I used mosquito nets to protect my plants

• Thread starter TurningGreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TurningGreen

TurningGreen

I had huge problems with insects (either grasshoppers or crickets) eating my plants. One of those is now almost completely leafless.

I used mosquito nets to protect my plants 3
I used mosquito nets to protect my plants 2

I tried neem oil but it wasn't enough and I started having flowers so I could't spray it too much.
I decided as a last resort to use a mosquito net and put it around the plants. I think it worked pretty good so I wanted to post a pic and a couple of details

I used mosquito nets to protect my plants

Building:

- bought a large enough mosquito net and stapled it togheter, large enough to take it off and pull it over the vase without much trouble
- used two metal wires and bent them for structure by crossing them on the top
- on the bottom of the vase I used a plastic string to close the net

Results

- I immediately stopped finding green leaves pieces on the ground every day
- the plant did not seem to dislike it
- I water them from the outside so I don't need to pull it off everytime
- insects do not eat them, I have not found any hole except from a single one (it may have been the sun because it was over a plastic string I used to keep up a branch and that was ruined too)
- they seem to keep the smell inside a bit

Cons:

- maybe less areation?
- purple bud grew so much it touched the "roof" and bent around so you may need to open and make it taller
- if the buds are touching the net they will get rubbed when you take it off, but some plastic strings may solve the problem

So I would recommend it if you aren't going to make a very large or tall plant, all my autoflowers are perfecly inside.
I don't have any comparison with a normal grow since this is my first one so there may be other issues with quality that I'm not aware of. This was an emergency operation anyway

Top Bottom