I'm an asshole-le-o-le-o-le-o-le-o-le-o (Dennis Leary anyone?)

• Thread starter TheOmicronic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheOmicronic

So. I don't know how to start threads.

I am a first-time grower and quite honestly, I've kind of half-assed (more like 3/4-assed) everything.

My brother did a grow at the start of the year which got me interested in attempting it for myself.

I smoke a joint per day, which some people would consider a lot, and some people would consider nothing. But I thought to myself; how nifty would it be to grow my own, instead of having to buy it...

I asked my brother where he got his seeds from, and apparently it involved bitcoins and overseas shipping (he began his adventure in growing before Cannabis was legal here) and that sounded like a huge pain in the ass. So I asked another friend, who put me in touch with ANOTHER friend, who sold me some clones for 5 bucks. Perfect. I was the proud owner of a few tiny Bubba Kush plants.

May 1st   001

Now what?! I had no idea how to care for these plants. And every house-plant I've ever owned has died a gruesome death. I know plants need light, so I shoved the plants on the top shelf of my pantry, directly underneath 2x100W normal everyday light bulbs. I knew this would only be a temporary solution, and, my wife immediately commented on the smell. I just needed to buy myself 24-hours.

I started doing a ton of reading (and whoa-boy there's a lot of [mis]information out there) and came up with a plan. I pulled up Amazon and ordered -overnight- basically the cheapest grow light I could find (600W LED). Then I grabbed a big plastic rubber-maid bin and taped a bunch of tinfoil to the inside. And setup a box fan in the basement window. See the ghetto-setup below.

May 1st   002
May 1st   003

After about a week, the plants had doubled in height.

May 8th   001

After 2-3 weeks, they tripled in height! (I know the container says OG Kush, but it was a re-used container, and I have been assured the plants are Bubba) The Pyrex measuring cup was used to scoop water out of the other medium sized blue plastic rubber-maid container and water the plants. The water in the blue tub came from my aquarium after doing my weekly water change. In my mind, I figured aquarium water would be perfect for use growing cannabis... It's already perfectly pH balanced, it's full of nutrients, etc.

Im an asshole le o le o le o le o le o dennis leary anyone 5

Right around the 1-month mark, I decided it was time to get serious. A friend of mine just-so-happened to have a brand new 4x4x8 grow tent that he wasn't using, and he gave it to me for free (I would have given him a reach-around at least). Score! And then it was back to Amazon to order some cloth pots. I went with 10-gallon pots because they seemed to be the best bang for my buck. I think I paid 20 bucks? I also picked up some 25kg bags of plain old topsoil from the local garden center... They were on sale for $2 each. Last but not least, I went to my parents farm and grabbed a couple of 5-gallon pails full of mulch. Mostly wood shavings and horse manure. I took my pails from the center of pile, mulch that was nearly a year old, fully composted.
[Side note: at the end of every year, I am the one responsible for hopping on the tractor and distributing the manure pile evenly all over the farm, in the trees, flower beds, etc. The pine trees surrounding the farm have shot up like crazy ever since we started this practice - hence why I figured it would probably be great for my cannabis plants] Pics below.

Beginning of Transplant day:
Im an asshole le o le o le o le o le o dennis leary anyone 6

After Transplanting:
Im an asshole le o le o le o le o le o dennis leary anyone 7

New grow tent all setup;
Im an asshole le o le o le o le o le o dennis leary anyone 8

As this is my first grow, and I have no idea what I'm doing, I wanted to do it cheaply - that way if I failed miserably, I wouldn't be out of pocket very much. My brother, on the other hand, dove straight in and spent $1000 on a fancy grow bulb, liquid nutrients, etc, etc... I decided to keep using my cheap $100 LED grow light. I bought some plastic shelving to use, and also invested in a cheap 6" duct fan, and ran some 6" dryer hose out the basement window, to keep the smell out of my house.

After just 1 week (week 5 of veg, for those of us counting) in fresh soil, with compost, and aquarium water - the plants were looking really good!

June 6th

Week 6 and Week 7 below:

Week620inches

The little guy in the middle was just a random houseplant I thought I'd try to bring back to life in the grow tent. It worked!
Week724inches

Week 8:
Week826 inches

For week 9, I pulled everything out of the tent, the light couldn't raise any higher, and the plants were getting too close. I removed the shelving and scrubbed the floor of the tent clean (it was quite brown from dry run-off). I also picked my first couple of dead leaves off the very bottom of the plants. It's time to switch from veg to flower. I flipped the switch on my LED light and adjusted my automatic timer. Went from 18/6 to 12/12. No, I did not do it gradually, an hour per day, because "ain't nobody got time for dat!"

Week930inches

July 7th   002

July 7th   003

Unfortunately, after switching to flower, my life got VERY hectic. Work was insanely busy, I was out of town almost every weekend, and I have literally ZERO pictures of weeks 10-12. And to top it all off, I had scheduled vacation coming up, and I was going to be away from home for 8-10 days. I watered the absolute fuck out of my babies (I really do feel like a proud papa to these plant-girls) and crossed my fingers.

I just got home yesterday, the plants have been in flower for 4 weeks now (week 10, 11, 12, and 13) and here's what they look like today;
Im an asshole le o le o le o le o le o dennis leary anyone 16

There are bud sites forming! I am very VERY excited.

I will update this thread as is prudent. Thank you anyone/everyone who decided to read this rambling nonsense.

B

Burned Haze

Tip not trying to sound argumentative or negative in anyway ( itā€™s just something I learned in years of growing )

Clones, only good if your making sure that plants properly IPMed and precautions......

donā€™t trust anyone cause that doesnā€™t mean the person involved with clone knows his stuff is infected , what are they going to do when your infected ? ( hell it can even be shippping plant it grow or so many factors to get contamination too) , drench it, spray it and keep it quarantined for a few days and repeat a spray and see if you find any pest. If no after a few days = give plants access to your grow rooms and spray on daily and scan .

Trust me it ainā€™t worth it if you arenā€™t willing to do the precautions and IPM(I was too cocky when I started out and trusted too many or bought too many clones, hints why now Iā€™m a ā€œ pheno hunter ā€œ and seed guy

T

TheOmicronic

I'm going to be honest - I have no idea what you just said.

But today is literally day 100 of my grow, and I haven't seen a single bug in my tent.

The person I got the clones from is a professional grower, certified and licensed by the government, who grows on a very large scale. If that makes any difference.

I also decided, after giving it next-to-no thought, and very minimal reading/research... To do some defoliation. You can see how bushy the plants are above (Week 13 picture) and the after pictures will be attached below;

I started by removing all the "garbage" looking leaves and branches at the very bottom of each plant. And then moved onto removing approximately a half-dozen of the very largest and shadow-inducing fan leaves from each plant.

20190805 104828

Aftermath; (I also plucked any dead organic material, or leaves which looked unhealthy, crispy, etc)
20190807 203722

Finished product:

20190807 203040

Current Height:

20190807 203341

I was quite nervous while I was doing the pruning. As I had told myself I wanted to do this (my very first) grow as natural as possible. But the allure of POTENTIALLY higher yield was too tantalizing to pass up. I guess time will tell. I'm not looking to make this a day job. lol. I'm not even sure I want to make this a hobby. Although it kind of feels like one already. I just hope I didn't shock the plants too much.

All I know is - my parents whooped my ass when I was growing up, and I turned out bigger and stronger than I otherwise would have. So hopefully my plants do the same.

B

Burned Haze

In veg you want to keep as many leafs as possible but. Remove the dead leafs and super yellow in veg stage, first day of flower ā€œ lollipop ā€œ the plant , meaning remove all the bottom leafs , google ā€œlollipopping cannabisā€ and youā€™ll have that set.( Right after they stretch ) Step 2 in flower 11-14 days in flower stage remove the major fan leafs that coves any big bud that is forming . Trust me those mid-small leafs will get big by then and you will have to do a 3-4 total in cycle deleaf ā€˜s to make it perfect . Step 3 deleaf is 20-23rd day I suggest and remove any big fan leaf that is covering your buds ( itā€™s not about removing tons of leafs , itā€™s about not shading your plant and airflow and energy towards the buds, hints why bottom or mid range buds are always smalller than the top bud , light = energy ) than 4-6th week keep deleafing and hermie and IPM scan all the through .

Thatā€™s the way I do it, I now get better air flow . Now resulting in bigger and more efficient buds but also no pm or budrot + way less chances for pest to hide.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheOmicronic

Update. Week 15 pictures. I've had to add a small bamboo pole to assist one of the plants from toppling over. I'm not sure why? But that plant feels very loose where the trunk enters the soil. All of the other plants are very rigid at the base. Also, someone told me that weed is supposed to double in size after switching to flower? My plants have hardly gained any height whatsoever after switching to flower.

August 21st   001

BUDS ARE GETTING BIGGER BY THE DAY!
August 21st   002

Zoomed out shot...
August 21st   003

I removed some more of those yellow/dead leaves after taking that picture.

By my calculations, I should be ready for harvest around September 15th. (From the information I was able to lookup, Bubba kush apparently has a 70 day flowering period) So about another 3 weeks?

I haven't really been able to get an accurate count on the number of buds per plant, but, I don't think I'm going to end up with anywhere near the yield I was hoping for... Which is kind of a bummer. But it's my very first grow ever, so anything yielded is more than I had before.

There are some very very small buds at the bottom of the plant, and there's no way they're going to be ready for harvest in 3 weeks. What do most people do with those? Garbage? Harvest in a staggered schedule allowing the lower flowers more time to grow? What?

Reactions: Ina
T

TheOmicronic

No answers to my noob questions? Come on guru's!

Here's a closeup of one of the buds. Sorry for the purple hue, I took the picture with the grow light still turned on.

20190821 174130
Reactions: Ina
MadSciNtst

MadSciNtst

Since
So. I don't know how to start threads.

I am a first-time grower and quite honestly, I've kind of half-assed (more like 3/4-assed) everything.

My brother did a grow at the start of the year which got me interested in attempting it for myself.

I smoke a joint per day, which some people would consider a lot, and some people would consider nothing. But I thought to myself; how nifty would it be to grow my own, instead of having to buy it...

I asked my brother where he got his seeds from, and apparently it involved bitcoins and overseas shipping (he began his adventure in growing before Cannabis was legal here) and that sounded like a huge pain in the ass. So I asked another friend, who put me in touch with ANOTHER friend, who sold me some clones for 5 bucks. Perfect. I was the proud owner of a few tiny Bubba Kush plants.

View attachment 886535

Now what?! I had no idea how to care for these plants. And every house-plant I've ever owned has died a gruesome death. I know plants need light, so I shoved the plants on the top shelf of my pantry, directly underneath 2x100W normal everyday light bulbs. I knew this would only be a temporary solution, and, my wife immediately commented on the smell. I just needed to buy myself 24-hours.

I started doing a ton of reading (and whoa-boy there's a lot of [mis]information out there) and came up with a plan. I pulled up Amazon and ordered -overnight- basically the cheapest grow light I could find (600W LED). Then I grabbed a big plastic rubber-maid bin and taped a bunch of tinfoil to the inside. And setup a box fan in the basement window. See the ghetto-setup below.

View attachment 886536View attachment 886537

After about a week, the plants had doubled in height.

View attachment 886539

After 2-3 weeks, they tripled in height! (I know the container says OG Kush, but it was a re-used container, and I have been assured the plants are Bubba) The Pyrex measuring cup was used to scoop water out of the other medium sized blue plastic rubber-maid container and water the plants. The water in the blue tub came from my aquarium after doing my weekly water change. In my mind, I figured aquarium water would be perfect for use growing cannabis... It's already perfectly pH balanced, it's full of nutrients, etc.

View attachment 886540

Right around the 1-month mark, I decided it was time to get serious. A friend of mine just-so-happened to have a brand new 4x4x8 grow tent that he wasn't using, and he gave it to me for free (I would have given him a reach-around at least). Score! And then it was back to Amazon to order some cloth pots. I went with 10-gallon pots because they seemed to be the best bang for my buck. I think I paid 20 bucks? I also picked up some 25kg bags of plain old topsoil from the local garden center... They were on sale for $2 each. Last but not least, I went to my parents farm and grabbed a couple of 5-gallon pails full of mulch. Mostly wood shavings and horse manure. I took my pails from the center of pile, mulch that was nearly a year old, fully composted.
[Side note: at the end of every year, I am the one responsible for hopping on the tractor and distributing the manure pile evenly all over the farm, in the trees, flower beds, etc. The pine trees surrounding the farm have shot up like crazy ever since we started this practice - hence why I figured it would probably be great for my cannabis plants] Pics below.

Beginning of Transplant day:
View attachment 886542

After Transplanting:
View attachment 886543

New grow tent all setup;
View attachment 886544

As this is my first grow, and I have no idea what I'm doing, I wanted to do it cheaply - that way if I failed miserably, I wouldn't be out of pocket very much. My brother, on the other hand, dove straight in and spent $1000 on a fancy grow bulb, liquid nutrients, etc, etc... I decided to keep using my cheap $100 LED grow light. I bought some plastic shelving to use, and also invested in a cheap 6" duct fan, and ran some 6" dryer hose out the basement window, to keep the smell out of my house.

After just 1 week (week 5 of veg, for those of us counting) in fresh soil, with compost, and aquarium water - the plants were looking really good!

View attachment 886545

Week 6 and Week 7 below:

View attachment 886549
The little guy in the middle was just a random houseplant I thought I'd try to bring back to life in the grow tent. It worked!
View attachment 886550

Week 8:
View attachment 886551

For week 9, I pulled everything out of the tent, the light couldn't raise any higher, and the plants were getting too close. I removed the shelving and scrubbed the floor of the tent clean (it was quite brown from dry run-off). I also picked my first couple of dead leaves off the very bottom of the plants. It's time to switch from veg to flower. I flipped the switch on my LED light and adjusted my automatic timer. Went from 18/6 to 12/12. No, I did not do it gradually, an hour per day, because "ain't nobody got time for dat!"

View attachment 886552
View attachment 886553
View attachment 886554

Unfortunately, after switching to flower, my life got VERY hectic. Work was insanely busy, I was out of town almost every weekend, and I have literally ZERO pictures of weeks 10-12. And to top it all off, I had scheduled vacation coming up, and I was going to be away from home for 8-10 days. I watered the absolute fuck out of my babies (I really do feel like a proud papa to these plant-girls) and crossed my fingers.

I just got home yesterday, the plants have been in flower for 4 weeks now (week 10, 11, 12, and 13) and here's what they look like today;
View attachment 886555

There are bud sites forming! I am very VERY excited.

I will update this thread as is prudent. Thank you anyone/everyone who decided to read this rambling nonsense.

Since light is essential, I purchased another 600watt led light. Type of light matter maybe, but I got good results with my 2 led lights and mine total cost about 150.

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

You can chop the tops of when the trichomes are ready and leave the popcorn buds to ripen. Or you can dry it all and use the lower stuff to make butter or tinctures. Looks good, donā€™t get impatient and harvest early, the buds really fill out towards the end.

T

TheOmicronic

Okay. Week 16-17 update. Today is day 63 of flowering. There's no way these plants are going to be ready for harvest by day 70. So I'll have to wait for Trichombes. One of my plants has quite a few yellow/purple leaves today. Any ideas? Nothing has really changed from my perspective.

September 5th

MadSciNtst

MadSciNtst

Okay. Week 16-17 update. Today is day 63 of flowering. There's no way these plants are going to be ready for harvest by day 70. So I'll have to wait for Trichombes. One of my plants has quite a few yellow/purple leaves today. Any ideas? Nothing has really changed from my perspective.

View attachment 893826
I suggest buying this....$45 on Amazon. They troubleshoot everything

1597249A C00F 4106 9A7F C9F9D255F68C
MadSciNtst

MadSciNtst

View attachment 893826
They say itā€™s a nutrient problem. When I get hoke Iā€™ll snap a pic of what I was told to get

MadSciNtst

MadSciNtst

View attachment 893826

This helps with plant deficiency. But that book will help plenty.

E3FB40C7 4387 4FCD 903D 39ED1225BC11
basscaptain

basscaptain

Lot of yrs using water out of my fish tank dirt out of the yard with adding CHEAP potting soil......Good Job

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Your plants look pretty good for the trials and tribulations that you have had to deal with. Don't listen to the finishing times that seed producers quote... you will do a lot better letting the plants fully grow and finish when THEY are ready, which could be as long as 12 weeks or more with some Sativa strains. Removing leaves during vegging is a balancing act, as the leaves are what makes the plants grow. Removing too many of them, especially the large fan leave, will slow down the plant's growth and give you smaller buds. The idea is to remove a few strategic leaves that allow light to get into the plant. You had the right idea, but maybe just got a little carried away (but overall you did a nice job!). They look like they are getting a little hungry, judging by the slight beginnings of large leaf yellowing. A light feeding might benefit your plants, but it's best not to feed too much Nitrogen during flowering... maybe a half dose compared to vegging feedings.

Dan789

Dan789

No answers to my noob questions? Come on guru's!

Here's a closeup of one of the buds. Sorry for the purple hue, I took the picture with the grow light still turned on.
Please restrain yourself from posting bluple light pictures. Please wait till lights out, then use a flash, we will all appreciate your consideration, plus no one can tell fuck all about whatā€™s going on with your plants in that light. Just sayin.

T

TheOmicronic

I already apologized for the purple pictures! And most of them were just measurement photos anyways. At any rate, I didn't realize it was such a faux pas. I apologize again and I will endeavor not to post anymore purple pictures.

Here come week 18-19 pictures. I did invest in a loupe to keep an eye on the trichombes... but I can't for the life of me manage to take an in-focus picture THROUGH the loupe. So I simply zoomed in as far as I could with my cell phone camera to get the picture you will see below.

Buds are starting to get fat. Leaves are continuing to die (at this point I presume it's simply normal growth cycle) and I am not making any changes to how I do things. I continue to pluck any dead plant material.

Outdoor temperatures here have dropped to 2c degrees (35f for you yanks) and my indoor grow tent temperatures have remained around 20c (+/- a degree)

I digress, onto the pics;

September 16th   001

September 16th   002

September 16th   003

ahemait

ahemait

Looking frosty!

Only thing I'll add is that the cheap LED lights are cheap. They generally lie about the performance. Get an equally cheap watt meter and check it. For $100-$150 there's little to no chance is equivalent to a 600w. It will still produce flowers but a legit 600w or equivalent will probably double or better your end result, at least.

Top Bottom