I'm about to Quit growing. Need Help please.

• Thread starter Frosty.McDanknugs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Frosty.McDanknugs

Hey all I humbly apologize for the long winded post but at this point I'm so discouraged that I'm about to give up growing altogether over this. I just murdered my 2nd tray of clones in a row. Do you have ANY idea what the heck is going on with my clones by looking at these images? They were taken from mothers that seem happy and healthy and green.

Been growing for 11 years. I have been fortunate enough to have been getting rooted clones from a friend for this entire time. I have tried cloning a few times over the years with limited success. Like when my friend, a few times, brought me unrooted cuts to clone. I've usually killed about 50% of them for whatever reason but I've still managed to root enough of them to create a 10 plant grow.

In any case, I haven't tried cloning in 6 years. I've been dreading it. My friend who gave me rooted clones over the years moved to another state a few weeks ago which I also dreaded. But before he left he gave me 3 mothers. I have tried making cuts and cloning from the mothers for the last month and I have murdered two trays of 20 clones each. I have no idea how. All I have is these photos to show you. It's seriously embarrassing not to mention a waste of time, money, and emotional energy..

Not to be Mr. negative but I just spent 2k on a brand new grow room set up in my new home and so far it's a total waste. I have absolutely no idea what the heck i'm doing wrong but I keep getting this same result as in the photos. I'm completely in shock, wasting weeks and weeks of time.

I feel like I've done at least most everything correctly.

Here's my process.........I've let rapid rooters soak in a gallon of bottled water and 4 tsp clone-x solution just like the bottle says. I then squeeze water out of rapid rooters so they're not soaked but still damp. Cut clones at a 45 degree angle using a sterilized razor. After I make a cut the cut goes right into a cup of water to avoid air bubbles. I do a minor scrape with a sterilized razor to the bottom of the clone, cut tips of most leaves, dip the cut in clone-x gel and then place the clone directly into damp rapid rooters. I use streril scissors to make small hole in opposite side of rooter so when its in the tray it doesn't slip all the way down into the water. Rapid Rooters with clones in the tray are then placed directly into the clone dome with water in another tray under clones so as to not touch the rooters but have water under for evaporation. I Place a heat mat set to 80 degrees under the dome to create a nice humid and warm environment in which the dome is covered with moisture whenever I view it. The Digital thermometer I have placed at rooter level inside the dome usually reads between 78-80 degrees.

Didn't crack my dome for about 5 days then opened vents 1/4 turn for about an hour and re-closed the dome so I wouldn't dry out the rooters. Next day I opened vents a little longer and then closed the dome. I noticed this browning on the leaves after about 5 days and it just gets worse and worse. Now day 8 and look at them. Basically all dead or dying. I have them under a little 4 bulb 2 foot T5. I keep them about 10 feet away from the light the first day and move them a little closer every day until they are directly under the light by day 3 or 4. (about 3 feet under the light.) Can you offer any opinions as to what the heck I'm doing wrong based on the photos and/or my description of my process? Thanks Peeps!

Im about to quit growing  need help please
Im about to quit growing  need help please 2
Im about to quit growing  need help please 3
Im about to quit growing  need help please 4
Im about to quit growing  need help please 5
Im about to quit growing  need help please 6
GoblinSmasher

GoblinSmasher

I would cut all leaves except the upper pair. Those i cut the tips off. Roots come out at node levels so I try to keep a couple nodes underneath..

Expect leaves to crumble up a bit. The cut draws energy from them to make roots.

I used an aerodome. It makes cloning a breeze.

Seems to me you got many things right to make it a success. Dont give up, at worst take a walk away ;)

Or give up if you really want to

Kevuk

Kevuk

Never seen that before. Weird.

Cloning is easy. Something in the environment must be wrong. I think your cubes are too wet.

I would simplify things.

I don’t pre soak root riot cubes I use. They should be damp but not wet.

I would loose the tray of water underneath the clones and just mist the dome once a day.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

The leaves seem mega moist. Too moist. And honestly too much leaf for clones IMO, especially if struggling.

When you make the 45* cut with the razor, are you immediately putting it in water or the rooting gel? You don't want air hitting the cut - gotta work fast.

Are you getting any roots at all? Can you bust open one of the pucks and show a pic? I'm guessing it is a ball of goo at the tip where you cut and not roots. If thats the case, I got ideas for ya.

Anthem

Anthem

Just learning myself, but looks to warm and to much humidy ? Cut the water tray out , if they need water spray the rooters from the top
This and maybe just one tube of light. I can 99 percent success with exactly what you are doing minus the head mat the water tray and I have them under 1 24" T5 light. 10 to 12 days in it is warm outside they will sprout faster

Anthem

Anthem

Dome should be removed once a day and sprayed with fresh water.

Leaves need humidity to stop transpiration but it’s the last thing root formation needs.
I do exactly what he is doing 5 days nothing and it works every single time

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

Are you taking your clones from the bottom portion of the mother plant? It is hard to root plants from upper cuts as there is more rooting hormones in the lower branches.

Maybe try a different rooting hormone. I use KLN. I think it’s a general hydroponics product. Just a tsp in a gallon of PH’d water does the trick for me. I pre soak the root roots in that then do every like you are doing. Maybe they need more air?

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Dome should be removed once a day and sprayed with fresh water.

Leaves need humidity to stop transpiration but it’s the last thing root formation needs.
This is the answer.. You need to exchange the air in your dome AT LEAST once at day. Waiting 5 days is way too long.

I have my vents opened up around by around day 2 or 3 and try to remove the dome completely in around 5 or 7 days. If they droop, the dome goes back on.

P

Pike

Too much water and heat that’s why those leafs look rotted.
I agree, get your dome off the mat, I use split bamboo. Use whatever works just about 1/2 off. Don’t put a pond under them, just wet the tray, and water up to the ribs on the bottom. Do not squeeze water outta the cubes, just a quick mild shake. Prep your cubes, soak in phed water, you can use 1/4 strength veg nute for a conditioner or buy rock wool conditioner.

place closed dome over um for 2 days, crack all your vents and watch um, if they sag, shut um up for lights off and open when the lights come back on.

if your cubes start to get dry, dip um in phed water, don’t soak, just dip the cube half way in and pull out quick. Watch the bottom tray, when it gets dry, the cuts will sag as well, just add a bit to the tray.

m8ty

m8ty

That's mold from too much water / humidity, lower the temps to 75 and keep the dome dry if you have more than a drop of water on the dome it's too humid and your clones will rot, keep the vents open a little to help keep the humidity less than 100% and prevent mold rot.

AngeRBizcuTT480

AngeRBizcuTT480

Hey my friend, looks to me like you have the lights on too high and the environment is too hot/moist. The clones appear to be drowning in too high heat/humidity while under too much light.Try using a bit smallerpot for medium like a egg carton this will increase the amount of oxygen getting to the roots and will prevent excess moisture from building up. Lose the heat matt and drop temps to between 75 and 80 degrees don't go above 80 degrees. Do not mist clones the first week make sure to steep feed them.The brown curling clones looks like the cuts are suffocating to death under intense light and heat. Also remember that a constantly wet clone cannot breath. The first week don't allow a full dry back but keep it damp,after week 1 you need to let the soil start drying out much more,the goal is to stimulate the clone to pursue water and food. Water clones at pH of 6.8 clones prefer slightly acidic water and ALWAYS use starter dirt or organic dirt with low nute availability to avoid burning ,stunting,or killing clones.Also wait til day 10 or later to start hardening off the clones keep the in a steady 75 to 80 degree temps with 90% humidity first 3 days then 80% and leave it that way until you harden them off around day 10 These are the tips I implemented and my clone rate is 85%. Don't give up on growing my friend. These types of situations are what make you better at farming. I too have had and continue to have bad grows that just don't make any damn sense. I have also been very close to giving up,but I stuck with it and now I'm grateful to all the nice souls that encouraged me to grind it out and keep trying. Eventually you will wake up and you will be the one giving advice. You got this bro,the quality of info on thcfarmer is top notch !! Stay strong my boy,the green machines will live lol

Heartagain

Heartagain

Hey all I humbly apologize for the long winded post but at this point I'm so discouraged that I'm about to give up growing altogether over this. I just murdered my 2nd tray of clones in a row. Do you have ANY idea what the heck is going on with my clones by looking at these images? They were taken from mothers that seem happy and healthy and green.

Been growing for 11 years. I have been fortunate enough to have been getting rooted clones from a friend for this entire time. I have tried cloning a few times over the years with limited success. Like when my friend, a few times, brought me unrooted cuts to clone. I've usually killed about 50% of them for whatever reason but I've still managed to root enough of them to create a 10 plant grow.

In any case, I haven't tried cloning in 6 years. I've been dreading it. My friend who gave me rooted clones over the years moved to another state a few weeks ago which I also dreaded. But before he left he gave me 3 mothers. I have tried making cuts and cloning from the mothers for the last month and I have murdered two trays of 20 clones each. I have no idea how. All I have is these photos to show you. It's seriously embarrassing not to mention a waste of time, money, and emotional energy..

Not to be Mr. negative but I just spent 2k on a brand new grow room set up in my new home and so far it's a total waste. I have absolutely no idea what the heck i'm doing wrong but I keep getting this same result as in the photos. I'm completely in shock, wasting weeks and weeks of time.

I feel like I've done at least most everything correctly.

Here's my process.........I've let rapid rooters soak in a gallon of bottled water and 4 tsp clone-x solution just like the bottle says. I then squeeze water out of rapid rooters so they're not soaked but still damp. Cut clones at a 45 degree angle using a sterilized razor. After I make a cut the cut goes right into a cup of water to avoid air bubbles. I do a minor scrape with a sterilized razor to the bottom of the clone, cut tips of most leaves, dip the cut in clone-x gel and then place the clone directly into damp rapid rooters. I use streril scissors to make small hole in opposite side of rooter so when its in the tray it doesn't slip all the way down into the water. Rapid Rooters with clones in the tray are then placed directly into the clone dome with water in another tray under clones so as to not touch the rooters but have water under for evaporation. I Place a heat mat set to 80 degrees under the dome to create a nice humid and warm environment in which the dome is covered with moisture whenever I view it. The Digital thermometer I have placed at rooter level inside the dome usually reads between 78-80 degrees.

Didn't crack my dome for about 5 days then opened vents 1/4 turn for about an hour and re-closed the dome so I wouldn't dry out the rooters. Next day I opened vents a little longer and then closed the dome. I noticed this browning on the leaves after about 5 days and it just gets worse and worse. Now day 8 and look at them. Basically all dead or dying. I have them under a little 4 bulb 2 foot T5. I keep them about 10 feet away from the light the first day and move them a little closer every day until they are directly under the light by day 3 or 4. (about 3 feet under the light.) Can you offer any opinions as to what the heck I'm doing wrong based on the photos and/or my description of my process? Thanks Peeps!
Bro never quit everyone goes through it make sure if using notes ure mixing properly as in don't tip a n b together and add water get your nutrients perfect which the u
They should be at a 1/4 if it's to strong u can lock out stuff start slow and learn right keep reading books and and before u know it ull be pumping. Much luck an love

Heartagain

Heartagain

Hey my friend, looks to me like you have the lights on too high and the environment is too hot/moist. The clones appear to be drowning in too high heat/humidity while under too much light.Try using a bit smallerpot for medium like a egg carton this will increase the amount of oxygen getting to the roots and will prevent excess moisture from building up. Lose the heat matt and drop temps to between 75 and 80 degrees don't go above 80 degrees. Do not mist clones the first week make sure to steep feed them.The brown curling clones looks like the cuts are suffocating to death under intense light and heat. Also remember that a constantly wet clone cannot breath. The first week don't allow a full dry back but keep it damp,after week 1 you need to let the soil start drying out much more,the goal is to stimulate the clone to pursue water and food. Water clones at pH of 6.8 clones prefer slightly acidic water and ALWAYS use starter dirt or organic dirt with low nute availability to avoid burning ,stunting,or killing clones.Also wait til day 10 or later to start hardening off the clones keep the in a steady 75 to 80 degree temps with 90% humidity first 3 days then 80% and leave it that way until you harden them off around day 10 These are the tips I implemented and my clone rate is 85%. Don't give up on growing my friend. These types of situations are what make you better at farming. I too have had and continue to have bad grows that just don't make any damn sense. I have also been very close to giving up,but I stuck with it and now I'm grateful to all the nice souls that encouraged me to grind it out and keep trying. Eventually you will wake up and you will be the one giving advice. You got this bro,the quality of info on thcfarmer is top notch !! Stay strong my boy,the green machines will live living them air once a day can also helps just a minute

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Ditch the rooting hormone too much auxins can lead to paradoxical effects that actually prevents rooting

Lower temps to reduce bacterial growth & plant metabolism

Reduce leaf surface further and keep embedded nodes always in contact with water and strictly away from light

Light - very low irradiance but 24/0 and should contain more blue than red and very little green or farred

Water - mild tap or RO/rain keep Na or Cl out

rH - not fully saturated 80-90% max and allow steady minor gas exchange or fungus may take hold

Another option would be to use air-layering, there are ready-to-use "eggs", but it's more clunky than normal rooting and not really necessary.

Btw the motherplant - it needs to grow healthily (although it's possible to root clones from plants taken late in flower but it's much harder to pull off).... if mother is stunted by stress the cuts usually don't do well.... especially overfertilization with too much nitrogen, generally too high EC or some kind of lockout and your chances of success will be reduced by alot. the old shoots that have woody stems already root worse imo

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Those domes were meant to be slowly opened. Opening up at twenty five percent and left open, increasing until all openings are open and allowing an air flow in. The foliage is staying way too wet opening you up to rot and molds. This is what causes damping off. Hang in there! I use the method you are or did my Hubby just bought me a hydro cloner, so far I am loving it. The method works, just add air 🙂

Top Bottom