I miss my 3 part! But Canna & H&G taste better...

• Thread starter Green Mopho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Okay, so I've been on House and Garden for about 6 months now, and I think its quality stuff and grows some good herb, so long as you tinker with it and use most if not all of the whole line, along with a few other things. But it does grow noticeably leafier plants, and I have less control as far as base nutes for dialing in the needs of particular strains. I miss my GH 3-part, I just wish a company could imitate their formula but made with more refined salts from better sources (i.e. free of heavy metals, urea, ammonia, and rock phosphates). Why can't Canna or H&G make a line where they separate all of the Micro into one part, and then leave you a similar Grow and Bloom part. I feel like the 3 part formula with control over N, P, and Micro are just instinct for me as far as dialing in strains and yields. I really have to use my brain when I mix my nutes using H&G...

Any ideas?

K

kushtrees

I feel your pain Im trying to do the same thing with HG but it its tough....I will be watching this closely

justsomeguy

justsomeguy

yeah i'm on house and garden and i love the quality but do notice a lot more leaf. but i didn't incoroporate bud xl on the first run and didn't pick it up until week 6 or 7 of of the last run. seems to help with leaf a little bit. i've never used a 3 part, but i know i have too much leaf production at late stages with h and g. super clean and tasty bud though so what are you gonna do? leaf is pretty much my only problem with h&g so im running it against dutch masters this time to see if there is any improvement without losing flavor. my hydro guy says the quality is practically identical and so far they are growing evenly. don't know how the leaf ratio will turn out though.

oldirtybastard

oldirtybastard

Im running H&G sample pack on my Tahoes this round... Im using the Soil A+B and they don't seem leafy like others have stated. Im running the base at 6mlA-9mlB with about 2.5-5ml Calmag and on my 4th week of flowering, they seem to be doing pretty good.. Im also using Big Bud and Snow Storm Ultra with the whole H&G lineup and plan on subing lemon gatorade for budcandy to see how the end results are. I never ended up running the Soil ab in veg so maybe that's the reason for the non leafy buds. Im still only in mid 4th week just about to be starting the Bud XL. Ill let everyone in on the results when I get further to harvest. ~ODB~

A

Axias

Sounds like you want some shift away from the nitrogen if you're getting too much leaf. I'll assume your temp and humi are good, as they would be the culprit if you're getting too many 3 finger leaves and such.

If it is your nutrients: You could simply run a light pk booster with your base nute cut to provide lower overall N relative to PK.

HeLLMuTT

HeLLMuTT

Thinks of Stinks
Supporter
I love my H&G! Can't say I see extra leafiness but I will agree on the smooth white ash burning herbs it makes. Drip clean is the shit! No extra salts at all.

I truly believe H&G is the best engineered nute line on the market... Look who started it and his resume. ;)

I have gotten very good with feeding it. For sure when flowering slowly cut out the A part to pull the nitrogen while blasting the pk. During veg you can add silica and a fulvic. A lot of people seem to burn their plants with shooting powder... Well heads up that shit is hot and gives ya some dense nuggets I'd go easy on that stuff. You can also use a different flowering additive If ya want.

My run after next will be mostly H&G with a "tweak" to the flowering, should be good.
:harvest:

true grit

true grit

Interesting, to me i always find canna/HG grown buds to have more of a sweet flavor/smell compared to other salty nutes. AN does the same somewhat, but after growing the same cuts in organics vs. salts i can most def say IMO these nutes are engineered pretty well and do bring out a different terpene complex in buds (just not my cup).

How does AN 3pt stack to GH 3pt? Im pretty much done with chem ferts now, but do think i have an idea what you are talking about. Used AN 3pt, AB and Connie and saw little difference between them other than Connie being more heavily chelated and 2pt like ab...

G

GettinHeadband

Great to hear results with house&garden have been like that. I'm looking for a potent, and flavorable alternative to advanced nutes.

oldirtybastard

oldirtybastard

^^ You can hit up their guest service center and they will send you a sample pack free of charge. There customer service is one of the best in the industry also. Very pleased with the samples they sent me along with there service.. Give em a try. ~ODB~

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I am a 5-week newby to H&G myself, and man, have I ever noticed the leaf production. I vegged with straight FloraNova grow. By the time they were ready to flip, I had beautiful girls- and they were fed at 900 ppm of FloraNova Grow. When I switched them into the bloom room (and H&G), my EC was 1.4, and I managed to "claw" the girls somewhat. That H&G is hot stuff, for sure. I read somewhere than the chelated iron they use makes the nutrients instantly available.
In an case, I dropped the dosage of A and B a little, especially A. I'm now using the the A at a 2/3 dosage of B (per 5 gal: 20 ml "A" and 30 ml "B") and the plants are LOVING it.
I am very impressed with H&G so far. It is expensive to purchase the whole lineup, but in the long run, it's cheaper than most other nutrient lines, if you look at the dosages.

Anyone have any tips for me? I am not going to use the shooting powder until I have a run or two under my belt with these nutes.
My biggest concern is that my Lemon Skunk is nitrogen sensitive. She claws in a heartbeat, but the meds she yields are worth the finicky bitch. I'd just like to be able to cut down the nitrogen a little easier.

Venom818

Venom818

Interesting, to me i always find canna/HG grown buds to have more of a sweet flavor/smell compared to other salty nutes. AN does the same somewhat, but after growing the same cuts in organics vs. salts i can most def say IMO these nutes are engineered pretty well and do bring out a different terpene complex in buds (just not my cup).

How does AN 3pt stack to GH 3pt? Im pretty much done with chem ferts now, but do think i have an idea what you are talking about. Used AN 3pt, AB and Connie and saw little difference between them other than Connie being more heavily chelated and 2pt like ab...

i did a side by side with gh and advanced 3 part same shit bro ive even done the connie and it was no better that the 3 part and way over priced

true grit

true grit

i did a side by side with gh and advanced 3 part same shit bro ive even done the connie and it was no better that the 3 part and way over priced

Yeah, when I ran Connie it was most def better than the AN 3pt, but like you said not worth the price difference to me between the 2pt. Its heavily chelated and they ate that shit up too.

But compared to Canna i was running- AN was way easier on the pocket book since i had to use less to achieve same results and a lil less sweet imo...

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

I am doing H&G Cocos and after week 5 (on a 10 week strain) I've completely replaced the part A with Calplex, with pretty good results thus far. Some of the hungrier sativas def. yellowed a little a bit too soon, I could of just cut the part A to 1/4 strength, I think. Either way, its looking like its gonna flush real clean and yield pretty well without a lot of that extra leaf matter.

I'm just worried about using Calplex in my RDWC buckets, as it is a bit "organic" and likes to foam up a bit in the res.

Oh, and I won't use AN just out of principal. I don't care if they make a product that will make your plants grow bricks of gold, with diamond and pearl studded buds, I won't use that shit...

J

JCashman

Oh, and I won't use AN just out of principal. I don't care if they make a product that will make your plants grow bricks of gold, with diamond and pearl studded buds, I won't use that shit...

why not? i personally use EJ line and some home made stuff, but i have a budding rocking out with AN, was wondering why you wont use them ;)

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
>>>I use a customized Gh3 part for years and am pleased as punch with it. Ya really gotta know what your doing when you play with a 3 part, being able to have control on your NPK works for me:)<<>>Flushing is key<<< and prob most important when using the 3 part>>I dont think people flush correctly and thats why they aren't satisfied,
I got a friend who uses H&G and he isn't as happy as me:)

Green Mopho why dont you like advanced>>that sounds kinda silly what u say as hammerhead is the shit:harvest::harvest::harvest:

gtd:passingjoint:

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
Im using H&G bio1 its a 1 part and i am loving it. the pot is way stinkier and stickier then its ever been. I use pbp grow for veg and when i change to bloom i use the bio1 and add GO bio thrive for a little added N through stretch. I use GO cal-mag+. I veg in coco and then up pot to Pro mix for flower.I will add pbp metobolic tea grow at each transplant. I have been doing this for about a year now and my yeild as increased 4-6 Oz's per light. heres a shot of Chemdog D on this recipe, i never had it healthier. i love H&G

Chemd44days 4
Chemd44days 5
Chemd44days 6
M

mrdizzle

yea Im not sure a base nute will change your flavor profile very much, they are all basic salts.

additives I think may , but I find shit can taste great, in any medium with any nutes, so long as they get a proper flush

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

@JCashman I don't like AN's marketing schemes, and I believe most of their products are just hype. They may use 2% pharmaceutical grade ingredients, but the rest is crap. AN is the same shit ingredients as GH, only priced much higher and packaged with fancy names and logos.

@greenthumbdanny I used GH 3- part for years, always customized to particular strains and did it rather well, if I do say so myself. The point of this thread is that I loved my GH for reasons of control of the micro and N-P (K stays high across the Grow and Bloom formulas). I just don't like the flavors anymore from GH now that I switched. As far as flushing, I usually do a minumum 2 week flush, 1 week with Hygrozyme, and 1 week clean water. GH's cheap source of rock phosphates make it damn near impossible to flush and ALWAYS leaves a residual metallic taste. I didn't believe it or admit it either until I switched....

@KidTwist On point as usual, homie! Lookin' damn good...can't wait to rock that cut! You are vegging in coco and transplanting to ProMix! Whoa...its like you read my mind! I'm doing the exact same thing! But plan on feeding only organic teas in bloom. Figured if I start getting crazy deficiences, I would instantly switch to H&G Bio-1 with GO CalMag. Isn't this similar to pigfarmer's recipe? Although i think he vegges with H&G Cocos then drops em into ProMix.

@mrdizzle Base nutes can make a massive difference in flavor, but using the wrong additives at the wrong times or wrong amounts can do it too. Honestly, I don't use much boosters, unless I am trying to stop stretch, then I give em a hard K boost at week 1, 2, or 3. Yes, they are all basic salts, but what are they derived from? Urea and ammonia (ammoniacal) based salts tend to be less readily absorbed and also tend to flush slower for the same reason, nutrient mobility. Not only does the form of the nitrogen or phosphorous molecule make a difference, i.e. phosphite vs. phosphate or nitrite vs. nitrate, but so does the source and processing of the given salt to reduce or eliminate any residual impurities. I don't have a link for the thread right now, but there were tests done by the Washington state Department of Agriculture on all of the leading hydroponic nutirents. GH, FoxFarm, and AN all test extremely high for heavy metal impurities, i.e. arsenic, lead, cadmium, mercury, boron, copper, etc. The main source of these impurities are urea/ammonia based nitrogen and rock phosphate sourced phosphorus. In face, the 2 North American mines for rock phosphate are some of the most contaminated in the world, up to 22% impurities, where the Chinese mines only produce around 2-8% impurities.

And once again, of course you can get the flavor to shine well in GH with a good flush, as I said, I always flushed 2 weeks, if not more, but GH does always leave a metallic taste, especially if you went hard on the FloraBloom and/or KoolBloom, as that is where most of the rock phosphate ends up.

Sorry, I think its only Canna, H&G, or Botanicare from here on out...although I like the GO line!

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
yes this is right on with pig farmers recipe i spent a few nights talking with him. i kinda changed it up just a bit based on what i have available to me. i use the pure blend metabolic teas in veg and bloom instead of the hum-tea he uses. this time instead of using top booster im going with AN big bud and thier over drive. but pig uses this same recipe but adds hum-tea instead of my metabolic teas and he uses bud xl and top booster along with bio1 and GO cal-mag and he uses marine cuisine instead of bio-thrive for stretch. the transplanting is really the key here as well. he goes from 1 gals to 3 gals to 5 gals. when u change the pots like this u can really allow your plants to be even. the ones that are behind can catch up fast by the time your out of the 1 gals they are all just even and need water at same time and the roots are just crazy.

One of the guys i just started was on a budget and hes using fox farm kangaroots instead of H&G roots excell/great white combo and man his roots are freaking crazy, that bottle is worth the 20 bucks to try it. next run he will be adding roots excell to his line up but i really dont think he needs it

glad dank finnaly got it to ya, your gonna love her man. shes got very weak stems so you will need some suport for her.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Yea, I've slacked on transplanting some plants...I know pigfarmer stresses the importance of the transplants....doesn't seem to matter as much in coco, as they can get root bound as hell and still uptake fine. But some plants that I've started right in ProMix, if I let them get even just a little root bound, they start getting deficient, and take longer to take to a larger container when I transplant them. I have been using the Bountea starter tea mix for transplants and it works pretty damn good. Either that or I will just add a splash of Roots Excelurator to my regular compost tea. I've used the PureBlend compost teas before, but only in a hydro setup to add some vigor and flavor, didn't factor in the humics. From my understanding, if you use the entire H&G line, you should be covered for humic/fulvic and enzymes, unless you need that extra boost after transplant. Between the MultiZen and BudXL you are getting all the 'zymes and humics you need! I would think a fungal dominant compost tea would work just as good for transplant.

After going from coco to ProMix, I am starting off with the Bountea starter tea, then moving on to EWC teas, with molasses, kelp, and humics. For humics in my tea, I'll probably just use the Ful-Power that I already have, or switch it up and add Liquid Karma...like I said, if I get problems of deficiencies, I'll probably switch to H&G Bio-1 w/ GO CalMag, but I'm doing my best with this run to avoid as much "out-of-the-bottle" supplies as I can. This is my test run for the apocalypse when the world runs out of oil and I have to farm with what I can get...

Top Bottom