If I don’t spend some $$ soon, my grow tent gonna turn into a closet

• Thread starter Cabi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

I was told from the beginning that LED would be cheaper to run then an HPS kit. From the beginning. You guys know my set up 3 x 3, How do I calculate The difference in my electric bill between an HPS system for that size grow room versus the HLG 260 or 300L? Thanks
Elec is sold by kilowatt hours. It's simple arithmetic.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I was told from the beginning that LED would be cheaper to run then an HPS kit. From the beginning. You guys know my set up 3 x 3, How do I calculate The difference in my electric bill between an HPS system for that size grow room versus the HLG 260 or 300L? Thanks
Tell ya what you go get your electric bill and give me the kw/hr they charge and I will tell you exactly the difference.

Hlg 260 will do a 3x3 just fine... So will a 315cmh and so will. 400w HPS

Cabi

Cabi

Tell ya what you go get your electric bill and give me the kw/hr they charge and I will tell you exactly the difference.

OK I think we’re roughly looking at about $.17 a kilowatt. And now if there’s no real difference between the HPS and an LEDAnd you know the ones mentioned, then holy crap what am I doing?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

OK I think we’re roughly looking at about $.17 a kilowatt. And now if there’s no real difference between the HPS and an LEDAnd you know the ones mentioned, then holy crap what am I doing?

Yeah 150 watts wont make but a few dollars difference but like @Aqua Man said cooling the heat of the extra wattage and radiant heat of hid bulbs costs more.

But again in a 3x3 i can run a 315 cmh phillips bulb and keep it below 78 degrees farenheight with a 4” cheap hydro farm inline fan exhausting into the next room with no air conditioning up to 74 degrees.

I would save very little money going to a comparable say 250 watt led.

When someone runs 20 lights the difference is big.

Cabi

Cabi

Yeah 150 watts wont make but a few dollars difference but like @Aqua Man said cooling the heat of the extra wattage and radiant heat of hid bulbs costs more.

But again in a 3x3 i can run a 315 cmh phillips bulb and keep it below 78 degrees farenheight with a 4” cheap hydro farm inline fan exhausting into the next room with no air conditioning up to 74 degrees.

Argh

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Led 260w run at 18/6 for 30 days is 140kw at $0.17 equals $23.86/month $286.32/year

315 CMH run at 18/6 for 30 days is 170kw at $0.17 equals $28.91/month $346.92/year

400w HPS run at 18/6 for 30 days is 216kw at $0.17 equals $36.72/month $440.64/year

That's the cost difference a month. I would say the light intensity produced would all be similar. The LED may produce a bit more. CMH good overall spectrum and reported to produce a little more frost. HPS probably a bit more bulk. LED depends on spectrum and produces significantly less heat.

All will grow great bud.

Now you have the basic info you can make an informed choice.

Cabi

Cabi

OK. Let’s say I run HLG 300L versu an Hps of your choice with them damn hot bulbs. Forget about just running one, let’s say I’m running two, Can you guys give me a guesstimate of what that would run me a month? Because if I enjoy this I’ve got a look ahead. CostS Are everyth
Led 260w run at 18/6 for 30 days is 140kw at $0.17 equals $23.86/month $286.32/year

315 CMH run at 18/6 for 30 days is 170kw at $0.17 equals $28.91/month $346.92/year

400w HPS run at 18/6 for 30 days is 216kw at $0.17 equals $36.72/month $440.64/year

That's the cost difference a month. I would say the light intensity produced would all be similar. The LED may produce a bit more. CMH good overall spectrum and reported to produce a little more frost. HPS probably a bit more bulk. LED depends on spectrum and produces significantly less heat.

All will grow great bud.

Now you have the basic info you can make an informed choice.
Thank you sir. You’re a kind man. But as I see it, running an HPS while cheaper to Buy, would cost me more in the long run especially as i grow. More lights etc. besides. I would think just keeping that light cool would also bump up the price per hour. And I’m Excluding the fact that the tent is in my room. Which might make things a little warmer than normal. You guys got me all excited. Back to looking in my pockets for extra change, Oh I forgot the sofa cushions.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

OK. Let’s say I run HLG 300L versu an Hps of your choice with them damn hot bulbs. Forget about just running one, let’s say I’m running two, Can you guys give me a guesstimate of what that would run me a month? Because if I enjoy this I’ve got a look ahead. CostS Are everyth

Thank you sir. You’re a kind man. But as I see it, running an HPS while cheaper to Buy, would cost me more in the long run especially as a grow. More lights etc. besides. I would think just keeping that light cool with also bump up the price per hour. And I’m Excluding the fact that the tent is in my room. Which might make things a little warmer than normal. You guys got me all excited. Back to looking in my pockets for extra change, Oh I forgot the sofa cushions.
Lol may I suggest wishing wells.. been hot these days and may make for a good cover.

Yes and the cost of bulbs. Not sure if anyone mentioned that

Cabi

Cabi

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Never heard of it. Seriously. Another light you guys are throwing at me? I just took an aspirin. I don’t have a headache but I know one’s coming
Sounds like you could use a big rip. Especially if looking at LED.. hahaha. Let the wars begin. Beware of LED rage if you start asking which is best.

I'ma just hang back and watch this time. Not getting sucked in.

Cabi

Cabi

Sounds like you could use a big rip. Especially if looking at LED.. hahaha. Let the wars begin. Beware of LED rage if you start asking which is best.

I see you now! You sir are an instigator. Ha. I’m starting to feel lightheaded

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

So. I have learned that the initial investment for a newbie on a new grow, if done correctly, can be a bit pricey.
:eek:
What, in your opinion, is a must have in a tent the first 2 to 3 weeks so maybe I don’t have to buy everything at once. If I need more money, Do you guys think if I went to the credit union, this would classify as a home improvement loan?
hahahah no but if your state is legal maybe a small bussiness loan hahaha doubtful

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

smart move,my opinion,if you not sitting on 1500 bucks ,dont even start to grow,a decent outfit is at that level of bank,it can pay back in one year then you bank

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i run a 400 hid in my 2x4x5 tent and have decent product,summer growing out if question but i am in a utilty room outside,those 2 cheap ass blurples at 300 watts each do just as good,same for a 4 bulb t5,i think when you just use what you got end game still have you barking at the moon in the end of the day,does a old man i know

Glassdub

Glassdub

Never heard of it. Seriously. Another light you guys are throwing at me? I just took an aspirin. I don’t have a headache but I know one’s coming
Has anyone? Google Eco Farm, you get nothing that isn't directly from them, doesn't exactly build confidence. 🤔

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

I literally started growing in a closet using Promix from Wally World with an LED. Nutes from Advanced Nutrients which are still being used and weren't that expensive. 2 plant max was a downside. For lighting the COB LED's are cheap and give lots of good light. Add an electrical timer. Seeds ordered online. Indica makes a better closet grow than sativa which can get big but it depends on what you want for effect from your weed.

Summer grow in progress now. As time has moved along went to Coco with autopots and 3 lights. Start small and grow the setup. You can save a lot of bucks growing your own and it's a hobby not a chore when done right.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
So0o0 have you bought anything for you’d tent yet? OP?

Top Bottom