Identify this bug

• Thread starter outwest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
That's a crazy lookin bug.. I would kill its ass I hate 2 see any bugs in my grow area.. Well that's not 100% true b'cuz I like Ladybugs & praying mantis..

I like predator mites!

outwest

101 Runner

101 Runner

Everyone is posting to catch them but you want to eradicate! Zenith 20 for total bug death!

vaporedout

vaporedout

i checked out the parasitic wasp, its a possibility.... but damn those things lay their eggs on other bugs?? hahaha wtf?? "hey c'mer for a sec i need to lay a dozen eggs on ya"

Reactions: mal
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I know! Right? I've seen what they do to praying mantises, it's a sad thing to see. Last year I watched a 'regular' wasp snag a caterpillar and drag it off. What a way to go!

ttystikk

ttystikk

I have a very small bug roaming around in my bloom room; it's the size of a fungus gnat but isn't one. It bites- barely- and it doesn't seem to be interested in the plants. It does a lot of walking around at a fast clip, like it's hunting. It seems a bit spotted or mottled. It does not have a wasp waist. I do not have a camera capacble of the macro shot necessary to see it clearly...

I have no other bugs in my room besides the occasional spider. Unlike many here, I am reluctant to pump poisonous chemicals until I think they're actually required; hosing the room down with pesticide just ensures there will be a wide open field for the first bugs of a new infestation...

ttystikk

ttystikk

I know! Right? I've seen what they do to praying mantises, it's a sad thing to see. Last year I watched a 'regular' wasp snag a caterpillar and drag it off. What a way to go!

Bug's gotta eat, and I'm all for the wasp dragging off a caterpillar and making like 'Alien' with it. After all the crawlie is gonna eat many times its weight in MY plants, damaging them in the process.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Ooo... sounds predatory to me!

What's that bug identification site again...? Hold on, lemme find it, BRB.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

awesome site! Now, how do I use it to identify a bug by physical description alone?
Agreed, the little guys do sound predatory and if that's the case I definitely do not want to kill them off!

I learned long ago in the jungles of Malaysia that if a critter eats mosquitoes, DON'T kill it because it's on your team-it doesn't matter what it looks like!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hrm... last time I used the site it looked a bit different, and I could have sworn it had a link to ID bug by appearance, then there was a tree that you could use that helped narrow down family, etc.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Thanks for all the insect knowledge. Go team!

outwest

vaporedout

vaporedout

Unlike many here, I am reluctant to pump poisonous chemicals until I think they're actually required; hosing the room down with pesticide just ensures there will be a wide open field for the first bugs of a new infestation...

yeah stay away from chemicals..... neem is a good way to go for most probs, and critter control. i dont like to kill any bug, if i can help it. spiders are on your side also. if i see a nice daddy long leg, i will snag it and put it in my room if i suspect bugs, id like to think the way i got rid of my root aphids was collecting about 4 wolf spiders and let them have their way with all the fliers and the aphids on top of the soil...

and what?? a praying mantis couldnt hang with those wasps?? man i like to find a few of those mantis a year and try to keep em with my outdoor crowd just for bug control, i dont know if we have those wasps here but imma keep an eye out for those crazy mofo's

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
yeah stay away from chemicals..... neem is a good way to go for most probs, and critter control.

I don't think they are any kind of wasp, I'm still leaning toward ant, way to small to be a wasp, my photos give no sense of scale. Either way someone had mentioned setting torro on a plate, I assume that is some kind of granular? As long as it isn't going in or on the plants, I'm OK with little chemicals.

outwest

vaporedout

vaporedout

yeah torro is like a syrup, you put a drop on a plate and set it out by them, just watch if you have pets.

Reactions: mal
Dr.X

Dr.X

It is definetly a wasp, check this link.. They eat bad bugs if I'm not mistaken
.. I couldn't put the link so here are the pictures

193197523 8ef4f8193b z
193197525 c340cfc343 z
IMGP3182

Top Bottom