I think I got to dry before cure…

• Thread starter Jsimp342
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jsimp342

Hello all, I have 4 plants 2 gorilla glue and two super lemon haze.

hung dried all at same time without fan leaves and dry trimmed after 9 days 60 degrees and 40-60 rh mostly near 60. Stems didn’t snap yet!!!

Anyhow got trimmed up and into jars and rh has not rose above 40% in air tight jars, and I put a boveda 62% bag in each jar. Been sitting for about 12 hours now with packs in jars.. am I fucked?! Or will time tell different you think?

Or should I intervene with some moisture in the jars?

I think i got to dry before cure
KeifKommittee

KeifKommittee

Did you have a fan blowing directly on your buds during the dry? Many times a youtuber will tell you to dry for 10 days but I've learned that to not necessarily be true.

You should also factor in size of the buds and moisture trapped within them. It's possible your Boveda packs came too dry. Many different variables. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news here...but from my experience (amateur level so take it with a grain of salt) I would say your cure is done the moment you drop outside of a reasonable RH

Maintaining a 60% RH and 60 degree temp is key.

I would wait and let a few others with more experience chime in though.

Last edited:
J

Jsimp342

Did you have a fan blowing directly on your buds during the dry? Many times a youtuber will tell you to dry for 10 days but I've learned that to not necessarily be true.

You should also factor in size of the buds and moisture trapped within them. It's possible your Boveda packs came too dry. Many different variables. I don't want to be the bearer of upbad news here...but from my experience (amateur level so take it with a grain of salt) I would say your cure is done the moment you drop outside of a reasonable RH

Maintaining a 60% RH and 60 degree temp is key.

I would wait and let a few others with more experience chime in though.
Ok fan was blowing in bottom of tent not on buds, dehumidifier might have pushed a little air towards buds

KeifKommittee

KeifKommittee

Let's see if anyone can chime in that has experience rehydrating buds. I don't want to steer you wrong. Great job getting to the point of harvest though. Many have issues and have to get rid of their plants before the end of flower. So don't be hard on yourself.

Might still be some amazing smoke

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

i have had a few grows with too dryied buds, still enjoyable to smoke even if surely not the best.

R

RickZ

Boveda packs will maintain the target rh within reason. I would not expect a number 8 boveda to change the rh in a quart jar with one ounce by more than a couple of percent. If you bring the rh up to or down to the target, let stabilize for a day, then store with a tight lid and a boveda pack you will be fine. If not check your process to find out what you did wrong. I use my drying chamber and either a humidifier or dehumidifier to get to the target and then add the packs and seal. Make sure drying, stabilizing, and curing are done in the dark.

J

Jsimp342

Boveda packs will maintain the target rh within reason. I would not expect a number 8 boveda to change the rh in a quart jar with one ounce by more than a couple of percent. If you bring the rh up to or down to the target, let stabilize for a day, then store with a tight lid and a boveda pack you will be fine. If not check your process to find out what you did wrong. I use my drying chamber and either a humidifier or dehumidifier to get to the target and then add the packs and seal. Make sure drying, stabilizing, and curing are done in the dark.
Going to try this: all jars are open in tent and rh set to 65% and around 60 degrees. Going to let sit open for a couple hours and then close up lids in that setting and hopefully they will maintain that humidity with the packs in..

J

Jsimp342

Well I realized they were size one bodeva packs lol.. got size 8 on the way..

I brought jars humidity up to 60% being open in a good environment and closed them, added another size 1 bodega to each jar also.

Meters all were right about 60% in jars when I closed lids hope it stays! 🤞

J

Jsimp342

Had this last plant in tuppaware, couldn’t trim them all last night, finished trimming jarred and after being in moist room it’s good humidity in jar.

I think I’ll be ok if the humidity stays good now and I cure properly, it was only 40% in jar for 12 hours..

0C35D616 8E53 476C 84A2 F2F32A29C8EB
J

Jsimp342

All my jars are an average of 56% humidity in sealed jars with one 62% boveda size 8 pack.

I burp in 70% rh tent so the moisture sneaks back in a bit.

Should I be ok you think? Or is 55% too low still?

Eledin

Eledin

I think anything between 55% and 65% is okay, some growers use the 58% humidity packs instead of the 62%. It wouldnt hurt to have it at 58% just in case tho.

J

Jsimp342

Think i sacrificed any potency or flavor with them being 40% for a day in jars before I got them regulated up to at least 55%?? Going on day 4 of cure now

Eledin

Eledin

Im not sure to be honest, but even if it did it shouldnt be huge. When I need to add more humidity to a jar I add a citrus peel. Lemon, orange or tangerine but you can also use anything else that is moist, like a piece of paper, put it inside a small container so its not touching the buds if its wet paper, if its citrus peel its okay if they touch. Some people use wet bread I saw but I dont... I wouldnt do that hahaha.

J

Jsimp342

Im not sure to be honest, but even if it did it shouldnt be huge. When I need to add more humidity to a jar I add a citrus peel. Lemon, orange or tangerine but you can also use anything else that is moist, like a piece of paper, put it inside a small container so its not touching the buds if its wet paper, if its citrus peel its okay if they touch. Some people use wet bread I saw but I dont... I wouldnt do that hahaha.
Lol you think it’s ok to leave jars open in grow tent with 70 percent humidity for an hour and then close them up after they get up to 60%? My method of burping for now rather than put too much moisture in from wet towel or something

Eledin

Eledin

I think it should be fine yes, as long as you dont let it go below 55%, but be careful with the humidity fluctuations in darkness, going up to 70% could cause mold. For me its way easier to mantain the humidity inside the jars, but if thats easier for you go ahead! As long as they dont get too weet or too dry should be fine, just be careful to not let them sit in that 70% humidity enviroment for too long.

Eledin

Eledin

And keep it clean! The mold spores dont have to necessarily start in the buds.

J

Jsimp342

8 days after start of cure smell hasn’t come yet a little hayish.. smoked a couple different ones tonight and not too harsh but not the best taste, time will tell 👍

Humidity in jars has been about 55-60 on hygrometers, burp once a day for 15-30 mins

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
All my jars are an average of 56% humidity in sealed jars with one 62% boveda size 8 pack.

I burp in 70% rh tent so the moisture sneaks back in a bit.

Should I be ok you think? Or is 55% too low still?
do you throw them into jars with the packs right away? I feel it takes away some flavor if you do that.

plus i like to test the level of dryness in my buds, just the buds in the jar the RH% should be at a stable percentage not going up without a pack.

👽

J

Jsimp342

do you throw them into jars with the packs right away? I feel it takes away some flavor if you do that.

plus i like to test the level of dryness in my buds, just the buds in the jar the RH% should be at a stable percentage not going up without a pack.

👽
Yeah I over dried a little for sure it was barley breaking 40% in jars first 12 hrs. That’s why I got the packs.

steamroller

steamroller

8 days after start of cure smell hasn’t come yet a little hayish.. smoked a couple different ones tonight and not too harsh but not the best taste, time will tell 👍

Humidity in jars has been about 55-60 on hygrometers, burp once a day for 15-30 mins
No need to burp under 65%
I go to 50-55% before I add back moisture.
I just use a mini carrot.
Under 65% and over 50-55% you can just let cure happen.
Nice looking bud~! 👍

Top Bottom