I Think I Have Root Aphids In My Hydro Grow Room!

• Thread starter ShellyDawn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tnelz

Tnelz

Met 52 or Conserve SC is your only option to rid yourself of these lil nightmares. Pictures would really help us help you to identify these pest do you could get a attack plan in place.
Respect
Conserve doesn't do anything to aphids my brother. They would drink it and spit it back at u. Lol. But this doesn't sound very much like root aphids.

Tnelz

Tnelz

Merit 75 done. Never to worry again. However you need to clean out every nook and cranny of the room. 1 survivor and they will come right back. I had them and there is nothing worse.

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

so, I am new to posting on any canna boards, tho I've been looking for years...... I write today to share some of my root aphid experience........ In 2011, I got 20 teens from a good friend, in coco. They began to fail.... I had never heard of RA (neither had the friend at that time). I tried every tactic I could find.....Botaniguard, Pyganic, Merit 75 WP, Spectracide Triazacide, etc... what worked that time for me was that, twice, two different times.... I totally washed all coco and then, soil away from the roots, then, I dipped the root ball and entire plant into the Merit 75 solution........ In between those two treatments, I did soil drench with the Triazacide...... also, cleaned completely, bombed the rooms, took cuts from and then killed off all my moms, and then, I treated with Pyganic soil drenches for months...... I basically lost a month or two of production, and I remained diligent for years..... I will say that the Merit 75, beyond being expensive, and an evil awful poison, was very very harsh on my plants, but, we did beat the RA.

To me, things like PM, and spider mites are kindergarten. RA is college-level.

In this past year, I lost my mother, my son, my marriage, and a job I've had and loved for 12 years, so, maybe I have not been as on top of things as usual........whatever. I have the RA again, but, this time, none of the above has helped, and I have been working to rid my rooms of these awful creatures for about 4 runs now. I have lost 40 to 60% of my production 3 runs in a row, and then, lost my entire run at about day 32 out of 63 this last time.....

I had wanted to try the heat method that I've been reading about, so, what I did in line with that is on one run, before I potted-up to the 5 gal pots, (besides cleaning, bombing, cleaning all filters, fans, bleaching the rooms, and treating every 3 days with something in the lists of things that might hopefully work, including a couple treatments with the OG Biowar, etccc)) was to heat treat my soil. I'm running ish of 52 plants in 5 gal plastic pots with the raised bottoms so they don't sit in water. I felt that perhaps the bugs were coming in the soil I had been buying, so, I tried the heat.......

that run, I used my steam cleaner and my oven to heat every tiny bit of soil to 200 degrees for about 5 or 10 minutes. I treated all 260 gallons of my soil in that way....... and treated the plants and cleaned the room. Still, tho my run completed, the yields were half what they should have been.

so, next run (still continuously treating all of my nursery plants every 3 to 5 days.), I got new soil, bleached, bombed, steamed all the corners, and etc... in the room...... and I planted.... I felt I had a handle on it... my kids were beautiful.......... until day 22 under the 12/12 cycle. They just started failing everywhere.............so, in desperation, I tried the hot water thing......... I could not use poison on my medicine at that stage of the game..... so, I brought out my free standing camp stove, and 4 canning pots, my candy thermometer, and all kinds of other gear........ I heated the water to 125 degrees, and then poured it through each pot's soil, letting it soak in big bottom trays... I had to move each plant into separate rooms...... 52 plants in 5 gal pots, ranging in height from 42 to 50 inches tall, bushy, and beautiful, but, failing.......

It was a huge task. I finished it up, and went away for the weekend......... came home to standing straw. The entire room was dead. I believe it was the hot water treatment to the soil. I did not apply hot water to the foliage.

I took out all the soil, put it in black plastic bags, and out into the direct sun.. that first day was 108. I live in the hot Sacramento valley, and that soil has had some serious heat on it for at least 10 days.... last night, I opened a few of the bags, just to check.........there are flyers everywhere. I do NOT believe in heat treating.

I think that the RA has become immune to many of the products, and I will never try heat again. The one thing that has showed some success this time through is the Pyganic, organic pyrethrum. It is quite expensive, and even though it is organic, it is big time poison...... I don't believe there are directions for drenching, but, I just go with the directions for a foliar spray and then drench the soil with it.........

I am sad and upset with this... so, my run is gone, my room has been empty for most of 2 weeks, and my nursery has flyers.......... In a separate location, I have another run ready to roll. I have bombed my flower room twice, 3 days apart... swept, vacuumed, cleaned the filters on everything, etc...I have been treating the nursery and teens with Triazacide every 3 to 5 days, and will begin with an Imid product that I found for much less $$ than the Merit, but, at only 1.47% rather than the 5%, so, I guess I will use more........... I'm going nuclear, I will not falter. I have to beat this.

so, anyway....... my plan..... I'm picking up fresh soil this afternoon, and will wash away the soil for the next run (30 kids, not 52 this time), I will treat with the Imid, totally drench the root ball and foliage, pot it up, and then drench the soil with the imid too. I will drench again on Saturday morning, and again next Tuesday morning. Then, I will spend the following week or so, drenching with the Triazicide every 3 days............. then, I will turn the lights to 12/12, flush the soil, do a light feeding just with mollasis water, and start brewing my active compost teas. I think I should wait at least a week to 10 days after the last treatment before I introduce mychorrizi and other bennies. also, each time that I water, I will spray the low parts of the plants and the top of the soil with a Pyganic solution. (once the light bulbs begin to show on the plant in flower, if you treat with Pyganic, it turns the white pistols brown. ls late in flower, Pyganic will definitely have a bad aeffect on the taste of the finished product.)

I am so freaking tired of this, and so upset. I am ever learning, but, also, I am not a novice. These bugs are just awful. (Oh, somewhere along the lines this past year, I have also introduced the predatory nematodes, but, they really didn't have any chance to build up their levels and do the job before they were cooked with the hot water.)

PS: The kids that came out of my rooms and went into the earth outdoors have been treated (yes, even in their 60 gal smarties) with triazicide a few times, and all are looking lovely strong, and deep dark green. They all have one more treatment, and then, I will just keep on telling them how amazingly beautiful they are, and how proud a mother I am that my children will bring such healing to so many.

Fuckin a ! What an ordeal. Havr you tried different soil from a different store? They could have a stockpile being infested at your current store.

I feel like if you and sea maiden join forces you can BOTH conquer your RA problems. I dont know about you but ive been reading about seamaidens RA problems since i first joined the farm.

Im confident that if you dont give up, and keep trying to fight this battle you can win.

"Bricka bracka fire cracker blip boom ba! Bugs bunny bugs bunny, rah rah RAH!" ...my little cheer just for you. Dont give up!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't have RA problems anymore, just the two runs some years ago. It is my perpetual fungus gnat issue that causes me grief.

C

ChrissyP

here's my little update........ Imid works. It is awful stuff, and I do not use it during flower...... but, it works. I am not certain of the protocols here regarding naming names, but, I found a product at a local hardware store called Annual Tree and Shrub, and it's percentage is 1.47% Imid. I used it 3 times, three days a part, at 1 ounce per gallon, and then, followed up with the Triazicide at the same intervals and proportions..... that was outside........... on the kids that were failing inside. It was a huge piece of work, as each smart pot took a full 5 gallon bucket. The Tree and Shrub stuff cost $16.99 for a quart.......... because of the potential harm to bees and other creatures, I treated at night, just before dark so that at least the liquid would not touch anything. My outside kids are doing really fine. I still have leaves that yellow, but, the plants are big, fine and healthy.

I took tray after tray of cuts from the mom's after treating the heck out of them. Then, I killed all my moms........ that was not an easy task, and required quite a lot of tequila to manage...... After that, I bombed my rooms twice, 3 days apart, after getting rid of everything inside. My cutlings are looking really healthy and good, but, they will undergo a rigorous treatment regimen after they are all potted into soil and have a chance to stabilize.........

The off-site kids that were given to me are doing well, but, I saw spider mite damage/presence this morning, and gave them a spray of the organic pyrethrum, and will follow that up a couple more times, along with just a general shower bath in alternation.

So my truth is that I let my guard down, was not diligent with quarantine for incoming kinds, let my rooms fall into disrepair, and was not as d preventative measures

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Bayer Tree & Shrub, I believe that's the product you used. I'm glad it helped, it didn't work at all for me. Spider mites are stupid easy to deal with, especially organically. I'm glad you've gotten a handle on it!

souf69

souf69

In my experience the warm water only chased them out of my medium for a bit. Hot water is def a no no. The tree and shrub made em leave the medium, they then turned blue and died.There's not much imid in it, but it is just enuff. Stay vigilent and focused, cause if you let your guard down they will see you again. Your kung fu will be fine!

Top Bottom