straight knowledge, experienced or not, always something new to learn. So ya just came back to visit this thread thought that was the funniest shit. So no offence toward ya man ++vibes always.
Happy farmin;)

Sorry to get off subject. So i didnt see anyone ask most likely not, but heres a shot.
Did you happen to foliar spray with anything? Anything at all? How is she doin now hows the the new growth? Did you flush at all? My distilled comes out at 8.4 so that is fucking redonckulious. Add a little citric acid and phosphoric acid. Like 1ml p gal.

Really if your gonna flush. Squeeze a half a lemon in that bitch. Go ancient on it.
What Patanjali said about the rhizo is valid. The microbes in your soil should keep ph in check. If you have a proper soil. As a beginner he probably does not have the soil that has these capabilities.
He probly has some out of the bag stuff, no additives , no micro life besides the suff in a bottle, no ammendments besides what it ships with. Which makes your soil a "slave to the bottle" as he said ^^ in order to fulfill the plants needs. Nothing wrong with it but you may as well go with promix or something along that lines if your gonna go that route IME.

Your plant looked nice at one point its blatantly obvious. , i know your eager to see growth, so as a beginner you say its not growing fast enough ill dump these ferts in it. Out of the bag soil has some ammendments. Not much but some, your plant will live just fine in it for a while which makesnit tricky. You will want to dump fertz on fertz so excess begins, then abundance problems begin. So just chill let your plants tell you when there hungry. You will know. Trust me if you love her like i think you do you will know. So just keep at it and you will succeed. BOL!
Happy farmin;)

Patanjali

Patanjali

im not sure new farmers should skip past learning about PH and its effects. Or at least understanding what your source water is PH and PPM wise.
pH and ppm are only relevant in extreme situations - meaning your water is totally jacked. Water is the life force of your plant. Why would you feed it anything except quality water and inputs? Test your water once if you think there is a problem. If it's that bad, get an RO system, otherwise, don't worry about it. The soil food web will keep pH in order. Mulch is essential in organic growing. Growing without it greatly increases the chances of watering problems and therefore pH problems/nutrient deficiencies. Adding acids and bases is the dog chasing the tail imo.

I agree with staincreation. Probably not a good soil to begin with. Get the components to build a good soil, wash off as much of the crappy soil as possible, and transplant. I shoot for foliage that looks more like this:

Veg

Peace,
P-

Last edited:
Top Bottom