IBA in the EZ Cloner

• Thread starter redwhiteblue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Anyone using IBA powder in the EZ Cloner? Care to share dosage?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Don't do it.

Using to much IBA will delay rooting!! The clones have natural IBA (Auxins) in the leaves and when you cut the clone the iba moves to the cut to start the rooting process. If you use too much powder or gel you will take longer to grow roots as the IBA starts a process of callusing on the cut that the roots grow out of. Too much IBA and they just keep callusing and callusing and taking forever to grow roots.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Is it even needed in such a cloner? I have a home-made aerocloner and the most I ever use is a very mild nutrient solution, which ends up becoming nothing but water as the weeks go by and I replenish the reservoir without adding nutrients. I should just do it with nothing but water.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

The first part of getting cloning right is mental. You need to do a reset in your head because everything you know about growing plants is in there and has not got much application in cloning. What I mean is you want to grow roots, not leaf and plant. Most people think by adding this and that it goes faster but in fact it is the opposite and slows the root growth. I have been cloning since Christ was a Cowboy and I am still learning. People come into the stores everyday with failed cloning and it's because they don't understand you want roots not green. Anyway you have seen some of my other stuff so I'll just toss out some of the tips on my handout from the stores.

Don't cut at 45, cut straight. Do not cut at an angle this takes longer and has a higher failure rate. The only exception to this are systems like the ez-cloner, cut at 45 as this allows water transport to the leaves as they don't use a humidity dome.

Use very little cloning gel. All the cuts have natural auxin's in them some more than others depending where you take the cuts from. Most new growth has the most but this is not necessarily the best to use. More is not better!

Cut all your clones from the middle of the plant. Clones cut from the top root fast but grow slow. Clones from the middle of the plant root slow but grow fast. These are the cuts that are a little more woody than the young top cuts that are more flesh like.

Keep them in the dark for a couple days, this encourages root growth quicker.

222082 10100315575206611 6017207 54400198 6397121 n

sinilluminati

sinilluminati

Instructions
Preparing the Indole Butyric Acid start with dissolving the powder, diluting the dissolved IBA and then applying it to the plants.
Dissolving

Alcohol

IBA dissolves quite easily with 70% or better store bought rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol). Just combine 1 scoop of IBA powder with 0.5 teaspoon or less of alcohol and gently shake the container. In this case I used a white plastic cafeteria spoon, and half-full was about 2 ml. so very little alcohol is really needed; and the less you use the better. The powder should dissolve in a few minutes, generally less than 10. After the powder has dissolved then dilute it (instructions below).
Important: isopropyl alcohol is easy to get but if you try to mix something higher than 500 PPM some of the isopropyl alcohol & IBA will turn back into small flakes. This is because there is an upper limit on how much isopropyl alcohol & IBA mix the water can hold. Despite this limitation we like using isopropyl alcohol because most people already have it in their homes. But since the PPM will be lower you can just use the solution longer or more often.
Useful: We also used 99% methanol alcohol to dissolve the IBA powder. It worked just as well as the Isopropyl alcohol and we where able to create a 1000 PPM solution with. When using Isopropyl alcohol we could only create a 500 PPM solution.
Useful: In a later test we first dissolved on scoop. Once the first scoop was dissolved we were still able to dissolve a second scoop without using more isopropyl alcohol.

Ammonia

Ammonia can also be used to dissolve Indole Butyric Acid. Again, 1 scoop of powder was dissolved in less than half a spoon (the spoon was a standard white plastic cafeteria spoon that half full holds about 2 ml of ammonia).
Diluting

After dissolving the Indole Butyric Acid (instructions are above) add the dissolved Indole Butyric Acid to water - do not add the water to the dissolved Indole Butyric Acid. Also, pour it slowly while you stir the water. To determine how much water to use first determine what plants you will use the Indole Butyric Acid for and what PPM you will need. Normally, you can divide it in the categories below. As an example, 1 scoop of powder in about 4 ounces of water is 500 PPM.
Important: In one experiment we also tried to create a 1000 PPM solution but when we added the dissolved powder to water some flakes formed. This is because there is a limit to how much dissolved IBA water can hold and if you try to add more the extra IBA turns back into powder and alcohol flakes. In this particular case we used alcohol to dissolve the IBA powder. As a follow-up we will be testing different ideas.
Important: Instead of using a high PPM of IBA you can get just a good a result if you use a lower PPM for longer. Also, instead of using a high dosage once you can also use a lower dosage twice. An example might be that instead of using 1000 PPM for 10 seconds you could also use 500 PPM for 30 seconds, or use 500 PPM twice in two days.

redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Instructions
Preparing the Indole Butyric Acid start with dissolving the powder, diluting the dissolved IBA and then applying it to the plants.
Dissolving

Alcohol

IBA dissolves quite easily with 70% or better store bought rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol). Just combine 1 scoop of IBA powder with 0.5 teaspoon or less of alcohol and gently shake the container. In this case I used a white plastic cafeteria spoon, and half-full was about 2 ml. so very little alcohol is really needed; and the less you use the better. The powder should dissolve in a few minutes, generally less than 10. After the powder has dissolved then dilute it (instructions below).
Important: isopropyl alcohol is easy to get but if you try to mix something higher than 500 PPM some of the isopropyl alcohol & IBA will turn back into small flakes. This is because there is an upper limit on how much isopropyl alcohol & IBA mix the water can hold. Despite this limitation we like using isopropyl alcohol because most people already have it in their homes. But since the PPM will be lower you can just use the solution longer or more often.
Useful: We also used 99% methanol alcohol to dissolve the IBA powder. It worked just as well as the Isopropyl alcohol and we where able to create a 1000 PPM solution with. When using Isopropyl alcohol we could only create a 500 PPM solution.
Useful: In a later test we first dissolved on scoop. Once the first scoop was dissolved we were still able to dissolve a second scoop without using more isopropyl alcohol.

Ammonia

Ammonia can also be used to dissolve Indole Butyric Acid. Again, 1 scoop of powder was dissolved in less than half a spoon (the spoon was a standard white plastic cafeteria spoon that half full holds about 2 ml of ammonia).
Diluting

After dissolving the Indole Butyric Acid (instructions are above) add the dissolved Indole Butyric Acid to water - do not add the water to the dissolved Indole Butyric Acid. Also, pour it slowly while you stir the water. To determine how much water to use first determine what plants you will use the Indole Butyric Acid for and what PPM you will need. Normally, you can divide it in the categories below. As an example, 1 scoop of powder in about 4 ounces of water is 500 PPM.
Important: In one experiment we also tried to create a 1000 PPM solution but when we added the dissolved powder to water some flakes formed. This is because there is a limit to how much dissolved IBA water can hold and if you try to add more the extra IBA turns back into powder and alcohol flakes. In this particular case we used alcohol to dissolve the IBA powder. As a follow-up we will be testing different ideas.
Important: Instead of using a high PPM of IBA you can get just a good a result if you use a lower PPM for longer. Also, instead of using a high dosage once you can also use a lower dosage twice. An example might be that instead of using 1000 PPM for 10 seconds you could also use 500 PPM for 30 seconds, or use 500 PPM twice in two days.

How much IBA would I add to my UC system?, - 100 gallons total system volume.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Dankworth swears by IBA. I've been doing a little bit of testing with it and having good results. I wish there was a way to hyperlink people into here like facebook so dankworth could chime in.

surrealife

surrealife

Well shoot. IBA was going to be my next big thing. had my presentation for the forum ready already?
JKN:)

1 thing. IMO, i LOVE taking cuts with flowers... yes,
they produce many, many lower branches very quickly, and are the fastest growing clones for me. about same rooting pace
which is horrid for me right now... 3 ice packs every 2hrs
led me to IBA
cannot get anywhere below 78f in my house... and i am in maine?
i will do some experiments with the IBA... get back to this resurrection of a dead thread:)

Top Bottom