I think I may have been over doing it... Clones/ 2 gallon pots to 15 gal pots? (CoCo)

• Thread starter ALIV
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ALIV

ALIV

So... I've been doing research, apparently going from clone box to 2 gallon pots to 15 gallon pots is a No no. Should I down the pot size's? I veg for a good 1.5-2 months clone to 15 gallon pot. I flower each girl under 1k HPS/Trellis. Im a coco/hydro noob, Im now on my second grow using coco. I did pretty good but I definitely have some learning to do. I was running soil for about 7 years. May have been over compensating then too. What do you experienced fellas think? Should I down my pot sizes? Also any other pointers would be appreciated.

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
So... I've been doing research, apparently going from clone box to 2 gallon pots to 15 gallon pots is a No no. Should I down the pot size's? I veg for a good 1.5-2 months clone to 15 gallon pot. I flower each girl under 1k HPS/Trellis. Im a coco/hydro noob, Im now on my second grow using coco. I did pretty good but I definitely have some learning to do. I was running soil for about 7 years. May have been over compensating then too. What do you experienced fellas think? Should I down my pot sizes? Also any other pointers would be appreciated.
15 gallon pots? What are you trying to grow 12ft trees? I'm no pro but I rarely go over a 3 gallon pot and I veg for 2.5 - 3 months. I use solo cups then 1/2 gallon then 3 gallon. I have 1 now in a 5 gallon because I'm vegging it for longer than usual. I use ProMix not sure about coco grow.

Oct 6 2019 001
NinoGrows420

NinoGrows420

I think you should down size so your not using that much nutes cause I think you should be watering till run off and 15 gallons is pretty big if you ask me but i dont really know much I'm just running my first grown my self somebody with some experience will let you know in a bit

ALIV

ALIV

15 gallon pots? What are you trying to grow 12ft trees? I'm no pro but I rarely go over a 3 gallon pot and I veg for 2.5 - 3 months. I use solo cups then 1/2 gallon then 3 gallon. I have 1 now in a 5 gallon because I'm vegging it for longer than usual. I use ProMix not sure about coco grow.
Haha I wish, Very nice and green. I am going to transition into 1/2 gallon out of cloner, 2 gallon, then maybe 10 gallon....

ALIV

ALIV

I think you should down size so your not using that much nutes cause I think you should be watering till run off and 15 gallons is pretty big if you ask me but i dont really know much I'm just running my first grown my self somebody with some experience will let you know in a bit
So... They say to feed until drip with coco. I have been going through tons of nutes. The funny thing is I see roots at the bottom of pot. I know they won't have long enough to fully develop since I am already in day 3 flower and I only transplanted 5 days ago. ughh

W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

In coco with good feeding plan you can get a monster out of 5 galon pot. Don't over do it on pot sizes because there is a corolation between pot size and weed hight.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
In coco with good feeding plan you can get a monster out of 5 galon pot. Don't over do it on pot sizes because there is a corolation between pot size and weed hight.
I find smaller pots are easier to maneuver and water / feed. I lift my pots to determine when to water / feed. in the 5 gallon bucket I find it harder to tell but its still manageable, above that I'm lost. I've killed plants in large pots because of watering / over feeding issues. But that's just me in ProMix, again coco is an unknown for me but I imagine the weight and maneuverability issues would still apply.

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

Honestly, I've done 12/12 from seed in those red solo cups with coco and done ok . I've never used anything bigger than a 1 gallon pot. Mostly I use the 5.5" x 5.5" x 6" squares in ebb and flow and dtw. Think they're like 2 1/2 qt. size.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Nice set up. Is that 2 - 600w hps? 10 x 5 table? = 18 in 7 gal pots? ah 7 gallons us = less than 6 gallons Imperial (Canadian) they look small to have that much volume.

2 -1ks over a 4x8 table. 17 plants. 2 rows of 6 and a row of 5 in the middle. Yep difference is being fed 4 times a day. True 1 gals. Use a 6in white hydro pot filled to the top to fill the fabrics. You can see the size comparison in the 3rd pic with the 6in Hugo block in the back.

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So do you not get root bound issues in coco? I just transplanted these and they were super root bound in 10 litres pots
I've seen many people growing big yielding plants in 1 gallon pots of Coco so again I think you're overdoing it, but you know what they say "more roots more fruits" or something like that, good luck

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Only reason to run big pots of coco is you have big ass plants. Only thing you are doing is upping the cost of the grow with medium and nutrients unless you are rocking out tree's with vert lighting. Honestly I think anything over 3 gals is overkill unless you have a specific setup for it or you are outdoors. Unless you are tuning the water schedule to fit what you need. If you are concerned with plant count I see it but I just dont understand the point of 2.5 months of veg. Then again to pull the weight off plants like that you need a shit ton of training or lots of lights. My 2 month vegged mom's always yielded less when I flowered them vs vegging clones for a room. Why I just kill them and restart after 2 rounds of cuts. Just don't have enough light and ceiling height behind them to get them where they need to be.

Last edited:
ALIV

ALIV

Only reason to run big pots of coco is you have big ass plants. Only thing you are doing is upping the cost of the grow with medium and nutrients unless you are rocking out tree's with vert lighting. Honestly I think anything over 3 gals is overkill unless you have a specific setup for it or you are outdoors. Unless you are tuning the water schedule to fit what you need. If you are concerned with plant count I see it but I just dont understand the point of 2.5 months of veg. Then again to pull the weight off plants like that you need a shit ton of training or lots of lights. My 2 month vegged mom's always yielded less when I flowered them vs vegging clones for a room. Why I just kill them and restart after 2 rounds of cuts. Just don't have enough light and ceiling height behind them to get them where they need to be.
I have limited plant count here, I did get the g per watt off of one plant, 15 gal pot, 1k phantom DE. I still think 15 gallons is too big my roots definitely were impressive but there was room to grow. Im moving down to 10 gallon this run maybe lower run after depending on results.

ALIV

ALIV

So I switched to 1/2 gallon... this is Four weeks out of clone box . We had issue with lockout and low temps. Got that issue resolved. After trying these 1/2 gallon pots I’m convinced leaving your clones in clone box until their nice and long, then transplanting to one gallon pots, and into final pots before flower is the way to go. I’m on a tight schedule so I don’t mind the small amount of nutrients wasted due to run off. What do ya think?

49FBC16A 8141 474A 8855 4AF3B52BAB06

Latest posts

Top Bottom