I think I got to dry before cure…

• Thread starter Jsimp342
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jsimp342

So quick question with 62% humidity packs the jars are staying right on 59%. I have been burping every 1 1/2- 2 days because the smell still isn’t there yet. Any advice as to going forward?

Will more burping help bring smell in?

Or just let them be at 59% stop burping and let the sit?

Smoked a couple buds and it’s not to harsh but flavor isn’t there very much

Eledin

Eledin

With boveda packs there's no need to burp, if you keep burping the packs will dry sooner. That said I still burp at least twice a week (but not for long) just to separate buds that are sticking together and in case of excess humidity (The packs come at 62%, if you have more they wont absorb much of it). Since youre measuring 59% with the packs I would stop burping. How long did you dry it and how long have they been in the jars?

Eledin

Eledin

As far as I know once the curing process stops you cant restart it. Might be the case that when it was at 40% or 33% humidity you stoped the curing process. I think it can still get better with time? But Im not sure and it will take longer. I smoked weed that was forgotten and dry as the sahara desert and it was still potent, but maybe because it cured before completely drying.

J

Jsimp342

With boveda packs there's no need to burp, if you keep burping the packs will dry sooner. That said I still burp at least twice a week (but not for long) just to separate buds that are sticking together and in case of excess humidity (The packs come at 62%, if you have more they wont absorb much of it). Since youre measuring 59% with the packs I would stop burping. How long did you dry it and how long have they been in the jars?

Dried for about 8 days with temp 65 and eh between 40-60 (best I could get) stems didn’t snap I was suprized they were as dry as they were.. in jars for 2.5 weeks now

Eledin

Eledin

Dried for about 8 days with temp 65 and eh between 40-60 (best I could get) stems didn’t snap I was suprized they were as dry as they were.. in jars for 2.5 weeks now
40 is too low unfortunately, that might have partially stoped the curing process, but it can still get better with time, give it 2 more weeks. The stems didnt snap because they retain more humidity for longer, but when your relative humidity is that low the buds will dry quicker than the stems and they dont have time to exchange humidity. I had that happen to me before, it doesnt help if you harvest when the soil is still wet (dunno if that was your case). I chop my plant and hang it whole for a day or two then I chop it in smaller portions for better aireation as clusters of buds can rot even if decent RH.

J

Jsimp342

40 is too low unfortunately, that might have partially stoped the curing process, but it can still get better with time, give it 2 more weeks. The stems didnt snap because they retain more humidity for longer, but when your relative humidity is that low the buds will dry quicker than the stems. I had that happen to me before, it doesnt help if you harvest when the soil is still wet (dunno if that was your case). I chop my plant and hang it whole for a day or two then I chop it in smaller portions for better aireation as clusters of buds can rot even if decent RH.
Makes Sense soil was dry but your right I think that day or two of 40 rh before I caught it probably did the trick

Eledin

Eledin

If you cant get your humidity high for whatever reason then you might want to harvest with wet soil and not chop it into parts so it takes more time to dry but ideally you want the humidity to be right as the previous practice can leave you with some buds rotten inside because of the accumulation of humidity in dense areas plus darkness. Never below 55% though, otherwise the buds will dry quicker anyway and the curing process will be affected. Good thing is that now you know. I had bad harvests like everyone else who has grown for long, giving them more curing time always helped it and they still look like nice buds, Im sure they can get you high :P

J

Jsimp342

If you cant get your humidity high for whatever reason then you might want to harvest with wet soil and not chop it into parts so it takes more time to dry but ideally you want the humidity to be right as the previous practice can leave you with some buds rotten inside because of the accumulation of humidity in dense areas plus darkness. Never below 55% though, otherwise the buds will dry quicker anyway and the curing process will be affected. Good thing is that now you know. I had bad harvests like everyone else who has grown for long, giving them more curing time always helped it and they still look like nice buds, Im sure they can get you high :P
Yeah it’s a decent harvest, maybe time will improve taste and smell 😁

Latest posts

Top Bottom