If this tent's a rockin don't come a knockin

• Thread starter mrbong73
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

mrbong,
I think I may have a solution for you. Have a tilted table or a tray drain into a small catch bin. Toss a small water pump in there along with a float switch like this.

41qtrZb3BZL.jpg

I have this one, and it kicks ass. About the only bad thing that I can say about it is that the plug is extra large. It's very reliable, and cheap. Amazon has em for under $40 shipped.

By the way, the plants are looking amazing. Great job!

-TF

M

mrbong73

mrbong,
I think I may have a solution for you. Have a tilted table or a tray drain into a small catch bin. Toss a small water pump in there along with a float switch like this.

41qtrZb3BZL.jpg

I have this one, and it kicks ass. About the only bad thing that I can say about it is that the plug is extra large. It's very reliable, and cheap. Amazon has em for under $40 shipped.

By the way, the plants are looking amazing. Great job!

-TF

Thanks TF, I'm still in awe of your set up so all advice is much appreciated.

I may have to ditch the pool as it is a little large for the tent. I think a standard 4x4 tray would be fine. Although I have been tossing around the idea of doing a large soil bed using a very large smart pot but just not sure how that much soil would affect the humidity in the tent.

Another idea I have would be to use coco in my 3 gallon smarties. I may be able to use your idea of sloping tray and small pump to return runoff to a res. that would be outside the tent as I would prefer something other than dtw if possible.

TF I'd like to pick your brain on the sentinel controller and how to utilize something like that for my set up.

J

JAHGYDI

i have the same tent and im rockin a 4x4 smart pot soiless bed with 8 plants total. humidity isnt much of a problem for me. cameras broke ill try to get some pics this weekend.

M

mrbong73

i have the same tent and im rockin a 4x4 smart pot soiless bed with 8 plants total. humidity isnt much of a problem for me. cameras broke ill try to get some pics this weekend.

Nice! I'd like to see some pics of your set up. Feel free to post them here.
Do you use a tray under the fabric bed? How do you water?
Did you make the bed out of the smart pot material or buy something pre made?
Thanks.

J

JAHGYDI

Nice! I'd like to see some pics of your set up. Feel free to post them here.
Do you use a tray under the fabric bed? How do you water?
Did you make the bed out of the smart pot material or buy something pre made?
Thanks.

yeap tray for catching runoff when flushing. i water with teas and synthetics using a pump attacthed to a wand from my res. thinkin about automating a bit more and adding drippers or rings. i use runoff for my salsa garden. the bed is a 4x4 smart pot tray liner its a foot in depth. i dont have the 150 im running a 120 so it barely fits in mine. ill try to get some pics uploaded. jah bless

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Bad ass bud shots brah! Keep on killin' it... :rock

B

basement botany

Welcome to the 1000 watter club. I would suggest a portable AC over a window banger. Vent it outside via drier vent. You dump all that heat in your garage your tent will just cook and the AC will have to work that much harder. Plus it's stealthy. Next run switch to organic you will not have to worry about run off. Little to no run off no flushing no nute burn. Better tasting end product. Really no more time to flower than hydro feeding. Even if you use a kiddie pool you will have to dump that out to sounds nightmerish. Just my opinon though. Keep it simple. Pumps cost money and break eventually. Get clogged. Start adding stuff in the bottom of that tent you will subtract from your vertical space.

M

mrbong73

yeap tray for catching runoff when flushing. i water with teas and synthetics using a pump attacthed to a wand from my res. thinkin about automating a bit more and adding drippers or rings. i use runoff for my salsa garden. the bed is a 4x4 smart pot tray liner its a foot in depth. i dont have the 150 im running a 120 so it barely fits in mine. ill try to get some pics uploaded. jah bless
Right on. I just put in a dripper set up tonight with 1/2" tubing as a main line with 1/4 tubing coming off and doing ring around each pot. Will get pics soon.

Thanks Shady!

Welcome to the 1000 watter club. I would suggest a portable AC over a window banger. Vent it outside via drier vent. You dump all that heat in your garage your tent will just cook and the AC will have to work that much harder. Plus it's stealthy. Next run switch to organic you will not have to worry about run off. Little to no run off no flushing no nute burn. Better tasting end product. Really no more time to flower than hydro feeding. Even if you use a kiddie pool you will have to dump that out to sounds nightmerish. Just my opinon though. Keep it simple. Pumps cost money and break eventually. Get clogged. Start adding stuff in the bottom of that tent you will subtract from your vertical space.

The hot air dumps outside. (see pic, not finished but you get the idea).
Portables are the worst possible choice in AC. IMO
Other than my two coco plants I'm experimenting with everything else I do is 100% organic. Homemade soil mix and all.
Dump what? the little bit of runoff I get is gone in an hour or so.
Thanks for sharing though.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Thanks TF, I'm still in awe of your set up so all advice is much appreciated.

I may have to ditch the pool as it is a little large for the tent. I think a standard 4x4 tray would be fine. Although I have been tossing around the idea of doing a large soil bed using a very large smart pot but just not sure how that much soil would affect the humidity in the tent.

Another idea I have would be to use coco in my 3 gallon smarties. I may be able to use your idea of sloping tray and small pump to return runoff to a res. that would be outside the tent as I would prefer something other than dtw if possible.

TF I'd like to pick your brain on the sentinel controller and how to utilize something like that for my set up.

Thanks for the props man. Props to you and the green thumb. Much better skill than hi-tech knowledge in the end.

The 4x4 tray would be great for a bed or containers. I like that for the tent. It fills up more of the area than you could with the plastic roofing and gutter. Then use the catch bin underneath, with a pump hooked up to the float switch. You could run that dtw, or you could recycle that back into a tank if you prefer. Just out of curiosity, what is the desire to do a recirculating feed?

What would you like to know about the Sentinel climate controllers? I have both a EVC-2 for veg and a CHHC-4 for flower.

The EVC-2 is much cheaper to buy, but does less. It will control a cooling or heating device, and a humidifier or de-humidifier. It is digital control and display for temp and humidity, and works well for what it does. It also has some BS Co2 mode, but I don't use that in veg, so no biggie. I run my 8k window banger off of it. I was running a humidifier controlled off it, but I got a new humidifier with a digital humidistat, so I just use the one built in the humidifier instead. That humidifier as it turns out won't work with the sentinel anyhow. Side note with these units. You always need to make sure that your devices power on and start working when you plug in the power cord, that way the Sentinel works well. Oh, there is one BIG screw up with this unit. It does NOT remember temp and humidity preferences if the power goes out. It goes to 10% humidity, and 32F setting when it powers back up. You room will be at max cold then you co to check on the girls. Could be worse, and not power back up automatically at all.

The CHHC-4 is way more money, but it is the mac daddy. It does cooling, heating, humidity + or -, and real Co2 control. I use it mainly for my dehumidifier and Co2 management. It runs my CAP 4 burner propane burner, and a frigidaire dehuey. I love that at a glance, I can see from outside the room what the current temps, RH, and Co2 levels are at. Easy to help you spot potential problems. And oh yeah, it remembers settings if it loses power.

I think you got it right there on that one. I have a mini split, a window banger, and a portable all in my setup. The mini split is the shit, the window banger is very respectable, and my portable is noisy, and I have to have a carbon filter on the outlet to tame smells. I will be replacing it with another wall unit.

I totally agree. Ready to sample :bong-hits:

B

basement botany

Right on. I just put in a dripper set up tonight with 1/2" tubing as a main line with 1/4 tubing coming off and doing ring around each pot. Will get pics soon.

Thanks Shady!

Other than my two coco plants I'm experimenting with everything else I do is 100% organic. Homemade soil mix and all.
Dump what? the little bit of runoff I get is gone in an hour or so.
Thanks for sharing though.

That looks like you cut down a forest to make it. It's bulky if I read correctly you dump outside by cracking the garage door. Sounds like a security issue. Although a window banger will help keep humidity in check it isn't a true dehumidifier which most portables are. A portable can be vented outside like a drier vent or can easily be tied into a exsisting chimney or dumped into an attic space. And the exhaust to the outside is only 5 inches big. A portable usually has wheels can be moved easily and are as effcient as a any window banger I have ever used. You don't need a window to exhaust your heat. Price of portable about same as a window unit. I paid 100 for mine and 20 dollars for ducting and drier nossel. It has a remote and like I said doubles as a true dehumidifier. A portable will work in places where a window unit will not. Try putting a window unit in a room with no windows in a basement where would you dump the heat. Or room inside your dwelling that has no windows again what to do with that heat. So I respectivly disagree with your opinion. And I am organic all the way to so props on that.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

The seer rating on a window unit is usually much higher than a portable, so in the long run, they do cost more. The smell factor makes it not so stealthy. Yes, I would admit that a window banger conversion is more labor intensive, and bulky, but the operation is much better. My 8k window unit that is $150 beats my $400 LG 12k unit hands down. Besides, isn't a big portable AC in a small tent take up a lot of real estate inside? Just my biased opinions.....

-TF

M

mrbong73

That looks like you cut down a forest to make it. It's bulky if I read correctly you dump outside by cracking the garage door. Sounds like a security issue. Although a window banger will help keep humidity in check it isn't a true dehumidifier which most portables are. A portable can be vented outside like a drier vent or can easily be tied into a exsisting chimney or dumped into an attic space. And the exhaust to the outside is only 5 inches big. A portable usually has wheels can be moved easily and are as effcient as a any window banger I have ever used. You don't need a window to exhaust your heat. Price of portable about same as a window unit. I paid 100 for mine and 20 dollars for ducting and drier nossel. It has a remote and like I said doubles as a true dehumidifier. A portable will work in places where a window unit will not. Try putting a window unit in a room with no windows in a basement where would you dump the heat. Or room inside your dwelling that has no windows again what to do with that heat. So I respectivly disagree with your opinion. And I am organic all the way to so props on that.
That's all fine and good but in the end I just bought and installed a window unit so that's that.

M

mrbong73

The seer rating on a window unit is usually much higher than a portable, so in the long run, they do cost more. The smell factor makes it not so stealthy. Yes, I would admit that a window banger conversion is more labor intensive, and bulky, but the operation is much better. My 8k window unit that is $150 beats my $400 LG 12k unit hands down. Besides, isn't a big portable AC in a small tent take up a lot of real estate inside? Just my biased opinions.....

-TF

Thanks for stopping through TF, I need to go back and read you're previous post in a min.
I'm stoked on my AC right now. It's been hot and the tent has been chillin.

Basement,
sorry dude, got a little defensive but respect you're input.
Cheers.

B

basement botany

Thanks for stopping through TF, I need to go back and read you're previous post in a min.
I'm stoked on my AC right now. It's been hot and the tent has been chillin.

Basement,
sorry dude, got a little defensive but respect you're input.
Cheers.

No worries not offened like I said the goal is to inform people. So they can choose what's best for their situation. Both have their pluses and minuses. In the end we all do things just a little bit differently than one another. We don't always see eye to eye but intelligent thoughtful debate is good for everyone it's how we learn and grow literally ha. I like your set up I have said so in earlier posts. And before this debate I liked window units less than I do now you and others have pointed out things that didn't occur to me before. And before seeing a tent set up in a a garge I wouldn't have amagined trying it. Kudos to you sir.
To the point of the other guy and putting a portable in a tent I wouldn't either. I was thinking more along the lines of outside the tent. Similar to the way he has it set up with the window unit. Build a pedistal to set it on get it up to the flap in the tent or whatever and have it on the outside of the tent. I wholeheartedly argree space in the tent is valuable realestate horizontally and vertical. Plus you have to drain the unit easier on a pedistal put a bucket underneigth or a hose to a floor drain. Simple drier ehaust. His deal is done however it may be just what the doctor ordered for someone else doing a simular setup. Just my thoughts. I don't know about all these giant btu units some of these guys are using either. Maybe they have multiple 1k lights or something or live closer to the surface of the sun than I do. Mine is a 6000 btu and handels a 1000 watter open air in a 12x12 room it's quite and doesn't run my E bill through the roof either. Like all things in life I guess there are good products and there are bad ones to. There are also 2 t5 hoods 12 bulbs 4 footers in the same room in a big cabnet that put off heat to and it just handels it. This is my 3rd summer using it. Doesn't run in the winter at all. Enough of my ramblings talk to you guys latters. Gotta go smoke some tatters.

mike hunt

mike hunt

Premium Member
Supporter
A 200 gallon smartpot fits in a 4x4 tray.

M

mrbong73

A 200 gallon smartpot fits in a 4x4 tray.

That's what I've been thinking about. 200 or 150 even the 100 would be a good size bed. I think the 200 is 50" so it would have to stuff a little.

mike hunt

mike hunt

Premium Member
Supporter
That's what I've been thinking about. 200 or 150 even the 100 would be a good size bed. I think the 200 is 50" so it would have to stuff a little.

be a helluva bed!

M

mrbong73

Ha ha hell ya it'd be a massive organic soil food web love fest in there lol

J

JAHGYDI

smart pot makes a 4x4 square. my tray is like your table but i put a 2 inch lip all around and a drain in the middle. just tall enough for a 2 gallon bucket underneath. 16 cubic feet of goddness.

M

mrbong73

Thanks for the props man. Props to you and the green thumb. Much better skill than hi-tech knowledge in the end.

The 4x4 tray would be great for a bed or containers. I like that for the tent. It fills up more of the area than you could with the plastic roofing and gutter. Then use the catch bin underneath, with a pump hooked up to the float switch. You could run that dtw, or you could recycle that back into a tank if you prefer. Just out of curiosity, what is the desire to do a recirculating feed?

What would you like to know about the Sentinel climate controllers? I have both a EVC-2 for veg and a CHHC-4 for flower.

The EVC-2 is much cheaper to buy, but does less. It will control a cooling or heating device, and a humidifier or de-humidifier. It is digital control and display for temp and humidity, and works well for what it does. It also has some BS Co2 mode, but I don't use that in veg, so no biggie. I run my 8k window banger off of it. I was running a humidifier controlled off it, but I got a new humidifier with a digital humidistat, so I just use the one built in the humidifier instead. That humidifier as it turns out won't work with the sentinel anyhow. Side note with these units. You always need to make sure that your devices power on and start working when you plug in the power cord, that way the Sentinel works well. Oh, there is one BIG screw up with this unit. It does NOT remember temp and humidity preferences if the power goes out. It goes to 10% humidity, and 32F setting when it powers back up. You room will be at max cold then you co to check on the girls. Could be worse, and not power back up automatically at all.

The CHHC-4 is way more money, but it is the mac daddy. It does cooling, heating, humidity + or -, and real Co2 control. I use it mainly for my dehumidifier and Co2 management. It runs my CAP 4 burner propane burner, and a frigidaire dehuey. I love that at a glance, I can see from outside the room what the current temps, RH, and Co2 levels are at. Easy to help you spot potential problems. And oh yeah, it remembers settings if it loses power.
Thanks for the breakdown TrichromeFan. The CHHC-4 does sound badass but may have to wait for a while.
Right now I'm trying to figure out how to run my AC and exhaust fan to control temp and humidty. When the AC is on cooling the humidty is fine but when the compressor kicks off the humidity spikes.
I may also use an active intake during the winter to help cool the tent but would need it to work with the AC and exhaust. I will end up wanting some co2 control as well I'm sure.
Still thinking on all of this.

smart pot makes a 4x4 square. my tray is like your table but i put a 2 inch lip all around and a drain in the middle. just tall enough for a 2 gallon bucket underneath. 16 cubic feet of goddness.

That sounds pretty killer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom