I'll Never Do That Again!

• Thread starter DrMcSkunkins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Starting this thread to collect the knowledge of the unwanted.

I used to tell people to smear vaseline on their stalks to stop bugs from crawling up the stems. I did this in early veg and it made my stalk rubbery and my plants suffered. Never smear vaseline on the stalks unless its late flower, use double sided tape instead, It's stretchy and won't harm your plant.

I used to tell people to use top dressing or gnat gnix, imo it works exactly the opposite as it says. The top dressing holds in moisture, emiting an odor of rancid evaporating water that attracts the gnats.

Sand is the only top dressing I recommend at the time.

Please post anything that you messed up on or found out you were wrong about that could benefit other people.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter

I used to tell people to smear vaseline on their stalks to stop bugs from crawling up the stems. I did this in early veg and it made my stalk rubbery and my plants suffered. Never smear vaseline on the stalks unless its late flower, use double sided tape instead, It's stretchy and won't harm your plant.

I used to tell people to use top dressing or gnat gnix, imo it works exactly the opposite as it says. The top dressing holds in moisture, emiting an odor of rancid evaporating water that attracts the gnats.

Please post anything that you messed up on or found out you were wrong about that could benefit other people.
Sound advice to the new players I use a old kitchen sponge that I tape on and cover that with axel grease stop the ant traffic you can reduce 90% of the nasty critters .

M

MamaBear

My very first grow, spider mites, sprayed with Neem very late in flower. I don't care what the bottle says, buds smelled/tasted like crap even though I gave them a rinse-off a few days later.

2nd year growing - spider mites again - made an herbal mix (peppermint & rosemary oils) to spray. Burned/bleached the hell out of the leaves and spider mites didn't care at all.

I quit using sand. Doesn't stop the gnats. Perlite works better - save all the fine stuff from the bottom of the bag.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I always try to keep my tent zippers at the top of the tent door now because when I opened the door one day the air rushing in blew gnat gnix and perlite from one plant all over the buds of a plant behind it.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter

Lmao... lubin your stalk .... i think a little pee came out

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I always try to keep my tent zippers at the top of the tent door now because when I opened the door one day the air rushing in blew gnat gnix and perlite from one plant all over the buds of a plant behind it.
Thats the reason I will never buy gnat gnix again, the gnats crawl through it like its a ball pit at chuck e cheese and now I have to make concentrate out of a whole plant or get out the tweezers and start picking out little white specks...
Unzipped the tent and it was like a fan just blew the rocks right onto the plants behind it.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Lmao... lubin your stalk .... i think a little pee came out
I had spider mites on a few plants so I smeared a dab of petroleum jelly around all my stalks to help prevent spreading. I had done it before but only in flower. The ones that were in veg now have rubbery stalks where the vaseline was and I had to stake them to keep them from falling over. It works to prevent aphids mites and other pests off your plants but I would only do it as a last resort in flower now.

Neter Sentra

Neter Sentra

I like organicide. The new formulation causes for way less. It it's basically just fish oil. It'll still stink up a storm but no big deal very effective when used early on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom